Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Just had 1st drive since fitting BMC

got car back from garage, brakes are all on now :D

not had a chance to drive it with the bmc until today and its fecking loud!!!! like really loud and aggresive :lol:

not sure i like it, actually found myself driving more sensible so it wasn't too loud. Has anyone else thought this?

its VR6 btw

Loud? The BMC is one of the quietest ones out there!

It does get quieter if you connect the other end of the filter to a hose and poke it down the carbon can hole.

Did you have the standard air box on before by any chance? :D

i found it was just right, but the induction noise changed according to how open the throttle was, not the revs. its not touching any of the body work is it? mine was when i initially put it on, but got much quieter when i actually fixed it properly to the engine block.

how are the 288s working out?

I've not got a BMC but i've got an induction kit I sometimes use if I feel like having a few weeks of noise.

As for driving more sensibly..... no..... i tend to drive more aggressively to make it make as much noise as poss! :lol:

Mine is spot on! Loud under full bore quiet when cruising, cant ask for any more than that.

I think you may gain a couple of horses and lose a couple of torques. But it certainly does sound faster! :D LOL

i've found it not so bad if you gentle with the revs, but if you hard on the gas it really does roar. I might try the pipe idea then.

288's look ace, the handbrake is amazing, i've had so much annoyance with all the brakes since i got the car. A bit spongy still you have to push pedal at least halfway down before anything happens. might rebleed them after a few hundred miles. am being really gentle with them as i've warped new discs before :lol:

got the bmc fitted to the tensioner bolts, made up a bracket with the dremel and something off a fence post :lol:

Any chance of a pic of the fixings for the BMC as Ive just bought one of the forum and not 100% sure how to install it.

The big O shape clamp is fairly obvious, but what we normally do is bolt that to a little piece of metal that's attached to one of the serpentine tensioner bolts.

Hopefully you can see what I mean from this shot....

Oct08_engine1.jpg

thought mine was too loud when it first went on, especially as it made bits of the car actually resonate at certain revs :D

you soon get used to the change and then you'll just smile a lot when you do really rev it! 8)

All down to personal taste, I love the sound it makes, If you've got a stainless exhaust it can cause a little more resonance. Try running a short piece of pipe up to the back of the headlight, that mutes it slightly without taking the overall great sound away.

Get over to Hatfield and plant it in the Tunnel under the Gallereia, come off turn round do again... Keep repeating until:

a/ get bored

b/ get pulled

c/ run out of gas

My "baby" valver only has Drilled box and Magnex Exhaust, but does make really nice sounds when planted in tunnels! (Must go to Limehouse Tonight for no reason! :lol: )

Get over to Hatfield and plant it in the Tunnel under the Gallereia, come off turn round do again... Keep repeating until:

a/ get bored

b/ get pulled

c/ run out of gas

My "baby" valver only has Drilled box and Magnex Exhaust, but does make really nice sounds when planted in tunnels! (Must go to Limehouse Tonight for no reason! :lol: )

Forgot one thing Jon - open both windows :D