Sign in to follow this  
MK1Campaign

Vortech charged VR or R32 engine conversion??

Your obvisouly not a tinkerer. Not matter what car or bike Ive had I have to change something, its just part of my nature. I dont think anyone on here is doing the 24v coversions as its apparently the latest coolest mod, thats one thing I like about this forum, it seems devoid of "silly" show cars. I for one saw it as keeping the character of the car i.e. not 1.8T yet enhancing the drivability of the car. You have to remember when the VR came out it was brilliant with good enginnering of the time but that was around 14yrs ago, you cant deny progress. The 12v is not a bad engine, as everyone has said, and does seem to adapt very well to FI but if it was ok why would VW spend all that money developing a 24v head for the newer models?

I think VW just wanted to move the game on with better breathing and more capacity for the upcoming models, so they (or rather Cosworth) had to redesign it.

Seems to have hit a chord this thread :lol:

Not sure I actually want to post in here.... but.... surely this is a tale as old as the automobile itself?

From guys building hot rods, type4 motors in a Bus/Beetle, V8 engined Fiat 500's.... anything like this is done for the sake of doing it and that alone.

If you genuinely wanted to keep a car standard, that's what you'd do. Surely swapping out a 12V for a 24V is no more or less in keeping with the car's origins than stripping down a 12V and fitting 263 cams and schrick manifold etc. Just because you've retained the 12V doesn't make difference in my eyes, it's still not how VW intended it (if that's what you're worried about).

Back to the original question though, I think the two options of a charged VR or an R32 conversion comes down to what you want the car to be like at the end of the day, and I suspect that they'll be worlds apart in terms of driving experience. If I was you I'd get a drive in one of each and then make a decision.

Every VRT or Supercharged guy is going to say do that, and a every R32 guy is going to say do that, But with both options the reliablity of each will be down to the quality of the work done.

Purely my 2p's worth, flame away folks!

I'm doing most of the conversion work myself (except wiring) but getting some help/premesis which is costing £1000 so they work out about the same once you've paid for all the new components and machining etc for the 12V.

That is cool and I respect what you are doing, but for most people myself included an R32 conversion would be around £4.5k For that money (or less) I have already decided if my engine ever gets beyond repair I will be going for one of these high performance blocks http://www.eurospecsport.com/products/e ... vr6-2v.htm

£4.5k for an r32 conversion :shock: i must be doing very very well then, at the moment i'm in pocket by £900 after selling my old engine and the bits i bought for the rotrex/turbo conversion i was going to do.

and that includes the 12k r32 engine/dubpower 6 branch/kevs old DTA/paying The Phirm for the splicing/and everything else i have bought.

but i'm very very jammy though :D

I thought £4.5k was about the going rate for a R32 conversion? Perhaps prices have come down recently. I bet Stealth and the like would charge you around that though.

At the end of the day its all personal preferance. I like to buy a car for the engine it has, because as cheesy as it sounds that is its soul and what makes a great car.

Lets Talk '' Vortech charged VR or R32 or VRT '' im VRT everytime :lol:

If you want smooth and power, well mapped VRT :D

As some of you know i've spent lot of time and money getting mine how i want it, but would'nt change a thing on it now

Till you have tryed a Turbo VR thats been well set up, theres nothing like it.

End of the day its what floats your boat, smooth power or very fast smooth power :lol:

As some of you know i've spent lot of time and money getting mine how i want it, but would'nt change a thing on it now

So now this technology has been proven in a few members cars. How much would a well set up turbo conversion cost. Say with a std unstrengthened 12V block?

So now this technology has been proven in a few members cars. How much would a well set up turbo conversion cost. Say with a std unstrengthened 12V block?

How far do you want to go ,how much power you want , how much work you can do your self. Its hard to put a price on it.

I've spent near on £5k ,JKM done mine .But thats with lot of fab work been done, emerald management, 3'' full exhaust system, uprated

clutch, engine mounts , etc,etc.

Its well worth every penny when you put your foot to the floor with 400bhp :lol:

How far do you want to go ,how much power you want , how much work you can do your self. Its hard to put a price on it.

I've spent near on £5k ,JKM done mine .But thats with lot of fab work been done, emerald management, 3'' full exhaust system, uprated

Its well worth every penny when you put your foot to the floor with 400bhp :lol:

Doesnt sound too bad, is that with a std engine as a base?

If I did ever go for something like that (cant see myself tbh) I would probably only go 300bhp.

Looking good anyway :)

Which ever way you look at it, that's not a lot of money for the performance you've got. You'd pay 15K for a new Golf Gti or more for a Rocco, I'd have your car over one of them anyday!

Shhh, you're giving me bad, expensive thoughts. :ignore: