samthegram

samthegrams 2ltr 16v, now 180bhp!!

What pipe work is that you used? cant seam to find any for a valver

It is Samco, listed to fit a mk2 16v golf, they don't list one for the c. Fits perfect though, just wondering whether or not to order up some matching lengths to fit the heater pipes.

Ahh cool thanks for that

hi mate what rad and fan are you using?

It is one of Crazy Daves set ups from DG Autotech. Very good and an easy swap. Very helpful Guy.

cheers, I'll ask him for costs on stuff. I was looking at a mk2 8v rad is yours any bigger than standard?

Edited lol

Looking at the pics of the engine, that radiator looks like a 16v length, but aftermarket pattern radiator, as there's no protective strip on the top edge of the fins and I recognise the fin type from a pattern one I had.

They're OK for this country, but not really big enough to be capable of cooling the 16v engine in extreme heat or engine load.

I've said this before, but a longer 8v radiator is not better at cooling the engine than a standard OEM 16v one as the construction is different, a 16v aircon rad would be ideal, or similar from a seat toledo etc with aircon.

I've got all the diameters and lengths for silicon hoses for the matrix etc somewhere, as I made up the 16v golf kit with extra hoses, you can buy reducing elbows etc. for the head to matrix inlet and so on.

I didnt realise there were 16v aircons. I sounds like I should keep with a 16v rad, are slim line fans any good or not? I just want something new really as I cant be bothered to tread and paint the rust old brackets

Sam, did you modify your recaro subframes to make them sit lower? (if that is what your using?)

Sam, did you modify your recaro subframes to make them sit lower? (if that is what your using?)

No, I used Cobra subframes and re-drilled them to fit the Recaro steel sidemounts. They are a bit crudely made tbh but at least they can't be seen when the seats are on them.

I didnt realise there were 16v aircons. I sounds like I should keep with a 16v rad, are slim line fans any good or not? I just want something new really as I cant be bothered to tread and paint the rust old brackets

DG do laser cut brackets for slimline fans on the 16v rad :)

Quick update, I will be out of action for a couple of months because of breaking my left arm and finger badly in a bike crash :pale: on the 9th May. I can't drive obviously but also can't even tinker or even wash the C' , it's driving me mad already especially with this good weather :bad-words: I am looking forward to Tatton though as this should be soon after I can drive again.

Ouch. That's not good.

I'll not ask how you did it as it will only give me more to worry about when Kip is out on his.

But, if you are gonna be out of action for a few months it must have been quite some break.

I hope it mends well and soon.

Thats a bugger mate hope you are ok, how are you gonna cope with work then? you got insurance for being off sick?

Oh and i'll ask, What happened then? :eek:

Cheers for the best wishes guys, I was descending the Honister pass in the lake district during the Fred Whitton sportive and over cooked a corner, skidded and slammed into a dry stone wall! :shock: It was an ambulance job and I was taken to Whitehaven hospital. Then the next day to Macc hosp for an op to have my arm and finger pinned and plated. Good news is I managed to wash the C' on Sat eve :clap: so feel better for that at least.

Hmmmm, thanks. Kip takes great delight in decending very fast.

well done in cleaning the car.

Ooh that honister is a bitch mate, remember doing that on the montain bike one year. a speedy recovery then matey! hang in there.

Since starting to drive again at the beggining of july I thought I would treat myself to a new exhaust system as I have never been fully happy with the fit and quality of my powerflow system. Afer being recommended a place called JP exhausts in Macclesfield I gave them a call and booked in the C' for a new 'un.

My old set up was a 2" bore but was flattened over the rear beam to stop it knocking, JP managed to create a 2 1/4" bore and not flatten it and I was very impressed with the quality. :luvlove: :notworthy: I kept an oval tail pipe albeit 1/2" bigger all round but it fits the bumper cutout a lot better now.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfzaust.jpg[/attachment:3708dtxg] zaust 2.jpg[/attachment:3708dtxg]

With the all the excitement of my new 'zaust and my inlet manifold mods over the winter :nuts: I thought I would get an updated rolling road (previous power 165bhp @ stealth) . A local place to me that had been recommended by a couple of mates was Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield. After booking it in and having a power run I was a bit downhearted when it returned 162bhp :cry: On the upside they said that they noticed it was running quite lean and suggested a tune up and adjustment of the fueling and ignition advance saying that it would increase the power slightly. The next week I took it back and they carried out the tune up session, when I returned I was over the moon when they told me that it was now running 179.3bhp and 144.9lb/ft . :clap:

Good figures for a 9a I think, does anyone else on here have a valver with similar figures? If so I would be interested to compare specs.

Below is the power/torque graph for your perusal ;

yea me.. lol, well it felt fast no proof. Im gonna take my silver valver to stealth for adjustment once its MOT'ed

they're great numbers for a 9a, with the weight you've shed as well I bet this thing flies, great work :salute:

It does pick up very quickly now compared to when it was relatively standard and feels a smooth acceleration too, no sudden jerks or stutters. Granted it doesn't have the VR roar but it's good enough for me 8)

that's very decent power from a 9a and the sort of figures that i'm heading towards. Good work

Just gone into the bodyshop for a bit of front end tlc (oo...err... :camp: ) Looking a bit sorry for itself without wings or bumper.

LGIM0457.jpg

Nice to see there's no rust on the chassis legs though, more so 'cause I don't have any arch liners in. :grin:

179.3bhp and 144.9lb/ft . :clap:

Good figures for a 9a I think, does anyone else on here have a valver with similar figures? If so I would be interested to compare specs.

My K-jet 2L

153lb/ft at 5,700 whereas yours is about 145 at 6,000

but then different days different rolling roads, tyres etc, it's all a bit innacurate.

quick question.. which camshafts are you using? are they the stock 9a?

Have you considered swapping to KR or ABF cams as a cheap upgrade.. the KR cams in my 9A got me nearly 10hp and the power at 5-7k felt much more aggressive.