Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Audi S3 or SEAT Ibiza Cupra ? Discuss.....

Hey all,

A mate is discussing buying a new car at the moment as has been thinking about both of these, so I said I would ask on here for folks opinions. Both seem to be around £5-£6k for a 2000-2001 model, with 60-70k miles and SH. He has seen a couple he likes, one is the S3 210BHP version, but easily remapped to 265BHP and the Ibiza has been modded to 260BHP. He has yet to test-drive either as they are both quite far away.

Anyone have any preferences or stories about test-driving either ? Any advice or opinions welcome,

Cheers

Depends what he wants really.

S3 is certainly the classier more comfortable ride. Cupra the better drive.

I dont really like the 1.8T engine at all so I wont comment on that LOL

Personally I would probably go S3 but Im getting on a bit (34). Prefer the image though. Cupra is getting a bit boy racer. But then if he wants a car to thrash everywhere......

S3!! No contest! Audi build quality means it'll take remaps, etc a heck of a lot better than the Seat will.

S3, definately. If it was a Leon Cupra R, instead of the Ibiza, I'd have to think about it...

I thought it was the Leon Cupra R! If it is the Ibiza then as said he would be mad to even contemplate it over the S3 :nuts:

Six votes so far for the S3, hmmmn.....is this per-chance due to the Seat vs Audi badge debate ? I thought Cupra's were meant to be really good fun and drive well ? This is a pretty modded one and has a lot of toys for the money. Yes, the Audi will most likely have better build quality but the Seat will be quicker and more fun, yes, the 4wd allows you to put power down better grip etc, but it robs a lot from the driving experience I have heard as well as S3's being described as even a bit boring and bland ?

S3's are a bit boring and bland to drive:D But they do feel 'special' to be in.

As I said if he wants a racer then he doesnt want the S3.

I personally wouldn't choose an Audi over a Seat just for the badge, my decision was merely based on the fact it was an Ibiza Vs S3. Were it the Leon Cupra R Vs the S3, my decision would be much much harder. I guess I'd probably have to drive them both in a spirited manner to make a decision between those two! :)

is this per-chance due to the Seat vs Audi badge debate ?

I'd say it's down to Audi building better bloody cars mate. It aint a badge debate if you can now buy both cars of similar ages for similar money and one of them was worth a lot more when new and will be built a lot better.

Seat Ibiza's are supposed to be good but I just hear bad things about build quality when you start messing with them - like they don't handle it that well.

If I was in the market for an S3 I wouldn't even be considering a Cupra tbh!

Well Ive had both a sorted Cupra R and S3 and the S3 was far better overall. The Seat was ok but a bit cheap inside and a feckign nightmare to drive in the wet or greasy roads. Fast but the S3 is a better overall package HOWEVER you must sort the suspension and get it remapped otherwise they do feel a bit bland.

Certainly not badge snobbery from me either, I have a Mk2 Leon Tdi Ref Sport mapped upto 197 bhp/330 lb ft. I love it, apart from the issue of grip. However being given the option of an Audi S3 means one thing, massive gains to be had and a 4wd set up that handles it. A nice suspension setup will always help and am sure the issue of steering feel could be handled with another rack from the VAG range.

Id only choose the S3 over the Ibiza purely because it has 4wd.

If the Ibiza wasnt FWD, id be all over it!

I'd go for the S3 but tbh I don't think the two cars you're talking about are comparable in the slightest...

I think the Ibiza generaly atracts a younger driver who is more prone to ram raiding halfords and posting on forums using txt tlk... compare the S3 to it's equivilent and you're looking at the Leon Cupra R!

IMO the LCR is a good all rounder and more exciting than the S3. OK I'm slightly biased and yes they aren't all that good if it's slightly damp but on a dry day there's more than enough fun to be had and you can upset most of the more expensive brands off the lights :D

Apart from the interior quality and spring / damper rates, I can detect no difference in structural build quality between a Cupra R and S3. At least SEAT saw fit to give their car proper brakes, whereas the Audi gets thicker carpets, softer plastics and more sound deadening. They both have the same engine and SEAT's mapping tends to be a little more aggressive than VAG's. All considered, I think that hints at which is the driver's car of the two.

I have no real preference to either tbh, but Audis have always struck me as nothing more than a badge engineering excercise, and the British public lap it up. Dynamically they really aren't all that at all and have truly awful steering feel and feedback. I've steered more chatty tractors.