Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Pics of rear lights, Tinted red or black

i what to get rid of the orange on rear of car as it looks dated, and somedays i fancy a change. but i don't know what i fancy, all red rears or red and smoked, i tried to photoshop the choices but that came out bad

i bought some spare rear lights and tried to tint them with the spray on stuff but its not right, you can still see the orange lense a bit underneath, so next time i think ill buy the lights with a clear upper and change that.

anyone got pics of their lights and can say how they were tinted would be handy

pic of my car at the mo.

DSC00499.jpg

mmmmm......the problem i can see with aftermarket lights is they don't fit as well, especially the FK ones.

got photoshop working better, remembered my tools.

standard

DSC01222-1.jpg

Red

AllRed.jpg

Smoked

SmokedTop.jpg

think smoked looks better if i tint the reverse light too

Heres mine, only a slight red tint. I think the thin strips on the rears help matters. Dont like the ones that flash fully red.

Agree with the aftermarket not fitting right. However Im starting to like the OE look again.

Laminex is the easiest way to go! Just recieved my smoked ones from BigTartanJudge and will be fittting to my spare set of rears this weekend, hopefully!

Here's my white rado with DIY half-tinted rear lights, I think they look ace ;-)

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01056-1.jpg

and here with FK smoked rears

DSC00649.jpg

Going to try and turn these bottom ones into proper crystal top-tints with black tinting spray.

I bought the Foliatec / Savage tinting spray from a local car accessory shop but you can also find it on eBay. The key is good preparation if you are doing it DIY. There are a couple of very good DIY tinting guides available, including one on here - wiki guide. I also bought these recently below, which were FK crystals done with red tint spray. I have another three sets of lights that I might have a go at doing either black top or re-tinted.

Cheers

they really suit your white one, especially with the smoked windows too :)

that last pic you posted is what i mean about the poor fitting aftermarket ones (B19 VWC) they look all over the place to me and give you the look of vauxhall build quality :lol:

that last pic you posted is what i mean about the poor fitting aftermarket ones (B19 VWC) they look all over the place to me and give you the look of vauxhall build quality :lol:

Think you'll find the boot's open! ;)

Thhe crystal smoked ones are in the pic fitted to my old white G60 on the previous page. Please don't get either of the bottom two ones you put pics up of, they are gash :nono:

they are a bit like sticking lexarse lights on :lol:

i was thinking to do the same as you have just bought, i.e: buy some clear crystal ones and paint them. Otherwise ill end up with that orange tinge still

Fair Doos! I thought the boot was open??! :shock:

yes its been said the boot was open :lol: i totally didn't think of that (in american accent)

cheers fla, the finish came out well but i think it looks a bit ginger

I do think that is a pretty good job mate, but I do think you need another thin coat and wish you'd taken off the raised lettering too ! :wink: I used two coats on mine then polished with a polishing compound to get the shine. Some people clear-coat them some people dont, but if you do use an enamel-based clearcoat as lacquer-based ones will strip off the dark-lacquer you have just applied.

This is how they should look after 2/3 coats of dark-tintspray and enamel clearcoating, then polishing.

I vote for all red on your car, just done mine, looks so much better...

Imported Photos 00044.JPG[/attachment:2ptow1vp]

Down to personal preferance I guess!

For me, after seeing SpicyG60's Lamin-x smoked rears, they give a pretty close to "Golf16v" look on a Pearl Grey Rado.

But some other colours look better with Reds, Dragon Green , Black, and Aqua blue for example.

On a related topic, any-one running uprated bulbs in their smoked ones? If so what wattage?