Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

Mounting SPAL fans.

Just a quick question for those in the know, how do you mount a SPAL fan? I take it you ditch all the metal work on the original and just screw it into the exisitng bolt holes on the bare radiator??

Existing rad with a 24v is just too close. :(

Pics of installed ones and which one to order and where from would be excellent! (dont want too much do I..?)

Thanks in advance.

Ive not got one myself but I think you ditch the metal work of the original fans, then the Spal mounts with straps that slide through the radiator (Thats how Kenlowe fans mount, I think Spal fans are fitted the same way)

Hi.

Mounted a 12" Spal at the weekend.. Kept all metal work. Removed junker from VW and ground of the mounts. Marked up the Spal n drilled 4 holes. 4 bolts 8 nuts n Bob yr errrrrr uncle as it were.

This all on a G60 with front mounted Intercoler.

Bin the housings,its extra weight! and you can get ties that go through the rad to hold on the fans or if using the 12" slight fiddling you can secure it to the edges of the rad.

Sorry for the thread hijack but If you have a front mounted intercooler can the mounting ties that pass through the radiator still be used?

Sorry for the thread hijack but If you have a front mounted intercooler can the mounting ties that pass through the radiator still be used?

yes.

What would people reccommend for a 24v? Would just the one 11" or 12" be sufficient or do I need two?

Where do I get the straps from?

Glad you ditch the existing housing as thats the main bit I want to get rid of.

cheers

I have 2 11" fans which i fitted into the metal housing. the main weight is from the existing fan itself and the Spals are very light. I did think of mounting the fans directly on the radiator using tie wraps and rubber pads but i felt that it may not have been secure enough or the water temp may cause the plastic to become brittle after a while.

I used some rubber pads to ensure the fans fitted securely to the housing especailly as the auxiliary fan housing is much shallower than the main fan housing portion.

I put a 11" spal on the front of my rad,cooling fine,bought mine off ebay

Yup, from the sounds of things a single Spal fan is more than sufficient cooling even for a 'charged engine...

If you use the 'ties' that pass through the rad, id recommend passing them through, stick the square clip on (but these don't hold well) so then stick a chopped off tie wrap head on over that...

Much more secure.

Neil. :)

Got mine from Ebay too.

As a note make sure you are buying a 'SPAL' not a 'AS SPAL' No need to buy a copy with prob cheap internals n bearings...

Oh n go for a curved blade model. Much better than straight.. Look for Kenlowe and Pacet these are just as good, Kenlowe are awesome.

Bought one earlier off the bay, genuine SPAL 11" sucker coming with a fitting kit. I read on a different thread that haywire only needs one on his VRT, so I'll just run with the one on mine for now and see how it goes. Curved blades, seller emailed me and said its a newer version with an uprated motor too.

Is the general concensus now to link the speed one and two wires to act as a back up incase the rad stat fails?

Cheers.

Bought one earlier off the bay, genuine SPAL 11" sucker coming with a fitting kit. I read on a different thread that haywire only needs one on his VRT, so I'll just run with the one on mine for now and see how it goes. Curved blades, seller emailed me and said its a newer version with an uprated motor too.

Is the general concensus now to link the speed one and two wires to act as a back up incase the rad stat fails?

Cheers.

Do you not belive me?

Do you not belive me?

I am sorry. I must have missed your comment earlier. Or was I just making the point that one 11" Spal fan has been proven to be sufficient for a turbo charged VR6 so I can therefore be confident it'll cope with a N/A motor....? I never make a decision based on one persons perspective / opinion, you did help with the clarification though. Thank you.

oh and are you as short with people in real life as you are in your posts? Or just too lazy to type more than is completely necessary? :lol: