stu

Bentley manual & Internet Explorer v6

glad the info was useful only got my cd going today too! The bloke on ebay who sold it to me was no use at all

re your sensor, try just searching for crankshaft, follow links to lots of pics, illustrated parts lists etc.

Sigh. I too am having complete lack of joy. The cd used to run ok on an old borrowed laptop so not sure what it was running. I gave it back because I bought a new laptop, with intel celeron and running XP. Initially when I called I tried to load the programme it seemed to be doing the right things but then dislayed the "jrew.exe" fail message. Since then I have de-installed and tried all the tips on this thread, but now when I try to load the programme nothing seems to work. I get the initial window asking me to select a language, which I do and hit ok. The disc spools up then stops and absolutely nothing happens.

Anyone got any ideas?

I was getting the jrew message but this was cured by changing the symcjit. DLL file to symcjit.OLD. This should cure the jrew problem but wont help with booting up. The next thing to do is close your firewall and antivirus. Following that, use FUNBOXVR6s advice and click File Open and go from there - his points are a few threads up. If that doesnt work you've got a dodgy disc.

HTH

Hasan

Cheers Hasan, I forgot to mention yesterday that when I try to add http://127.0.0.1 to trusted sites my lappy will only let me enter it in https form; don't know if that's relevant. Tried dumping the firewalls too with no joy. Anyway, I am also beginning to think that the disc has corrupted somewhere along the way which is preventing the boot-up. :( Have to see if I can check it out somewhere else. Thanks

Ok Guys, I have a patch to make it work properly on XP SP2, its about 2mb in size so if you PM me with an email address that will accept it (its a .txt file you need to rename to .exe after download) I will fwd it to you...

I had a similar problem as the above with ie6. discovered if i type manual in the search field it will allow me to acess all as normal diagrams etc??? :D

Hi guys,

I had installed the bentley manual a while ago and it was working fine. It's not working now so i want to reinstall it.

Problem is, I can find the installer file so i can't uninstall it and when i put the cd in none of the files show at all so i can't run the setup file. Can someone end me the setup.exe file please? thanks

On the CD there is an option to load Netscape Navigator when you install the program. Take this option and the CD will work. This program will not run with Internet Explorer 6.

You can have both Internet Explorer 6 and Netscape Navigator 4.6 running side by side. We have and it works!

You may need to set Netscape Navigator to be the default browser first.

After running the program, you can if you wish set Internet Explorer 6 back to the default browser. The program when fired up will start up a Netscape browser window.

Go with it because it works!

My main issue i can run the program ok - but if i am to close the app 'Exit Repair Information', i can't get it to run after that, unless i reboot. I got a feeling it may be a redundant process somewhere that i need to kill off in task manager.

Anyone else come across this?

After a few hours of messing around i have found what seems to work best for me.

If anyone has tried all of the suggestions on here and they are still struggling, this may be the best way forward for you.

I have started using Avant Browser as the main browser for viewing the manual. It works without any tweaking out of the box!. This is a free (as in beer) application, you can download from here:

http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/1459 ... -setup.exe

I also noted that the CD needs to remain in the machine for the the manual to work. As i tend to leave my cd's all over the house, i made an ISO image using Alcohol 120% (not free) but there is a free ISO creator called CDburnerXP Pro which will do the job,

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Now in order to use the cd, without having the cd in your drive, you will need to mount the ISO image as a virtual cd drive (This means in effect you will see an extra cd rom icon within 'My Computer'. To do this you will need an application called 'deamon tools':

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/ ... load&id=34

Install daemon tools (this will need a reboot!)

After installation you will need to mount the image.

1. Right click the daemon tools icon in your taskbar - The taskbar is to the left of the clock.

2. Hover the mouse over 'Virtual DVD/CD Rom'

3. Hover the mouse over 'Device 0'

4. Select 'Mount Image'

5. Browse to the ISO image you created from the bentley CD and select 'Open'.

After this the installer for bentley will start. If you have already installed, click cancel, if not you can install the manual from here.

Ok - Start the Bentley application from the icon on your desktop (persuming you installed it there!).

Open Avant Browser.

Within Avant Browser:

1. Tools

2. Internet Options.

3. Place the following address (url) into the 'home page' field:

http://127.0.0.1:8080/ESIS?action=Home&type=repair

4. Press OK.

5. Press the home icon on avant, or just close it and restart it.

Hey presto - your good to go!

As a note daemon will automatically mount the Bentley Image everytime you start your computer, so its handy for those who have managed to get this to work in IE6 as well.

If anyone can't make to much sense out of the above and the demand suffices, drop me a pm and i will put together a step by step doc with screenshots.

Also i have not looked into it much but i believe that avant may just be a GUI (graphical user interface) that sits on top of the IE active x component (translation, its the same as IE, so if you like it you could use it as your main default browser, who know's - up to you really).

Luke

I did manage to get my hands on a password-locked PDF of the Bentley, but it was limited in what you could do with it... :?

So, I've just ordered a copy of the printed Bentley, will scan it using the work's nice scanner and then get it into full Acrobat software to do optical character recognition on the pages to reduce the PDF filesize, and create a searchable database of words and terms :D A bit like the CD but working, portable, and able to search and print pages at A3 size or larger.

The indexed and optimised PDF will end up being kept on my laptop, plus I will have a hard copy for those rainy days when you need to be under the car... 8)