Sign in to follow this  
marshole82

Upgraded Bulbs - Which ones...

I believe pianowire has 5w Luxeon Star LEDs fitted but I'm not sure how you'd actually do that, I'd like to know!!!

It was a 1W jobbie from http://www.ultraleds.co.uk but it was pants :lol:

For some reason the electrical connection wasn't great and they constantly needed jiggling about, and then one of them blew shortly after. Rubbish!

And also, the light was very localised and didn't fill the whole headlight like the standard filament sidelight bulbs do.

I like the look of the ones in your Aceparts link though, might try some!

I'm not a fan of the uprated headlight loom - the connections worked loose once which led to a scary 5 seconds - and water has also led to another scary 5 seconds. Think the bulbs alone will be enough

Anyone tried the Osram Night Breakers? They're 90%/10% and also highly rated. I can't find where to get the Phillips in H3 and H4. The Osrams come in H3 and H4 though. Any suppliers for the Phillips?

Homebase do the Philips, Nocrap has tried the Nightbreakers and they are pretty good, I'm using Halfords Super Brilliance which are also pretty impressive.

+90% H3s here as well as the Phillips +80% H4s and interior LED festoon bulbs etc 8) 8)

:wink:

If you get a decent loom it's well worth it. Had mine nearly 10 years and had one blown fuse. If you regularly (every autumn) spray the connections with wd40 or similar you shouldn't get any probs.

I didn't last year but a full disconnect, clean and tweak of plugs sorted it, should be good for another 10 years. Why spend £40-odd on bulbs and then run them at 9.5volts :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

yeah, the voltage drop is horrendous, I've tried several Corrados and they've all come out at about 11.5 volts at the connection to the headlight, and I think that was with the engine running! Battery is IRO 13.5V, run a relayed feed with a new dedicated earth straight back to the battery and you lose virtually nothing.

I'm running Phillips +80% H4s and Osram +90% H3s and I took some pictures of them with stock and upgraded loom. You get a lot of glare photographing the lights head-on with a camera but you should be able to see the difference in output. 18 yr old OEM wiring on the left, 10 year old Loom Upgrade on the right...

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfsnow and lights 015 (Large).jpg[/attachment:1ryv24f2]

Corrado92.pdfsnow and lights 016 (Large).jpg[/attachment:1ryv24f2]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfsnow and lights 017 (Large).jpg[/attachment:1ryv24f2]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfsnow and lights 018 (Large).jpg[/attachment:1ryv24f2]

snow and lights 022 (Large).jpg[/attachment:1ryv24f2]

Ordered the night breakers - will put up feedback on those - read that the night breakers gave off a slightly whiter light - suppose i'll find out this week

have a look on auto express web site they used to test bulbs and other stuff,ive got the loom upgrade that made a big differance

have a look on auto express web site they used to test bulbs and other stuff,ive got the loom upgrade that made a big differance

Yeah ive got an upgraded loom i just wanted to get some new bulbs

I'm running a updated loom with PIAA Extreme White bulbs, these bulbs are a bit on the expensive side. I paid £60 for a set of H4 and £50 for the inner, bit worth it. Until I fit the HID kit I've had for quite a while. :lol:

I'm running a updated loom with PIAA Extreme White bulbs, these bulbs are a bit on the expensive side. I paid £60 for a set of H4 and £50 for the inner, bit worth it. Until I fit the HID kit I've had for quite a while. :lol:

Hi M8, you should have just went hid first and save yourself $$$, there is no other lighting technology that gives you the most lumens than hids. :clap:

You may like to try the Optic Blue Lamin-X film too, whitens your lights beautifully http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/

It does indeed. More of the, lets say 'Boy racer types' are slightly disappointed when they realise that the light output isn't actually blue :lol:

When used in the correct context, especially with good quality bulbs (Which we also supply btw) the results are great.

cliocupcar.jpg

Neil.