Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Brake carrier bolts

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone had as much trouble as me getting the :censored: carrier bolts off?

I've tried a punch to shock them loose, heat, extension bar and even some of that aerosol that suppose to freeze the bolt. Nothing seems to work?

Any more ideas?

I'm having the same problem! I just asked if the Irwin bolt extractor set grips cap heads on another post....if not then Facom do a 16mm external excentric gripper that grabs on to round. Iv'e used other size grippers through work and they do the job, maybe I'll have to invest.

I'm having the same problem! I just asked if the Irwin bolt extractor set grips cap heads on another post....if not then Facom do a 16mm external excentric gripper that grabs on to round. Iv'e used other size grippers through work and they do the job, maybe I'll have to invest.

How much is the gripper?

Let me know if you manage to get the gripper to work or get them out some other way, ill do the same.

Im going to go down to the garage that i go to, if he can fit me in. See if he has anymore ideas or any luck with them.

3 sm3gging hours i spent trying to get them off and i got a bit high rate about it. :bad-words:

EDIT - just read your post, grippers it is.

Best success I've had is to hammer an imperial 12 point socket onto them. I can't remember the size but it went on fine with persuasion from a lump hammer and removed the bolts nicely.

Best to replace with new ones (which are a larger size head).

The thing is, its a allen head not hex. Sorry i may have forgot to mention its the rear brake carriers. Though i would imagine the front being bad to get off too, though not as bad due to the being hex bolts dont damn allen key bolts.

You need irwins in your life. I stripped my whole rear beam in less than 30 mins with some, they really are one of the most underrated tools.

And my 16mm reference was to the Irwin socket size you need, and I guessed it'd be the rears!

You need irwins in your life. I stripped my whole rear beam in less than 30 mins with some, they really are one of the most underrated tools.

And my 16mm reference was to the Irwin socket size you need, and I guessed it'd be the rears!

Will the Irwins get round head bolts off i.e. allen key bolts?

Oh and monkey, but your other avatar back on :lol:

Oh and monkey, but your other avatar back on :lol:[/quote:1cpvphcr]

Yes it will get allen bolts off.

Keep the avtar boost. :wink:

Oh and monkey, but your other avatar back on :lol:

Yes it will get allen bolts off.

Keep the avtar boost. :wink:[/quote:22ag8sso]

Ill go get some now then.

Preferred the Prirate Boost Monkey!

The thing is, its a allen head not hex. Sorry i may have forgot to mention its the rear brake carriers. Though i would imagine the front being bad to get off too, though not as bad due to the being hex bolts dont damn allen key bolts.

I know they are allen head socket cap bolts I was thinking of rear carrier bolts too. Hammer a 12 point socket in a just large enough imperial size on them, it grips great.

I can find out the size I used if you want?

Theres no other use for those cheapo old imperial sockets rolling round in the toolkit :) Make sure its half inch drive and use a breaker bar.

I know they are allen head socket cap bolts I was thinking of rear carrier bolts too. Hammer a 12 point socket in a just large enough imperial size on them, it grips great.

I can find out the size I used if you want?

Theres no other use for those cheapo old imperial sockets rolling round in the toolkit :) Make sure its half inch drive and use a breaker bar.

yeah if you could find out the size that would be great. I've just got back from machine mart with the bolt grippers. I hope i bought the right kit - i bought the actual kit not the expansion pack.

I applied some heat to mine with a blowtorch and then whacked them with a hammer. They came off fairly easy afterwards.

Well i spent 3 hours last night with a blow torch, hammer, wd40 and freeze aerosol none of which didnt work. The Irwin grippers worked no problem at all. i cant believe how much easier it was. Definately a tool every mechanic or DIY mechanic should have. 10 out of 10! :D

I hope you replaced those bolts with new ones and caked them in copper grease? M10 x 1.25, 10.5 tensile rating IIRC.

The VW ones are schitt because the allen head slot is way too shallow and you end up rounding it out. They seem to be soft as stilton aswell.

The Irwins are brilliant

I hope you replaced those bolts with new ones and caked them in copper grease? M10 x 1.25, 10.5 tensile rating IIRC.

The VW ones are schitt because the allen head slot is way too shallow and you end up rounding it out. They seem to be soft as stilton aswell.

The Irwins are brilliant

Job now done!

Yeah dude i did, the grippers made mince meat out of them anyway so i replaced and copper greased them, as you say.

Seriously, i cant praise the irwins enough, I had all 4 bolts out within 5 minutes :D