Sign in to follow this  
vagingit.co.uk

rare options.....lack of

I previously owned a 1990 corrado 16v, but that was written off, but am now looking at an 89 corrado 16v for the other half.

the question is, how many were made without electric windows, and without a sunroof? This corrado has neither.

This leads me onto another question, how much weight difference would there be through not having a sunrooof? I would assume that the roof is only single skinded,wheras a sunroof model would be double skinned? The reason I ask is that the car absolutely flies, quicker than my 1.8 16v corrado, and that was in extremely good mechanical condition!

In answer to your question... The Sunroof weighs a frigging ton (takes two people to remove/re-fit!) and the electric window gubbins is going to be fairly heavy too. But having said that if the car has been looked after and tuned correctly valvers do go very well! I know for a fact my old Golf 16v was way quicker off the line than my G60.

I'd rather have a sunroof which is relilable and the leccy windows. For me, having the sunroof tilted on motorway journeys is essential to actually keep the car at a bearable temperature in the summer with no AC - especially in the VR where there's a fair amount of heatsoak from the engine and cat' up through the 'transmission tunnel'.

Early 16v Corrados did not have sunroofs nor electric windows unless ordered as extras, I drove a white H reg one at a VW dealer like that in 1991, then bought a better one for less from another dealer with the windows and sunroof, which has just failed after 18 years... job for the winter I fear, I always wanted a/c and no sunroof!

Tis true early 16v cars were very much poverty/rally spec although you had to specify the no sunroof as an option.

The other thing to consider is that the 16v block suffers from not being tuned correctly and that engines from the factory could be anything from 130bhp up to 150bhp due to production variations.

I used to have a Red early valver with no leccy windows and no sunroof. Rare beast.

I have now an early 16vLHD with sunroof AND air con.

Some strange combos about

Dic

PS where are you getting car from. Might be my old one.

Algarvevr6, Im getting the car from Margate,Kent, from a mate.

the engine has just been rebuilt, but I was so surprised as to how quick it is, as I said, so much faster than my old 16v corrado with 70k on the clock.

what was the reg of your old one? it is also red though!

i've never tried to open my sunroof :lol:

was told it all worked fine but i don't want to break it, i saw some nasty scratches on here from sunroof problems

i have an 89 corrado also no sun roof or leccy windows i dotn mind never had them in my mini so no bother for me. but my mechanic said they are better with out the sun roof as they are constant problems as ive read alot on here

i've never tried to open my sunroof :lol:

was told it all worked fine but i don't want to break it, i saw some nasty scratches on here from sunroof problems

I've not tried mine either. I learned not to be too optimistic with the electrics shortly after I bought my latest G60 when I tried the manual spoiler button doohicky. The spoiler went up fine but the switch fell apart and it was a fecker to get back together so I could lower the spoiler again! :lol: There were two metal contacts that kept popping out of place when I was clipping it back together. In short I'd happily have a Rado with no sunroof.

Algarvevr6, Im getting the car from Margate,Kent, from a mate.

the engine has just been rebuilt, but I was so surprised as to how quick it is, as I said, so much faster than my old 16v corrado with 70k on the clock.

what was the reg of your old one? it is also red though!

Reg was G something or other. Bright red, but had been resprayed at some point. Lovely motor, but at the time having 2 drivers and 4 corrados was not an option, so had to sell it. The only downside of the car was the engine which although good, was tired. Mileage was about 120 or so, so unlikely to be the same one

was in Herefordshire last time I knew of it.

Hope you enjoy it. Corrados are like Landrovers. Once bitten always smitten. (And of course they are both reliably unreliable) :D :D

Dic