fla

Bleeding Power steering pump

I've refilled the ps system but te pump is still noisy. Is there a 'correct' way to bleed it? Fuid level is ok, after about 10 minutes of steering lock to lock albeit stationary, and the squeek does cause the fluid to foam up a little. Any other pointers appreciated. TIA

I thpught they self bled? in the past of jack both front wheels off the floor and turned locked to lock 3 times

sounds to me like the pressure valve in the pump is sticking, so it thinks the rack is constantly calling for pressure, run it for long like this and your pressure hose to the rack will start to leak.

You need to make sure the drilling in the pump body is smooth and not scored in any way, or the valve will stick, also amke sure the little gauze filter in the end of the valve is clean.

OK, where exactly is the filter? Would it take longer to bleed through as its was comoletely drained or is it likely that there is some fault in the pump? And does it matter that the wheels were on the ground when turning lock to lock, although thats not good practice for any tyre?

Its a VR, btw.

You need to prime by hand without the belt as they can't be run dry!

Then start engine with res cap off and turn steering from lock to lock a few times, go for a drive and do the same thing in a car park if still noisey...

I've done a few Corrado's not with the above method but sometimes it takes a few days driving for the air to work it's way out and become silent again...

You need to prime by hand without the belt as they can't be run dry!

Then start engine with res cap off and turn steering from lock to lock a few times, go for a drive and do the same thing in a car park if still noisey...

I've done a few Corrado's not with the above method but sometimes it takes a few days driving for the air to work it's way out and become silent again...

i'll second what supercharged says - when i did mine, i had the engine running with the car on stands for quite a while and turned the wheels a lot more than 3 times lock to lock before it stopped squealing - it will sort itself out, you just need to give it time and keep an eye on the reservoir while it's doing that.

the kindest way is just to have it running with the car in the air and keep on winding it lock to lock until the sound goes away, which may take longer than you think (or it did for me anyway)

hope it all works out for you buddy

OK, where exactly is the filter?

remove the pressure hose from the pump, largish nut, once the hose union is removed there is then another bolt head that when unscrewed pulls out the pressure relief valve, a spring and a second section that has a tiny gauze filter at the end.

When it's out, stick your finger inside the drilling in the pump body and feel for any scoring.

Just out of interest, whenever I've gone to prime my pump I've found the fluid tends to just run straight through anyway and attempting to prime it just made a mess running fluid everywhere???

Just out of interest, whenever I've gone to prime my pump I've found the fluid tends to just run straight through anyway and attempting to prime it just made a mess running fluid everywhere???

i think he meant by turning the pump by hand when on the car and plumbed in, before you put the ribbed belt on.... (not certain)

seems like your being very kind to it doing that - not heard of doing that before and i'm not sure how necessary it is, as provided you give the fluid a minute or two to run down, then the fluid should be already at the pump anyway on startup simply by gravity from running down from the reservoir....

I've been bleeding my PAS system tonight and I have the front up in the air and started turning lock to lock. The fluid reservoir dropped so I topped up again then put the cap back on, I continued turning lock to lock until I noticed a big squirt of fluid come up out of the reservoir bottle!! This never happened last time I changed the pump.

I didnt have the engine running if that makes any difference.

Should this happen or do I have a problem somewhere please?

i think its because there's no fluid circulation and it was just a short section of the circuit. Turn the pulley by hand with the belt off to make sure the pump is full. I don't think there is an issue.

Thanks guys, which way do I spin the pump please? clockwise or anticlockwise?

I would have thought in the direction of the rotation of the engine when the belt is fitted? or could i be wrong?

I've been bleeding my PAS system tonight and I have the front up in the air and started turning lock to lock. The fluid reservoir dropped so I topped up again then put the cap back on, I continued turning lock to lock until I noticed a big squirt of fluid come up out of the reservoir bottle!! This never happened last time I changed the pump.

I didnt have the engine running if that makes any difference.

Should this happen or do I have a problem somewhere please?

You need the engine running, I'd guess the squirt was a compressed air pocket purging itself taking a little fluid with it?

Am sure it runs clockwise.

All i've done in the past when refitting my pump is mount it in place, connect it up but leave the top bolt/pipe off and fill it up with a syringe, Spin it by hand a few times and reconnect the pipe. Start the engine and it did make a noise, moved steering about. Sometimes the noise is still there but after turning car on and off and having a quick drive it disappeared.