Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Pics of rear lights, Tinted red or black

I do think that is a pretty good job mate, but I do think you need another thin coat and wish you'd taken off the raised lettering too ! :wink: I used two coats on mine then polished with a polishing compound to get the shine. Some people clear-coat them some people dont, but if you do use an enamel-based clearcoat as lacquer-based ones will strip off the dark-lacquer you have just applied.

This is how they should look after 2/3 coats of dark-tintspray and enamel clearcoating, then polishing.

i did about 4 coats of folia tec stuff, maybe i'm coating it too light?

yeah i should of got rid of the lettering first :lol: i won that light on ebay for £6 so just a test run really.

if i wet sand the lettering on the part that is already red, how do i get the shine back, just spray the whole cluster with the red spray?

I vote for all red on your car, just done mine, looks so much better...

Imported Photos 00044.JPG[/attachment:31folug3]

i think thats what ill do :D

are yours standard lights sprayed or with film? or are they aftermarket ones?

if i wet sand the lettering on the part that is already red, how do i get the shine back, just spray the whole cluster with the red spray?

Just remember that if you do smooth off the markings that for a MOT the lights have to be E-marked so you'll need spare MOT lights! :norty:

Just remember that if you do smooth off the markings that for a MOT the lights have to be E-marked so you'll need spare MOT lights! :norty:

They can fook off! LOL

I used two coats on mine then polished with a polishing compound to get the shine. Some people clear-coat them some people dont, but if you do use an enamel-based clearcoat as lacquer-based ones will strip off the dark-lacquer you have just applied.

This is how they should look after 2/3 coats of dark-tintspray and enamel clearcoating, then polishing.

where did you get an enamel based clearcoat? i've searched on ebay but cannot find anything, do you have any links?

carpoid - I think that you went the best route with those lights... now looks sweet :smug:

I think that all red looks best. Looks a little more factory IMO. 3corsameal - go red red red :D

Yeah i think all red suits darker coloured cars for sure.

Mine were done with tinting spray (about 5 coats), then enamel based clear coat (about 4 coats).

My clear coat came the local hardware store Zak, its made by Dulux and called 'Plastikote'.

I pin striped my indicator lens' so they still flash orange with standard bulbs.

I pin-striped mine with Savage tint spray rather than Folia Tec after smoothing off the lettering and have had no probs with 3 MOT's. You can apply a thin coat after this and the light will still flash orange. From what I've seen of other people's experience the consensus seems to be that Savage is the preferred choice.

red on red looks awesome!

g60greeny - is your car tornado red? It looks like it, but I'm not sure what flash red looks like tbh :wink: My car is tornado red, and I think I may do that (when I can be bothered to get off my ass :D).

Ask Kirade what lacquer he uses to do the lights following application of the tint-spray. A bodyshop should have or be able to get hold of the correct lacquer or advise where to get it from. I have used both Foliatec and Savage tint-sprays and have noticed no difference tbh. I cut off the raised plastic lettering with a scalpel before sanding so they were cmpletely smooth. I put my previous white G60 through 2 MOT's with the tinted lights fitted and had no problems.

Afaik, Hella never made top-tint standard Corrado rear lights so they must have been an OEM set DIY-tinted by someone at some point.

Ok, no idea myselfe, will try to look into it...:)