Sign in to follow this  
marshole82

Upgraded Bulbs - Which ones...

Ah i either read too quickly or neglected to read. Or maybe it was a lurking manager nearby ;)

MysticRado - you're using the Phillips Rally bulbs? Kev what and where did you buy?

Sod it, decision time Leon.

I'm going for the Philips H4 90/100 Rally Bulbs too.

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=40

Wiring loom is upgraded and I run a 20a fuse, so dont see an issue there. The lifetime of the bulbs is irrelevant, as long as they see me through the dark nights.

Will go into Aberdeen tomorrow & see if I can get them off the shelf, if not, go for the previous link & get from there.

Kev

Just ordered the 90W100WH4s and 100W H3s. £49 delivered for all 4, not bad!

Kev, when you've got them in can you post up a comparison pic before and after?

Yep, will do sir. I'll do a comparison of Philips Extreme +80% on one side, and 90W/100W on t'other :D

And also a test at night showing the beam spread and colour - if my camera's up to it!

Cheers Kev, BTW You'll need to have a clipboard, glasses and wear a lab coat whilst you do it otherwise the results are not valid. :grin:

[

It may be with the right HID kit you can get acceptable results

I hope so because I really wanted to fit HID's but if your saying they don't shed the light well then I definately don't want to fit them as I don't wan't to be one of those inconsiderate ******* that blind people coming the other way. Phat and Coxylaad have both fitted Xenons and post up pics of the cut off, both of which seem fine though :shrug:

I think it's a bit random, depends on the kit you have and how well it works with your headlights. I just reached a point where I couldn't be arsed with messing around with them any more. It may be that taking the end cap off the HID bixenon bulbs I had and relying on the shield in the headlight to minimise the glare might work better and I might even try it some time, but to be honest, the lights are fine now as is, so I'm not sure I can be fussed. I'm more likely to spend the time fitting projectors into some spare headlights. Then again, I'd rather go mountain biking :-)

Might be worth asking Coxylaad or Phat exactly which kit they used, at least then you have a good starting point.

As promised, a pic showing the difference between 1 year old Philips Extreme +80% and Philips Rally 100W/90W.

Sweet FA is the difference, LOL! :lol:

Philips Extreme 60W/55W on the right, Rally 100W/90W on the left

RallyvExtreme.jpg

On full beam, the Rally H4 and H3 are very slightly brighter.

Can't really recommend the Rally bulbs (over the Extremes)tbh because all you're doing is drawing twice the current for no gain.

Just ordered my X-Treme Power H4s from awesome, £45 delivered for 2 sets. hopefully i'll be able to see something now!

Now got to get the loom upgraded to get the most out of them

Phillips extreme 80% are about 20 quid a pair from ECP, I paid about 18 quid plus vat trade, about half the price of halfords.

Another vote for the Phillips Extreme ones. I've been running them since they were available (either 1 year or 2 years now, damn I'm getting old), and to be honest I haven't noticed them getting dimmer (unlike me :lol:). Good bulb :D

Just fitted my Phillips Extreme bulbs, it's difficult to see the difference from a camera picture, but I'm pretty pleased with them.

They are running on a relay/loom setup so will be getting more power than just using the standard loom, but with a direct comparison to a couple of very old 55/60 and 80/100W bulbs I'd say they are on a par or slightly brighter than the 80W dip and give a whiter light. They are much better than the 55W dip needless to say.

They also seem to run considerably cooler than the 80W dip which is good news for the reflectors.

Abcd0009_800.jpg[/attachment:3bnhd3e9]

As promised, a pic showing the difference between 1 year old Philips Extreme +80% and Philips Rally 100W/90W.

Sweet FA is the difference, LOL! :lol:

Philips Extreme 60W/55W on the right, Rally 100W/90W on the left

RallyvExtreme.jpg

On full beam, the Rally H4 and H3 are very slightly brighter.

Can't really recommend the Rally bulbs (over the Extremes)tbh because all you're doing is drawing twice the current for no gain.

wow that picture shows much more glare than my HIDs in my light setup.

what color temperatures are those?

They are halogen bulbs in that pic mate, as described above it.

What make HID's have you got that give less glare? as I'm currently looking out for the best bulbs to use.... and can you give an 'on the road' photo?

They are halogen bulbs in that pic mate, as described above it.

What make HID's have you got that give less glare? as I'm currently looking out for the best bulbs to use.... and can you give an 'on the road' photo?

It seems the color of the light is giving off alot of glare. The purple violet halo around the headlights.

I have MC with a color temp of 4300K.

I do not have a on road photo.

HID for the low beams

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

HID for both low beams and fog light.

ry%3D480

closer picture and the

ry%3D480

going with a higher color temperature like 6000K as pictures in the high beams you start to notice the glare.

ry%3D480

Hi guys. Interesting thread and have been looking at uprating the bulbs I am using - currently running some crap 'Xenon upgrade bulbs' off eBay. Tried to cut some corners and use cheapies but paid the price! They look OK when you test them against a garage door (as many of the test pictures have) but in use they're about as poor as the originals.

Think I'm going to go for the Phillips 80% + ones but I am interested in uprating the headlight loom too. Only problem is I have no idea what this involves! I am what you'd call a car-novice....is it something that I could tackle or is it an auto-electrician job? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Junkie. Stuck a post up for KUR2Y so hopefully using a headtorch to find my way home will soon be a thing of the past! How can VW have made such a cool coup and stuck that rubbish in for lights?! They were obviously thinking ahead - what would people like us do on their Sundays without glitches like that!

All 80-90's VW's were the same its just how the power routes round through everything before going to the actual headlight mate.

Cheers Junkie. Stuck a post up for KUR2Y so hopefully using a headtorch to find my way home will soon be a thing of the past! How can VW have made such a cool coup and stuck that rubbish in for lights?! They were obviously thinking ahead - what would people like us do on their Sundays without glitches like that!

The NA headlights suck more than yours.

the sidelights are not really sidelights, but parking lights, the Corrado had dim dip lights via a resisitor for the dip beam filament of the main heaadlight bulb (H4) if you fit a relay you lose this.

sorry call me daft but not following that dave. I've separate bulbs for those lights. What am I missing?

To boost the poor side light output VW put in a 'dim-dip' resistor which allows the dipped headlamp beam (H4) to be dimly lit to assist.

With the ignition off the H4 goes off leaving just the side lights for parking (which is what side lights are for really anyhow, parking at the SIDE of the road)

If an Uprated headlamp loom is fitted the 'dim-dip' resistor has to be disconnected hence crap side lights, although you could fit LED bulbs.

I believe pianowire has 5w Luxeon Star LEDs fitted but I'm not sure how you'd actually do that, I'd like to know!!!