Sign in to follow this  
phildude33

which corrado

hi all,

i,m currently an r32 man,but unfortunately house move means getting rid of it.so being smitten with the vw world i've decided to look at corrados.the proplem is which one??i'm guessing vr6 as it's close to the golf i've got but i would appreciate any input from you guys as you know them best.also could you tell me the difference between them all.thanks for any help.phildude33.

Well as you've got an R32 now, I'm guessing you won't be getting a Corrado for the fuel economy, so I'd be looking at a VR6 or G60.

The G60s are very unique and rarer than the VR6, but need to be rebuilt on a regular (but not too horribly frequent) basis.

The VRs have a slightly heavier nose, so don't feel quite as nimble, but they do have that VR sound :grin:

The best way to tell is to drive a couple of each to get a feel for them though :)

the 1.8 8v engines have great power delivery and the g60 is a fantastic car to drive even as standard. Yes there are the supercharger rebuild costs that vary depending on how modified they are and yes you always want more power. But I am getting just under 190bhp at the moment, I could go further with the g-lader, but it will cost a lot to get 215bhp out of it. The alternative is swaping out the g-lader for a turbo. junkie got over 300bhp out of his 1.8 8v turbo and had great fun for years until his recent need for even more speed :roll: and this allows you to keep the light and nimble feeling corrado. Don't get me wrong the idea of a super or turbo charged vr6 is very tempting, but it seems like everyone has been there and done that like the usual 1.8 20vt conversions. If you want to feel right at home you might want to try and find someone that's selling their 24v conversion corrado :grin:

where can i get a used one supercharger for cheap or is it possible to bypass the supercharger so you dont use it

:offtopic:

hello again,

thanks for all the advice but i think its going to be the r6.after getting used to the golf i think i'd miss the power and torque.also there seems to be a general concessus that the g60's have expensive charger issues.am i right in my thinking.??is the vr6 generaly more reliable.thanks again for your help. :salute:

get a g60 dude! generally most corrado's have been looked after and the chances are you could find a nice g60 that has history of supercharger rebuilds, then you dont even need to worry about it going wrong. although vr's do sound nice, the whine from the g60 is very addictive! do it! lol

generally most corrado's have been looked after

:eek: - I hate to say it but that's certainly not my experience of them! Finding one that hasn't been neglected or abused is becoming very difficult!

Hiya pal.

When I first thought about gettin a Corrado a year ago I went thru the same thoughts, which one.

At first I decided on a 16v as that would be cheaper to insure.

Then I thought sod it, I would be happy with a 16v but everytime I heard a VR go near me I would wish I had held on a bit longer and bought one.

So I waited a few months longer and bought a VR6

Now I couldnt imagine drivin any other Corrado, VR's rule :clap:

I've had a G60 and VR6s- definately the VR6 IMHO. G60 is good, but the VR just seems much more the complete package- it's a 6 cylinder V6 afterall 8) Sounds much better than any of the others, too ;)

I owned a 1.8 16v for a couple of years, now got the VR, I wouldn't swap back put it that way.

Not driven or owned a G60 so can't really speak for them. They're certainly popular on here though.

Test drive a few before you commit I'd say...

generally most corrado's have been looked after

:eek: - I hate to say it but that's certainly not my experience of them! Finding one that hasn't been neglected or abused is becoming very difficult!

yea i have to admit your right. if it was brought from someone on here, then there is a better chance it's been looked after, but with my g60 i brought it and within a week the supercharger had blown. i may have to retract my previous statement. go for a vr6! lol i mite be going down that route soon