Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Does your Corrado ...

- have vague steering?

- seem to have steering that ranges between really light and quite unstable feeling and very heavy and positive?

- change it's steering weight based on whether you just accelerated or braked?

- always seem to be dragging a bit on the front brakes when you're driving along?

- have brakes that scrape more when you're going round corners?

- feel like you're steering by committee when you're putting a lot of power down - you're just hanging on and hoping rather than actively directing the car?

- weave and bob under heavy braking on uneven surfaces?

- occasionally make scraping noises from the front wheels that go away when you take the next corner?

- have an ABS rotor that scrapes against the sensor .. but not all the time?

- always seems to have better steering feel after the car has been worked on (jacked up)?

Having had everything replaced, and I do mean everything, and still having these problems I finally bit the bullet and had the front wheel bearings replaced.

Well, wish I'd done it four years ago now when these symptoms first started to show up. Garages have recommended everything from ball joints to tyres to steering rack to track rods, and it's all been replaced, and it did sharpen things up a little, or it stopped some clunking in some circumstances, but nothing fixed the VARIABILITY of the feel to the steering until changing the wheel bearings.

It seems they were worn for a long time, but it wasn't really until I started noticing the ABS rotor moving around relative to the strut that I came to the conclusion that there MUST have been play in the bearing. As the only possible explanation I'm relieved to find I was right!

(Note that if you have any vagueness and light steering and wandering but it NEVER goes away chances are you have a different problem, or even a simple alignment problem. The bearings moving in and out will cause handling changes but it will constantly vary depending on the forces applied to the wheel, and the moving of the bearings modifies the steering feel a lot because you're changing the wheel offset, effectively.)

This job is on the list, but this is the kick in the balls i need to make me order the parts..cheers! 8)

I have a few month old VAG bearings fitted to mine and unfortunately hasn't helped with the vagueness. I wish I knew what the 'magic bullet' was for Corrado's and their crap handling!

FWIW all my steering feel/handling issues came down to two problems. One was the bearings, the other was play in the steering column. Everything else I've had replaced over the years was pretty much a waste of cash.

Yeah in Jims case it's the column (has to be) and i'm fairly sure this is caused by high mileage and not helped by the previous owner having ridiculously wide wheels on it.

Nice one tho Matt - should feel fantastic now and at least you've not got to worry about any other drivetrain bits wearing out, hopefully sorted your ABS issues too?

One was the bearings, the other was play in the steering column.

That is on the cards! I've had the Polo steering column on the floor in my bedroom for months now!! :)

Yeah in Jims case it's the column (has to be) and i'm fairly sure this is caused by high mileage and not helped by the previous owner having ridiculously wide wheels on it.

Nice one tho Matt - should feel fantastic now and at least you've not got to worry about any other drivetrain bits wearing out, hopefully sorted your ABS issues too?

Yeah, the ABS rotor is now clearing the sensor and so far staying clear.

It does feel good now, and you're right, maybe I won't have to replace any suspension for a year or two .. ;)

Re: the steering column - I swear there was play in the top UJ (where the adjustable column tilts). You couldn't detect any of course, off the car, but the feel was drastically improved by replacing it. Of course overall it still wasn't consistent because of the second fault.. but I didn't have that "steering wheel not connected to the suspension" feeling any more.. (which is very different from the lightness and vagueness the bearings caused..)

just found this post, my steering feels so crap at the moment, have only started to notice it recently..sometimes it feels really heavy, sometimes light, seems to feel heavier when turning right and lighter turning left..also weaves quite a bit under braking and definately feels all over the shop when under heavy acceleration..so thinking maybe its the wheel bearings? but thinking it could be tyres too as mine are a bit shoddy..although have checked tyre pressure and all ok there...

could it be suspension too tho, have got some old Konigsports that have seized up and are squeeking loads and really need replacing..is there anyways to tell??

Matt - If you hadn't spent so much cash chasing this, it'd almost be funny :lol: On the plus side, you know it's now going to be good for quite a while longer yet...

Steve - have you had the alignment checked (4 wheels on a laser rig) recently?

How shagged are your tyres?

How shagged is your suspension?

Cheers for this post Dr_Matt, had very vague steering for a while now and weaving under braking pi$$ing me off tbh. Ill give the wheel bearings a go first before replacing anything else.

Matt - If you hadn't spent so much cash chasing this, it'd almost be funny :lol: On the plus side, you know it's now going to be good for quite a while longer yet...

Steve - have you had the alignment checked (4 wheels on a laser rig) recently?

How shagged are your tyres?

How shagged is your suspension?

i havent had alignment checked recently, in fact not at all since i owned the car :scratch: went to the place i always go to get my tyres and they said there was probabally about 1000 miles left in them max..so pretty shagged but not illegal..suspension is harder to determine, all units have siezed up so ride height cant be adjusted but that wouldnt effect the handling but i guess gives some idea of age and condition, and it squeeks quite badly, have been told rear strut bushes have worn badly hence the squeeking..but i could hear a squeeking from my old (standard) suspension too, not as bad, but still a definate squeeking..im very confused! :confused4:

Well if the car's never had an alignment, I'd wager that it's probably going to need adjusting. If you touch anything to do with the suspension (change bushes/have the struts undone/off/etc) you need to get the alignment checked afterward.

So I'd start off with getting the shagged bushes replaced as they won't be helping.

Once you've done them, get the car on a proper 4-wheel laser alignment rig. This is not something that Kwik Shit et al have.

If you call up a decent local bodyshop, they'll most likely be able to point you in the right direction. You want to make sure it's a laser rig and it can do all 4 wheels, including front camber adjustment.

It'll be computerised, so they should give you a print out of before and after values and the machine will know what they should be set to for a Corrado.

The alignment should cost up to £70 (depends on where you go) but should sort the car out nicely. It's a good idea to get it checked every year or so, or if you clout anything particularly solid/give the car a jolt as the camber can get knocked out fairly easily.

Well if the car's never had an alignment, I'd wager that it's probably going to need adjusting. If you touch anything to do with the suspension (change bushes/have the struts undone/off/etc) you need to get the alignment checked afterward.

So I'd start off with getting the shagged bushes replaced as they won't be helping.

Once you've done them, get the car on a proper 4-wheel laser alignment rig. This is not something that Kwik **** et al have.

If you call up a decent local bodyshop, they'll most likely be able to point you in the right direction. You want to make sure it's a laser rig and it can do all 4 wheels, including front camber adjustment.

It'll be computerised, so they should give you a print out of before and after values and the machine will know what they should be set to for a Corrado.

The alignment should cost up to £70 (depends on where you go) but should sort the car out nicely. It's a good idea to get it checked every year or so, or if you clout anything particularly solid/give the car a jolt as the camber can get knocked out fairly easily.

thanks mate, excellent advice, i really appreciate it...

only one problem/question though, apparently its the bushes actually in the strut themselves of both the rear two coilovers..i called FK head office in germany, they dont do a replacement part, also tired most other stockists of FK products just to check, no joy..so if it is that then its new suspension time...but the only thing that makes me think it might not be that is the fact that there was the same (just less intense) squeeking noise from my standard suspension :confused4: ...but with regards to alignment, i will definately get that sorted, but im guessing it would be wise to figure out what is wrong with the suspension first, because if i have to change it for any reason, the alignment will need doing again???

Well if it were me, I'd be swapping the suspension out for something a little better/newer, but it depends on what kind of cash you can muster up. For a decent set of coilovers/suspension, you really want to be spending about £600+. Anything cheaper than that is going to die fairly quickly and/or ride like poop.

It's worth getting the alignment checked anyway, as I'd wager the front is probably a fair way out and the rears can't really be adjusted anyway.

my steering feels so crap at the moment, have only started to notice it recently..sometimes it feels really heavy, sometimes light, seems to feel heavier when turning right and lighter turning left..also weaves quite a bit under braking and definately feels all over the shop when under heavy acceleration

Steering rack. Sorry :(

[Yeah, the ABS rotor is now clearing the sensor and so far staying clear.

Your bearings would have been practically collapsed for the ABS sensor to touch the ring. Did you not notice any whir-whir-whir noises round corners?!?

Unfortunately you can't detect front bearing wear (by hand / feel) until you've removed the driveshafts / outer CVs.......

[Yeah, the ABS rotor is now clearing the sensor and so far staying clear.

Your bearings would have been practically collapsed for the ABS sensor to touch the ring. Did you not notice any whir-whir-whir noises round corners?!?

Unfortunately you can't detect front bearing wear (by hand / feel) until you've removed the driveshafts / outer CVs.......

Hmmmmm....

I replaced both rear bearings after a bit of hassle, I then put the new rotor onto the back of the disc. BUT, when i fitted the disc complete with rotor back onto the car, the rotor was rubbing against the abs sensor and had to take it back off and fit it with out for now. Have i knackered something to cause this?

my steering feels so crap at the moment, have only started to notice it recently..sometimes it feels really heavy, sometimes light, seems to feel heavier when turning right and lighter turning left..also weaves quite a bit under braking and definately feels all over the shop when under heavy acceleration

Steering rack. Sorry :(

can you be sure though, it also fits the symptoms described by dr mat with regards to the wheel bearings........

I replaced both rear bearings after a bit of hassle, I then put the new rotor onto the back of the disc. BUT, when i fitted the disc complete with rotor back onto the car, the rotor was rubbing against the abs sensor and had to take it back off and fit it with out for now. Have i knackered something to cause this?

Weird, never seen that happen on the rear. Are you sure you pressed the rotor onto the disc fully and didn't buckle it in the process?

can you be sure though, it also fits the symptoms described by dr mat with regards to the wheel bearings........

Wheel bearings don't make steering heavier in one direction than the other unless so badly worn, they're actually causing resistance to turning.....but you can feel that yourself by jacking the car up and spinning it by hand.

That is a classic rack problem. Mine did precisely that. Replaced rack, problem gone.

I have replaced every single chassis component. I even went as far as dumping the adjustble column in favour of a fixed one, in an attempt to make the steering more positive and I achieved it.

You will almost certainly hear the bearing going before it actually does go completely. Why Mat didn't hear it is a mystery, but it's clear as day in my car and also my girlfriend's Polo, which also has a front wheel bearing out......and her steering isn't heavier in one direction.

Weird, never seen that happen on the rear. Are you sure you pressed the rotor onto the disc fully and didn't buckle it in the process?

Wheel bearings don't make steering heavier in one direction than the other unless so badly worn, they're actually causing resistance to turning.....but you can feel that yourself by jacking the car up and spinning it by hand.

That is a classic rack problem. Mine did precisely that. Replaced rack, problem gone.

I have replaced every single chassis component. I even went as far as dumping the adjustble column in favour of a fixed one, in an attempt to make the steering more positive and I achieved it.

You will almost certainly hear the bearing going before it actually does go completely. Why Mat didn't hear it is a mystery, but it's clear as day in my car and also my girlfriend's Polo, which also has a front wheel bearing out......and her steering isn't heavier in one direction.

i see, thanks for your help. could it also be camber/tracking/alignment though, its only appeared after having replaced the suspension with some coilovers? just for the record, im not doubting you at all, just trying to establish all the possible options..how much did it cost to sort the steering column out if you dont mind me asking?

It could be coilover related if it's not been realigned since? Did you use new top mounts?

If one strut is at a different angle than the other, can affect steering effort (more needed one direction).

Local roads with known bad camber changes can also cause it, maybe drive it on some unfamiliar roads, in particular ones which are as flat and smooth as possible.

It's like eating a roast dinner, everyone eats the cabbage last.... in this case, the cabbage is the rack because it's expensive and time consuming to replace.

To be fair, they last a long time, but at 10 years + old now, they're starting to wear out and get loose.....ditto with the rack-to-column coupling.

I just know from my experience, after replacing everything, the steering was still heavier turning right.....and it was the rack :(

Got a new old stock one off ebay for £100 though, which eased the pain a bit :D

To convert my adjustable column to fixed cost

The biggest expense was a replacement rack coupling @ £125ish.....

The end result is a great steer though, REALLY great.

cabbage :lol: but i do see your point..i think what i will do then is have the alignment checked and go from there..im worried my suspension is going to need replacing soon though so im hesitant to fix anything prior to suspension change as it will undoubtedly need doing again, i will work something out tho..but then if that hasnt cured it will do the steering rack..may need to contact you for some advice??? :shrug:

Yeah start with the cheap and easy things first....then move onto the cabbage :D

The cabbages are £550+VAT from VW (as is a replacement adjustable column incidentally) on an exchange basis......but.....many cheaper VAG cars used the same part, some SEATs and Skodas and things, but I don't exactly which models have interchangeable racks. There's a thread around somewhere on here as someone researched it all.

just got back from holiday having had the car in the garage for a week..apparently the tracking is all good..felt ok to drive for a short while but after 10-20 mins of driving it started to feel like shite again..its pulling way off to the left and this time the steering felt heavy and light in both directions (obviously not at the same time)..it just basically feels VERY twitchy and kinda scary going round corners, even slowly!?? dont really know where to start..

just got back from holiday having had the car in the garage for a week..apparently the tracking is all good..felt ok to drive for a short while but after 10-20 mins of driving it started to feel like **** again..its pulling way off to the left and this time the steering felt heavy and light in both directions (obviously not at the same time)..it just basically feels VERY twitchy and kinda scary going round corners, even slowly!?? dont really know where to start..

if that's the case - the alignment place that you took it to may not have done the camber bolts up tight enough. this happened with mine - i took it back to the place with new camber bolts from vw and they confirmed it had gone out again and re-did their work, fitting the new bolts for next to no extra charge.

just tell the alignment place they have done be done up hoofing tight! - i'm sure if you asked them nicely they would pop it back on the ramps, just to confirm their work is still good - not a very helpful place if they won't confirm their own work after all....

No i made sure i didnt buckle them. Maybe i didnt push it right on, i was being careful not to bend it whilst trying to get it onto the disc, so it is possible i was being TOO careful and it wasnt werent on correctly.