VAG-hag

Brembo 4 pots - will they go on?

theres some mega cheep 312s on there im guessing there just false economy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-R32-2-3-3 ... 240%3A1318

In my view the economics of buying the cheapy brake discs is the same as buying a cheap crash helmet. How much you should pay depends on how much you value your car and your personal well being. It's as simple as that.

that guy always has brembos on was bidding on a set from him a few months ago he only lives dwn the road from me

ok got everything together for my brembos except bolts to fit my callipers to the car i have bolts for the calliper to the carrier but not for carrier to car .

anybody no what bolts i need ?

cheers mort

dunno how accurate it is but found this:

There are two sets of bolts down there, firstly the ones that attach through your carrier of choice through and screw into the actual hub itself, you should be able to use the same ones that came off the car when you demounted whatever brakes you had on previously.

If its the bolts that go through the brembo caliper and bolt into the caliper carrier then they are as rare as rocking horse poo, you willnot be able to find them outside of Seat or a Porsche dealer. You may be able to get some from a fasteners supplier but they will not be threaded all the way to the end.

This in itself is not a problem, OEM bolts have to be replaced every time they are torqued up which is annoying because they are stretch bolts that have a lesser tensile strength but are heat treated to make them more ductile so that they stretch instead of failing.

If you do use non OEM bolts its far from a problem just make sure that they are high quality bolts with the numbers 12.9 on top (tensile strength in tonnes)

The bolt spec is M12x1.5x 67 although 70's or 80's will do you may need to chop the 80's back a bit (perfectly normal)

999.067.050.09 is the porsche part number expect to pay 25 quid for OEM porsche

6KL615141 is the seat part number

If you do find some at a fasteners depot expect to pay 2 quid each

I have some I can get to you by weekend in the post unless you can collect from Preston

If Ive spent the last 2 paragraphs waffling about the wrong bolts - apologies!

The other ones are M12x1.5 x 35 and you shoud try allthreads in Preston who have some, they will not be shouldered like the originals so you'll need washers and spring washers.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/228922/1473529.aspx

Hope that helps

does anyone no what cars use the same calliper as the seat leaon cupra r?

fiat coupe 20vt and the 406 pug ???

cheers mort

On 1/7/2009 at 9:56 AM, VAG-hag said:

Found this VERY useful info on UK MKIVs. Enjoy....

"The 986S (Boxster S) has the same setup as a 996 Carrera 2/4 Boxster S calipers are Red,..... 996 Calipers are Painted Gloss Black or Silver as an option.

Buyer beware boxster rears 986.352.421 & 422 are configured for a 20mm disc and you cannot physically get this caliper over the top of a 25mm wide VAG 312 Disc. The difference ison the pad pegs, they extend further out onthe rears to fit the thinner discs

In summary

Boxster (2.5 & 2.7) Fronts - All Good (Need reversing though)

Boxster (2.5 & 2.7) Rears - No Good for VAG

Boxster S & Carrera 2/4 Fronts (and also 996 Twin Turbo rears) - Good for VAG on custom 330mm discs - search Rays (aRd)'s posts

Boxster S rears - Good for VAG dont need reversing

996 Carrera 2/4 Rears - Good for VAG dont need reversing

The calipers that DO need reversing have larger pistons, some see these bigger pistons as a benefit for ultimate stopping power with racing pads on a track. For fast street the smaller pistoned calipers all give forehead against windscreen performance with an absolute solid pedal because smaller pistons need less pedal travel which is Hydraulics 101!

Mike has 325mm Discs on 996 Rears (996.352.421 & 422), 325mm is the geometric limit for this caliper, its impossible to get pad placement without the disc hitting the inside of the caliper on anything bigger if you look at the pics theres a nats c0ck between the disc and caliper

Its 2mm bigger diamter than the 323mm brembo kit (anybody whos married knows the 2mm is very important!!) but more importantly has approx 1/2 as much more pad surface area again than the Leon Cupra kit, which ultimately is where the work is done.

More importantly anybody who wants to do a bit of DIY can have this kit together for under £500, anybody can contact me for help and the rarer components such as correct hoses (1/2 of us are/were driving around on the wrong fittings on our braided lines) and caliper carriers.

Carriers £120, Calipers from a Scrappy £150 (ebay prices are madness), Hoses £38, Pads £40, Optional 325mm disc kit £125, DIY Caliper strip and paint say £50, Grooved discs (optional) £57.

You can go and buy a Brembo GT kit at £900 from awesome or elsewhere and have an argueably inferior product! You can buy the bits for this kit over time and have the buzz of bolting it all up which for me is what dub moddings all about (not whos got the deepest pockets)

Plus because of the compact caliper and a largish discs, these look stunning under 17s such as the TT comp wheel and santa monicas - show stoppers! Try getting the Brembo GT caliper under a 17" rim !!!!

Sorry to gety off topic. Mike your brakes look awesome, Ray's right about the rears though"

Hope that is usefull for some folk 😎

I'm sure this lad is no longer here but maybe one if you understand better than I do? 

I fancy larger 312 disks with red 4 pots Porsche calipers for in the future. Most Porsche calipers are black but in this post apparently Boxsters S are red. But I'm confused reading this post. 

First, he says 986 Boxster S are the same as 996 but red. Okay! 

Second, he says buyers beware they don't fit. Only 20mm wide and we need 25mm wide for a 312 disk. Ummm? 

Third, further down he mentions what fits or not and Boxster S fits VAG without reversing, ok now I'm confused! 

Does any of you swapped for Boxster S calipers or can confirm yes or no go? I see parts number for Boxster and 996 but not Boxster S, someone knows this? 

I’ve no experience of this, I read the above as....

boxster “S” Rear will fit over 25mm disks

rears need not to be reversed - Rear right fits front right - the nipple will remain at the top to expel air in the system when you bleed them (using front callipers you’d need to swap left to right to have the nipple at the top? Ie reversed).

thats my take on what’s written in your quote, don’t shoot me if I’m wrong....

Edited by Dox
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dox said:

rears need not to be reversed - Rear right fits front right - the nipple will remain at the top to expel air in the system when you bleed them (using front callipers you’d need to swap left to right to have the nipple at the top? Ie reversed).

2F2F61A1-F0E7-45D8-82E0-F0D16287DEE5.png

DF54A4E6-D397-4ECC-BD94-1827D6E91B82.png

3 hours ago, Dox said:

Thanks Dox, the way you say it makes more sense to me. English is my second language, sometimes I don't get nuances... 

So as far as part number goes then, the ones beginning by 986 are not good and the ones needed are 996-352-421/422

Cheers! 

7 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks Dox, the way you say it makes more sense to me. English is my second language, sometimes I don't get nuances... 

So as far as part number goes then, the ones beginning by 986 are not good and the ones needed are 996-352-421/422

Cheers! 

Please do your research before you spend your hard earned cash, vaghag still has his Corrado and occssionally posts on CCGB fb group

Oh absolutely mate, I'll wait to be 100% sure before committing. 

My understanding now is if I want to go with 312 rotors on the Corrado:

-If black calipers are wanted, there's the Boxster 2.5 and 2.7 fronts or 996 Carrera 2 or 4 rears. 

-if red calipers are wanted, there's only the rears from a Boxster S that will work. 

I wish I had someone who's done this confirm my conclusion and also confirm the parts number of the Boxster S which I think are 996-351-421/422 but since they are not mentioned in the original post, I would like to know for certain. 

57 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Oh absolutely mate, I'll wait to be 100% sure before committing. 

My understanding now is if I want to go with 312 rotors on the Corrado:

-If black calipers are wanted, there's the Boxster 2.5 and 2.7 fronts or 996 Carrera 2 or 4 rears. 

-if red calipers are wanted, there's only the rears from a Boxster S that will work. 

I wish I had someone who's done this confirm my conclusion and also confirm the parts number of the Boxster S which I think are 996-351-421/422 but since they are not mentioned in the original post, I would like to know for certain. 

an easier route would be to phone HiSpec & ask them to make you some Billet 4's which can run 312 discs

Thanks, that is a good recommendation / alternative. I did think about HiSpec but after reading mixed reviews I wasn't sure if I wanted to go this way anymore. Do you have them? 

2 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks, that is a good recommendation / alternative. I did think about HiSpec but after reading mixed reviews I wasn't sure if I wanted to go this way anymore. Do you have them? 

yes i have nice yellow Billet 4s on my VR6

i absolutely love them, far superior to OE brakes & awesome performance

i chose HiSpec as they were the only 4 pots i could get which would fit under the 15" speedlines

as far as i know there are several reputable workshops that recommend HiSpecs for corrado's - pretty sure ive seen John Mitchell Racing fitting them to customers cars

you can give them you full wheel spec & they will confirm if you can run 312's or tell you the max disc size for your setup

i found them to be very helpful but i would say to not use their spacers if you need them as the cheap ones they did me were not hubcentric

• Thanks 1

I have hi-specs on mine, done about 180k on them, they fit under my 15” wheels with no problem
98c860a56a76cf93a14cf5eb8ae2b68e.jpg

I’ve found for best performance to take out pads,clean and re-grease (copper slip) pads and pins, I’m only on my 2nd set of pins ! I use ebc red pads, but really down to the driver choice

Thanks to you two for your feedbacks and DG for the picture. That makes me reconsider them! There's so many models on their website, which one did you guys went for? Cheers and thank you for contributing! 

9 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thanks to you two for your feedbacks and DG for the picture. That makes me reconsider them! There's so many models on their website, which one did you guys went for? Cheers and thank you for contributing! 

Billet 4's m8

Billet 4’s, if you ring them, they do a complete kit for the Corrado,
I live about 1/2 hr from their factory, when I bought mine (about 19 years ago) I picked the parts up, and they showed me around,
I have the original part list, but mines a four stud car !