Sign in to follow this  
iceviolet

Saved by the RAC Today

This morning I was enjoying a pleasant drive from Newcastle to Huddersfield, cruising down the A1, when about halfway there I suddenly noticed out of the rear view there was something a miss!! lots and lots of what I thought was smoke, and i mean lots, pulled over immediately and then realised it wasn't smoke but lots of steam, as it was now pluming out from under the bonnet, I opened the bonnet and outcame a big cloud of steam! :censored:

My first thoughts were that the headgasket had blown, which i had changed less than a month ago. The expansion tank was empty and with no water to put in i had to phone the RAC. :help: Whilst waiting i was just dredding the thought of having to change the gasket again today in the cold.

Waited about 1/2 an hour and he arrived and at first thought the same about the head gasket, He then decided to fill with water and just check some things. It was my lucky day!!! The coolant hose that comes from the matrix to the throttle body and cylinder head, had a massive gash on the underside and was just spewing the coolant all over the engine and exhaust! Managed to just cut the hose further up from the gash and pull it on to the cylider head. Topped up the water, let it warm up again and i was good to go!

Really is worth having breakdown cover, had them out twice now, only had the car 10 months! Suppose it is part and parcel of been a Corrado owner!

I took a photo of the car whilst waiting.

Nice, its good to see the breakdown services making an effort to repair what in their eyes would be an 'older' car rather than just recover it.

Make sure that you've still got a decent concentration of antifreeze in your cooling system now though, or preferably flush and refill it with G12+....you don't want any cracks in the block when the cold weather comes!

Nice, its good to see the breakdown services making an effort to repair what in their eyes would be an 'older' car rather than just recover it.

You will find that more with older cars actually. The recovery services can get to parts and repair bits rather than just call in the flat beds like they do for more modern cars.

Sounds like the electric water pump isn't working - may have been what cooked it first time round also!

I think its working fine, can hear it working when just the ignition is on. It didnt cook last time i changed the head, I changed the complete head to try and sort out a tapping noise i head. But it didnt cure it!

Really is worth having breakdown cover, had them out twice now, only had the car 10 months! Suppose it is part and parcel of been a Corrado owner!

Couldn't agree more, I've had the RAC out to mine three times in the last three and a half years. They've been excellent every time.

Here's mine on the M62... :(

i know the feeling mate! luckily mine was just the header tank cap not on correctly after a service {thanks awesome gti}

Check your engine and gearbox mounts when they're knackered they put extra strain on the pipe.

While we are on motorway pictures.......

here is mine on the M6

DSC01236.jpg

I have to say your Rado looks cracking in that pic 8)

The coolant hose that comes from the matrix to the throttle body and cylinder head, had a massive gash on the underside and was just spewing the coolant all over the engine and exhaust!

They all do that.. :roll: Check your engine mounts.

I don't want to see this. I'm driving my G60 from Bury St Edmunds all the way down to G-Werks via Toad's house in two weeks! :lol: Hopefully I won't be contributing any pics to this thread....

whilst we're doing motorway pics . . . heres my passat on the M20:

proper brown trousers time!

26042008012-1.jpg

driver of astra had had a skin full, police threw the book at him!

Oh dear! Glad you got it home safe IV, surprised there was enough slack on the hose to be able to fix it like that! Interesting.

I don't have cover but that time when my water pump went, it took me 4.5 hours to do 40 miles :| I was close to tears. Definitely worth the £50 a year or whatever it is!

I have a picture somewhere of me on the M1 - very proud of myself I managed to close a whole lane due to the fact that it was in the middle of road works!

I've also had to be recovered from a Parent and child space at Sainsburys when the immobiliser gave up - needless to say the pee'd a few mothers off (I don't have a child - the spaces are just too convenient not to nip in there!). One woman had a go at me "Have you parked there?!" "No," I replied, "I have BROKEN DOWN there".

One woman had a go at me "Have you parked there?!" "No," I replied, "I have BROKEN DOWN there".

Genius :lol: , bet that went down well.