Sign in to follow this  
Danny Ess

How are corrados like to live with?

If its a "newer" car you want i'd go for a later 2.0 16v over a 1.8 16v as the 1.8 is essentially a mk2 inside. The later 2.0 will feel a bit newer, thats what i always go for anyhow, not really a fan of the earlier interior.

A K-reg G60 ('92) will likely have most of the late styling - wider arches, bulge in centre of the bonnet, black interior, three spoke steering wheel, etc. etc. But not the heater dials nor the later indicator stalks.

Agree with Walesy on the G60 having best overall balance (with my limited experience :lol: ). Less refined and more visceral than the VR, but a great balance between economical and outrageously good fun to drive :D

Agree with Walesy on the G60 having best overall balance (with my limited experience :lol: ). Less refined and more visceral than the VR, but a great balance between economical and outrageously good fun to drive :D

Limited experience = 5 mins in my VR? :lol: It's horses for courses really- best thing to do is go and drive as many as you can, and make sure you drive 2-3 of each type if you can. Out the box, the VR is far superior IMHO, and by the time you've modded the G60 to take it to standard VR power, you'll prob be paying more insurance. I loved my G60 (such a punchy, lively drive) but loved all 3 of my VR6s a lot more. Much more refined and yet can still be a complete animal if needed- the sound is to die for. Think the worst thing I found with the G was first and second gear- the ratios are awful!

Yeah the gearbox needs addressing in them for sure, the 5th needs to be longer as well - the CTN (Mk3 diesel) box is apparently a really easy and cheap swap.

It'll always be horses for courses, not everyone will prefer the same thing from their car but going on what snattrass has said, the VR6 isn't for him so i'd strongly suggest he tries a decent G60 before going for another valver.

Yeah the gearbox needs addressing in them for sure, the 5th needs to be longer as well - the CTN (Mk3 diesel) box is apparently a really easy and cheap swap.

It'll always be horses for courses, not everyone will prefer the same thing from their car but going on what snattrass has said, the VR6 isn't for him so i'd strongly suggest he tries a decent G60 before going for another valver.

Yep agree! A mildly tuned G60 combined with a CTN box and VR Clutch (£175+£80) will give you more torque, good traction in the lower gears and the economy you require in 4th and 5th. Mild tuning being around 200 bhp and lbft. :)

We'll see.

I will keep it [the VR] for another year and try to become more accustomed to it's wayward front end. Maybe in this time I can go someway towards mastering it - as I say just not as completely throwable into corners as my 1.8 16Ver thats all.

As suggested I should really have driven more models although it's not as if u can test drive someones forsale car like a track event. Not that it's a bad car by any means. It looks great and I do like the beast of an engine. By the way what's this SNS chip that I read about for extracting a few more horses out of it the engine? Seems these are the quickest and easiest and most cost effective way of boosting my power - anyone know anything about this?

Si

There are a bunch of aftermarket ECU chips for the G60 engine that various tuners have developed. The apparent advantage of the SNS chip is the 'No Lag' algorithm they have developed, which sharpens up the throttle response - standard G60s can suffer from a disappointing delay between you booting it and the car pulling hard. :brickwall:

However, that is best matched up with a smaller diameter pulley for the supercharger itself, which will develop more boost from lower in the rev range, something that the SNS (and most other) chips can exploit fully :norty: :lol:

I guess it is the added boost from the smaller pulley plus the intelligence to make use of it from the chip that gives the full package of sharper response and about 15-25 extra bhp :nuts:

That package fitted would probably cost about £250.

Are these SNS chips any good for just simply bolting onto my VR for a few extra horses? How much do they cost? Can anyone send me a link for them or recommend a chip for my VR?

I don't think you can get one for a VR. You can get superchips or someone to do a remap but I don't think you get much extra out of one. Forced induction cars get much better results form remaps than NA lumps.

Nick

Thanks. There is one on ebay advertised for a VR and e friend of mine has a chipped (or is it remapped i'm not sure) 2.8 Golf which is super fast (mind u he has removed the cat as well)

You know what i think takes away from my enjoyment of the VR? It's the K&N air filter on it. I mean it sounds loud and beastie esp when I let rip but really it's only at 5k+ revs that I am only able to hear the nice refined engine purr as the K&N noise dies down. I think these filters are drowning out the VR music! Do they really make em go faster or what? Or is it just to boom the street to death?

Depends, is it an Induction Kit (Cone thing) or panel filter? The induction kits tend to kill low down torque and give bad throttle rsponse. The panel filter in a drilled and smoothed airbox are much better.

Induction kits are only worth it if you buy something bespoke to your car, all these off the shell K&N type things are pritty rubbish. If you want a proper one you want the BMC Carbon one.

Nick

You still got the original airbox? If not get one off here and try that with a K&N Panel filter in it. Drill out some holes on the side away from the engine in the bottom section of the box and use a file to remove any ridges from the molding process.

Give that a whirl (If you have the cash) and see if that feels better, it certainly should do and the noise should be less meaty but still a decent induction roar.

Nick

We'll see.

I will keep it [the VR] for another year and try to become more accustomed to it's wayward front end. Maybe in this time I can go someway towards mastering it - as I say just not as completely throwable into corners as my 1.8 16Ver thats all.

As suggested I should really have driven more models although it's not as if u can test drive someones forsale car like a track event. Not that it's a bad car by any means. It looks great and I do like the beast of an engine. By the way what's this SNS chip that I read about for extracting a few more horses out of it the engine? Seems these are the quickest and easiest and most cost effective way of boosting my power - anyone know anything about this?

Si

If your VR has a wayward front end there is a good chance that there is something wrong with the suspension setup/ components . Firstly you have 17's fitted and I suspect you've lowered it - this will degrade the handling abilities of the car particularly on poor road surfaces and the car will actually cope with this better with 15's and standard suspension components in good order. Believe me I know as I've had 15's, 16's and I'm currently running 17's with a substantial suspension drop and really that is purely for cosmetic reasons - there's an old adage which for Corrados as far as I'm concerned IMHO holds true and that is 17's for show and 16's for go :)

Yes 215's on 17's on Koni adjustables and PI springs.

Couldn't stand the 4x4 look of the thing as standard so yes point taken looks better handles worse although I have the feeling that if I put the same suspension / wheels on my old valver it wouldnt effect the cornering to the same extent. What an enigma the corrado is: u can have a faster one that doesnt handle as well and u can have one that looks and sits as it should do with the correct cosmetic height but again doesnt handle as well!! Seems doomed from the beginning!

Maybe when I've tackled the disfunctional after market headlights booster I will look at the sorting out the air filter situation. It came with the K&N cone and no original. Can't belive people fit crap when it just comes back to bite u and take more time and hassle in the end anyway.

Im still undecided biggrin.gif

I doubt il be doing loads of miles but the driving il be doing will probably mostly be town driving (30mph etc) and then the occasional motorway run when going shopping/shows etc). The VR6 is out of my price range (to buy and insure) so i was left with the 16vs and the G60s.

Now economy and power dont always come in the same package but il be happy with about 30mpg as thats what i was getting roughly with my last two cars and didnt bother me. But i also want some power there when i need itif someone annoys me and wants a challenge in their 1l nova biggrin.gif

I guess the 16v will be easier to maintain as i wont have to keep servicing the charger although it may take me a few years to rack up 30000 miles (or however long they need servicing, or do you do it every few years anyway?).

and if i get a 16v il always be thinking 'why didnt i get a g60' etc.

aaarrgghh decisions decisions.

Im still undecided biggrin.gif

I doubt il be doing loads of miles but the driving il be doing will probably mostly be town driving (30mph etc) and then the occasional motorway run when going shopping/shows etc). The VR6 is out of my price range (to buy and insure) so i was left with the 16vs and the G60s.

Now economy and power dont always come in the same package but il be happy with about 30mpg as thats what i was getting roughly with my last two cars and didnt bother me. But i also want some power there when i need itif someone annoys me and wants a challenge in their 1l nova biggrin.gif

I guess the 16v will be easier to maintain as i wont have to keep servicing the charger although it may take me a few years to rack up 30000 miles (or however long they need servicing, or do you do it every few years anyway?).

and if i get a 16v il always be thinking 'why didnt i get a g60' etc.

aaarrgghh decisions decisions.

I genuinely wouldn't write off a 1.8, although they aren't quite as easy to tune as the 2.0 but they are quicker as standard anyway so it makes no odds. Great fun and cheap as chips to run. Easier to maintain with plenty of parts knocking about from the MK2 Golf, If and when you do decide you want more power then buy a VR6.

The VR versus G60 debate could go on for years and offend a good few people so it's always a touchy subject. At the end of the day a 'Rado in any form is a great car and driving one will make you feel a part of the elite.

The VR6 is the pinnicle (I believe :norty: ) which is why that model got the storm badge, why evo still have it ranked in their magazine, (and a recent article about the greatest front wheel drive cars of all time) and why it was on Top gears future classics feature.

The G60 is an awesome machine don't get me wrong, but I think whichever model you get you will always want a factory fresh, low milage storm so enjoy a Valver for a year or two and see how you get on.

Or just Pokemon it and "collect 'em all".....that's the only way to find out

(In case you hadn't guessed I used to own a 1.8 16v and now run a VR so my views are extremely biased)

To reiterate my earlier point about the Corrado being expensive, I've just got another rather large bill of €950+ (about £750 in real money), think I've spent a couple of G this year on the up-keep of my beast.

I would say through a tight twisty road a valver would see off a VR no problem.

Not mine it wouldn't. Ignoring my power advantage, I have absolutely no problems matching a Valver or G60's corner entry and exit speeds.

You just need the right mods.

Just done a few quotes on confused to get a general feeling of what insurance is like. for the 2l 16v and the VR. the VR was a few hundred dearer with wheels and suspension declared but that was only with the mainstream people, may come down with brentacre etc.

Just the initital cost of a VR is quite alot more than a 16v or a G60.

also what MPG do people get on VR6'? is it about high 20s? Or say £20 a week which doesnt seem that bad how far does that normally get people?

And how much does it cost for people to fill up a full tank if petrol was 109p?

ta

And how much does it cost for people to fill up a full tank if petrol was 109p?

55l tank on early cars, 70l tank on later cars. I'll let you do the maths ;)

VRs get 30mpg roughly.

Hey Danny, VR6's do more miles than you would think, but only if you drive slowly... which you wouldnt if there is novas and that about, coz you would be showing them up all day long (looks, sound, speed, style, you get the point). I would defo check them out mate if i were you, see what the fuss is all about :) WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Cheesewire, what mods would you be talkin about?