Sign in to follow this  
steverado

Corrado engines and MPG

Hi, I am going to be buying a corrado, just wondering about the mpg around town of the various different engines, from what I understand the G60 is the worst closely followed by the VR6, the mpg of the 2.0 engines is best but they are not as quick as the 1.8 16v, any advice or information would be greatly appreciated, cheers Steve

I'd do a search on the forum for peoples experiences, but in general there's not a huge amount in it over all the Corrados, although the rare 8v 2L cars will get several mpg better than any of the others.

In town a 1.8 16v is particularly bad as they tend to run rich and have the lowest ratio gearbox and the worst torque at low revs.

But at 2.9 litres and weighing in the heaviest I wouldn't bet on a VR6 winning the Shell economy run :)

I have an N reg 2.0lt 8v and have recorded average of just over 34 mpg since i had the car. I do lots of small journey around town with occasional long runs. Have seen 50mpg on run for car that has 130K on clock and does not use oil at is smooth and quite well impressed.Was going to change for diesel A3 or golf but with fuel prices as they are will stick with what ive got

Geoff

from what I understand the G60 is the worst closely followed by the VR6

It depends how you drive but the G60 and VR6 can be superb in standard form for MPG compared with the 16V and the extra performance they have. I've never managed to get more than 30 out of a valver whilst driving normally...

I have seen both G60's and VR's deliver over 35 MPG on long runs with a mixture of driving - Yan's G60 returned nearly 40MPG on the way back from Stonor park yesterday and altho he was running in the new apex seals on the charger, we were still making progress at 80MPH and also sat in traffic a couple of times (which is something that usually pulls the G60's MPG figured down and the charger is run off the crank.)

They are light cars compared with new ones so It's all about having a 15 year old engine thats serviced and setup well, all sensors working and running clean and efficiently with a good oil.

Have to agree with the above, apart from the 8v which is fantastic on fuel (even compared to dervs nowadays) the G60 is probebly the best on fuel closely followed by the VR6, I average around the 30mpg mark with both engines as I haven't got a heavy right foot, whereas in every valver i've had i've never managed to get much above 26mpg overall which is pretty poor when you consider how little power they give.

My 8v (110K) wasn't that good on gas, Used to get around 30 MPG. Not as good as my old KR Golf (170+K) which used to get around 35MPG. Who knows how accurate the MFA is though!

I know we are supposed to be talking mpg here but i think it's interesting that the G60 is only 0.2 secs faster 0-60mph than a 1.8 valver.

Yes the G60 is only an 8 valve engine but is it really worth forking out for that supercharger rebuild.

Anyways....nuff said by me.

thanks for all your help, some interesting comments, kinda putting me off the 16v and more g60 territory, I have about £2.5k to play with, maybe a bit more what would you all recommend, anything in overparticular to look out for like when timing belt needs doing or when work needs doing to the supercharger, also if anyone knows of any for sale within about 100 miles of BH21 (Dorset), that would be great, thanks

I know we are supposed to be talking mpg here but i think it's interesting that the G60 is only 0.2 secs faster 0-60mph than a 1.8 valver.

Yes the G60 is only an 8 valve engine but is it really worth forking out for that supercharger rebuild.

i was thinking nearly the same thing. laughing at the 0 - 60 for 2.0 16v, 10.2 seconds?!?!

oh, and 126 top speed :lol:

The reason the g60 0-60 time isn't great is that you cant hit 60 in 2nd gear in one, and really speaking they're not that fast as standard, but a couple of hundred quids worth of sensible mods makes the world of difference to them which cant be said with valvers. Also, i've said it before and i'll say it again, £350 every 45k miles really isn't much of an expense or regular hassle in real terms.

Drive a chip/pulley'd G60 and i'd be very suprised if you would prefer the 16v after, let alone be happy to be getting less MPG from one :eek:

The MFA is only a guide so isn't deadly accurate, but no matter what it says I allways got fantastic MPG from the 8v's i've had (including my MK3 cab :camp: )

I get around 400 miles per tank from mine, that works out at 30MPG - yet the MAF will show anything up to 35. I do mainly steady motor miles so think I should get better!

Ok, lets put all this 16v rubbish to bed, if they're properly set up and generally healthy then they give great mpg, bear in mind that most of the quoted mpgs for 1.8 16v's are for 18 yr old engines.

I'm going for some kind of :dorky: :dorky: award here, but below is the last 7 years of running my K-jet 16v, with a 2L block, it's worth noting it gave about 2mpg better as a 1.8.

These are tank to tank measurements and the journeys are all much the same, commuting with mixture of M-way, part back road and part town driving in rush hour.

Despite the 16v's having the shortest legged gearboxes it'll show 42-45mpg if you sit at a steady 70mph on the motorway.

and as a benchmark, if I use my 1.6 mk4 golf for the same journeys it only manages about 40 miles more out of the same sized fuel tank, struggling to better it by a few mpg.

The 1.8 16v is a great car, drove 300 miles last summer non stop and still had the good side of a quarter tank left..wasn't even driving that sensibly! (A444 when quiet, anyone? ;))

I'm not sure why it would be interpreted as 'rubbish' :o i'm going from my experience of having run four 9a valvers over the last 6 years, ranging from a 65k mile minter to a 135k mile not-so-minter and i've never got above 35mpg on a long run - i've averaged within the twenties overall on every one of them , usually around the 25mpg mark. Im not making it up :lol:

I've never owned a KR rado so cant comment on them :camp:

Thanks again for all your help, by the sounds of it they are all much of a muchness the main factor probably being set up and service history, not really sure what to go for, ideally i would like a vr6 but insurance will be slightly more and for the money i am willing to pay £2.5 - £3k only likely to get very high mileage examples, what would you all suggest?

keep your mind open and go and look at as many as you can, TBH if I was looking for another one I'd be more interested in general condition than which engine, they're all nice cars to have, just not a badly rusted one :)

High mileage isn't the problem - it's whether or not its been well maintained, and whether the majority of work has already been completed when you buy it - whichever model you choose.

Ultimately, It depends how important performance is to you, versus running costs - and that in turn will depend how many miles you're going to do.

A word of warning too - I have a VR and struggle to get above low thirties mpg even on a run (typically I average under 30mpg), yet others say 35mpg and more is no problem - and I think the main problem is just how restrained can you be when you drive? Even with fuel prices as they are now and doing 400 miles a week, I just can't drive it economically all the time - I like the noise too much :D

I've considered alternative options recently (even public transport :cuckoo: ) but concluded I'd still rather pay the extra fuel costs than take public transport - and if I had a second car (lpg or diesel), then what I'd save in fuel costs would then be spent on insurance and maintenance. So I'll stick with Corrado as a daily driver, and just enjoy it :grin:

I have a VR and struggle to get above low thirties mpg even on a run (typically I average under 30mpg), yet others say 35mpg and more is no problem.

I think it's about shortness of journeys and low speed commuting myself. I saw 36 mpg on my VR at the end of a 200 mile journey at an average speed of 50mph, but that was over such a long period of time that the cold-start enrichment at the start of the journey had dropped off the rolling average in the MFA..

Meanwhile, about town, doing short journeys, it's not uncommon for my VR to average 18 mpg.. and that gets worse in the winter. I can see as low as 11 or 12 mpg when it's really cold ...

Around town and driving like a granny I get 28-30. Long journeys my Vr6 will hit 35mpg no prob...

At the mo from £50 of fuel at £1.31 a litre im avergaing 310 to 320miles to and from work a month.

Not bad really...

Mind you floor it and the figures drop quicker than Jordans knickers!!!..lol

Executive Summary:

Get a VR6 if you can afford it.

If not then get a G60.

Ignore the others - they are poop. :salute:

hi people

i drive a modded G60 (chip pulley exhaust air filter about 190 at flywheel) and mpg according to the mpa on mine is on a cold morning to work is 5mpg as it never comes off choke i only live 4 miles aways so it dont get warm enough and now the warm weather here i get 21mpg to work as car warms up quicker

driving like a loon i can get it down to 12-17 mpg

just something to thing about if you only live a few miles from your place of work !!!

also i agreed with the above the G60 is a performance car not a honda jazz hence no good mpg but lots of power

cheers stu ....

thanks for all your help, just to let you all know i decided to go for a vr6 in the end, just purchased it, more details and pics to follow