Kevin Bacon

The 280mm REAR brake thread

Tempting... especially as the back of my rado gets VERY light when braking hard (as in my mate said the rear tyres were leaving the ground when braking on less-than-smooth country roads)

Tempting... especially as the back of my rado gets VERY light when braking hard (as in my mate said the rear tyres were leaving the ground when braking on less-than-smooth country roads)

That's part of the fun though isn't it! :D

Not when I've been heel-toe braking one the twisty roads and had to throw in more than 90 degrees opposite lock to counter the rear... it's so light I reckon the only thing keeping the tyres in contact with the ground is the rear seats and spare tyre :lol:

I guess I should have progressively pushed the limits instead hehe

These brakes won't help that I'm afraid :D

The only benefit of these is to make the rear brakes look less like saucers when running 17s and improved bite and pedal feel at low to moderate speeds. Brake dive shifting all the weight forward doesn't change unfortunately!

What you should really do before these is get a coilover with adjustable damping to reduce brake dive :D Dial in some beefy amounts of low speed bump and braking improves quite a lot 8)

Or you could attach some lead planks to the rear bumper :lol:

i hate it when this thread pops up, i need some of these in my life, my rusty little things look terrible and let my car down big time :(

These brakes won't help that I'm afraid :D

The only benefit of these is to make the rear brakes look less like saucers when running 17s and improved bite and pedal feel at low to moderate speeds. Brake dive shifting all the weight forward doesn't change unfortunately!

What you should really do before these is get a coilover with adjustable damping to reduce brake dive :D Dial in some beefy amounts of low speed bump and braking improves quite a lot 8)

Or you could attach some lead planks to the rear bumper :lol:

But won't putting bigger brakes on the rear and adjusting the bias slightly rearwards reducing front braking force and increase rear, so same braking force, but more evenly distributed?

Either way, my rear calipers and discs look gash, they're too small, they're rusty and horrible... and I want to get my front ones painted too, so get these and the Brembos painted, as well as my Compomotive centre caps, all the same colour

i hate it when this thread pops up, i need some of these in my life, my rusty little things look terrible and let my car down big time :(

I'm going to bump it every day until you buy some :lol:

Once I can afford some, I might look into the viability of a 5-10 person group buy on these, see if a bit of money can't be saved on them

But won't putting bigger brakes on the rear and adjusting the bias slightly rearwards reducing front braking force and increase rear, so same braking force, but more evenly distributed?

But how are you going to adjust the rear brake bias without a manual adjuster?

You are right though. Race cars have manually adjustable Front to Rear brake bias to help get round that problem, aswell as rock hard suspension :D

Need to be careful though, since the front brakes are the strongest and therefore need to do the most work, otherwise braking efficiency could reduce if the weaker rear brakes are asked to do more work than they're designed to do. And by that I mean caliper size, aswell as disc diameter / thickness, pad size etc. The OE rear calipers and pads are tiny and wouldn't last long if there was a 50/50 bias split.

But how are you going to adjust the rear brake bias without a manual adjuster?

You are right though. Race cars have manually adjustable Front to Rear brake bias to help get round that problem, aswell as rock hard suspension :D

Need to be careful though, since the front brakes are the strongest and therefore need to do the most work, otherwise braking efficiency could reduce if the weaker rear brakes are asked to do more work than they're designed to do. And by that I mean caliper size, aswell as disc diameter / thickness, pad size etc. The OE rear calipers and pads are tiny and wouldn't last long if there was a 50/50 bias split.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorspor ... /1719/3480 omnomnomnom :D

It's the rock hard suspension that I don't want on these UK roads... if they were as smooth as a track I'd be happy, but if I even look at a pothole my back tenses and starts to beg "no, no, no no no not again, please"

I would only adjust the bias if there were bigger calipers and discs/pads to compensate... otherwise it's like trying to put 600bhp through skinny tyres, just ain't gonna happen and you're gonna go through them in minutes

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Braking/Brake_Proportioning_Valves/Tilton_Screw_Type_Proportioning_Valve/1719/3480 omnomnomnom :D

It's the rock hard suspension that I don't want on these UK roads... if they were as smooth as a track I'd be happy, but if I even look at a pothole my back tenses and starts to beg "no, no, no no no not again, please"

I would only adjust the bias if there were bigger calipers and discs/pads to compensate... otherwise it's like trying to put 600bhp through skinny tyres, just ain't gonna happen and you're gonna go through them in minutes

Nice valve :D In fact, the next time my axle has to come down for new bushes (which won't be long), I will be binning the troublesome VAG bias adjuster and replacing it with one of those bad boys!

Obviously it goes without saying that some inexperienced drivers can come a cropper with too much rear brake bias, but if you know your car and your skills, then why not? There are many occasions where I brake into a corner and want more rear braking strength.

The next issue is uprating the rear brakes. Let's face it, these are just a band aid fix and more for looks. What you want is the MK5 R32 setup, with proper cartridge bearing hubs (no play), vented discs and bigger calipers :D

A lot of people will argue what's the point on a FWD car, but like you've found, there is a need for proper rear brakes beyond what VW predicted the Corrado would be subjected to.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Braking/Brake_Proportioning_Valves/Tilton_Screw_Type_Proportioning_Valve/1719/3480 omnomnomnom :D

Nice valve :D In fact, the next time my axle has to come down for new bushes (which won't be long), I will be binning the troublesome VAG bias adjuster and replacing it with one of those bad boys!

Obviously it goes without saying that some inexperienced drivers can come a cropper with too much rear brake bias, but if you know your car and your skills, then why not? There are many occasions where I brake into a corner and want more rear braking strength.

The next issue is uprating the rear brakes. Let's face it, these are just a band aid fix and more for looks. What you want is the MK5 R32 setup, with proper cartridge bearing hubs (no play), vented discs and bigger calipers :D

A lot of people will argue what's the point on a FWD car, but like you've found, there is a need for proper rear brakes beyond what VW predicted the Corrado would be subjected to.

So is the R32 rear brake conversion something you're looking to do in the future? If so, I might go straight to that as it'd save a couple hundred £s

Will something like that - http://www.autotech.com/prod_brakes_rrbrakeconv.htm - fit pretty much straight on, or will the hubs and everything need to be changed too?

i just want massive rear brakes, even if its just for show :lol:

hopefully the mo's hide them a bit though

/\ :lol:

Monster stoppers do look cool if nothing else! I love the new Ferraris and big porkers with massive calipers that barely fit behind the wheels 8)

So is the R32 rear brake conversion something you're looking to do in the future? If so, I might go straight to that as it'd save a couple hundred £s

Will something like that - http://www.autotech.com/prod_brakes_rrbrakeconv.htm - fit pretty much straight on, or will the hubs and everything need to be changed too?

The problem is the hubs. Our Corrados use medievil stub axles and taper bearings. MK4s onwards use a proper roller bearing hub arrangement like the front hubs and only that setup seems to get any development in the aftermarket. Only JMR on here has fitted MK4 rear brakes to his Corrado and IIRC a fair bit of fabrication and welding was required, so it's not impossible.

It has been a project in my mind for years, but like anything else that currently works, it's moved lower down the in-tray!

Another issue with mega rear brakes is calipers. I think only Wilwood offer a 4 pot caliper with built in hand brake, but I bet it still needs a lot of faffing to work with a Corrado. Or you could go down the supercar route of a 4 pot caliper, plus a seperate smaller one for the handbrake.

ah, I'm still on standard rear calipers - that must be the difference? hmmm, was about to put some mk4s on too..