fla

Aqua blue pearl VR - p.34 bonnet cable repair

just a few small bits and pieces today - removed and cleaned the seals on the colourless side indicators. As usual there was the inevitable mildew in there. I'll run a seal of clear silicone on them to hopefully ensure it doesnt happen again. Also, i dont like the leather gaiter with my handbrake so i decided to cut some leather for the existing cream plastic one to dress it up a bit and to strengthen those thin side walls. Pieces have been cut and stuck on, i just need to finish off one top edge with felt.

I'm in the process of fitting the Parrot handfree, but its also a good time sort the birdsnest thats the wiring behind the panel. This was a real mission and VW have just about the greatest number of sharp edges you ever thought possible behind the dash :censored: OK, so the wiring is generally cleared up, i just need to connect the Parrot loom. But then it all needs to be nicely wrapped so i dont introduce new rattles. Interestingly, with the new felt pads and no glovebox the only rttles were from my drivers door card (top trim). I've removed that plastic pieces below the glovebox and stuck on some Damplifier to reduce vibration, but obviously something was still causing noise. If you do get squeeks, look at this area.

Some pics below. I'll put some more up as and the Prrot install gets completed. I'm also wiring in the TomTom, so hopefully this should also be connected to the HU but with all the wires nicely hidden.

Just swopped the all red rears for the clear reverse ones i had. I think it looks a bit better??

All reds may be up for sale soon, unless i get bored of the clear reverse ones.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf020320101045.jpg[/attachment:1ge1l2b1]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf020320101045.jpg[/attachment:1ge1l2b1]

and with all reds before:

07122009756.jpg[/attachment:1ge1l2b1]

Thanks for that James, I'm not even going to THINK about comparing my car to yours james :notworthy: . The handbrake has been done but i dont really like it too much as it was a real pain to take the leather around the back of the cover. I used felt instead and it doesnt look too good, tbh. I'll take it off again when i have some more time and cover it with thinner leather perhaps.

Parrot handsfree finally installed, together with loads of felt. Problem now is there is one rattle left which really stands out and i just cant locate it :censored: :censored:

I might relocate the control panel to the cubby hole and screw it onto the side, as the self adhesive tape is no way strong enough.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf090320101050.jpg[/attachment:gp91fs5f]

Screen is obscured by wheel from normal position,

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf090320101051.jpg[/attachment:gp91fs5f]

so i may opt for this location instead:

090320101052.jpg[/attachment:gp91fs5f]

OK, moreorless completed the shocks but then found out i'd chucked the rear top bushes and not bought the replacements :nono: , so need to get some of them asap. Just some general pics below, glad to get rid of the ghastly yellow, but i dont know how durable any paint finish is on the shocks as some of it has chipped already through me being a little careless :( Great.

well i bought some new bushes and bump stops for the shocks so decided to take them apart again and fit them. I've also got a spare set of top mounts and bearings just in case...

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf080420101097.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf080420101098.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf080420101099.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

ETKA Corrado.pdf080420101100.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

Corrado92.pdf080420101101.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf080420101102.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

and after seeing OSV's tank straps i had to have a bash at my ones, although they wont be nearly as nice:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf080420101105.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

080420101104.jpg[/attachment:2hq6s4va]

I spent about half an hour with the wire wheel and didnt get too far. Then thought about using the flap wheel which just tore through the corrosion. Filed the edges down with a hand file and painted it with ahmmerite. I had to leave the top to hang it, so these will be done tomorrow.

yep, going well thanks, very smooth, just looking forward to installing the new cams now :)

some useful progress - shocks finally fitted quite easily, no major issues. Also managed to fit the repainted fuel tank straps - actually my old ones werent too bad, they might even have been okay with a light brushing and a few coats of hammerite. Anyway some pics; just need to drive it and see how to adjust these Konis.

car is looking superb mate, perfect height. :luvlove:

Personally i prefer red rears with white cut out, but it looks good either way.

Your car does look so very tidy and clean mate 8)

Many thanks James, nowhere near yours though, or should i say Coulstar's.

car is looking superb mate, perfect height. :luvlove:

Personally i prefer red rears with white cut out, but it looks good either way.

Thats what i have at the moment (like your avatar), just crappy pics showing it that way.

bit of a drive today, certainly firmer than the standard shocks, so need to get used to it, but there is rubbing from the back sometimes - no spacers so i'm not sure why. Will havea look. Plus a few rattles/quiet knocks from the front, maybe the top mount bolts need to be tighter

Top thread Fla....

In total envy reading through this, perfect colour and interior.

Just about to start on a set of spare tank straps myself as they do start to look pretty sad after a while but have found a mess of trailer hook wiring wrapped amongst them... DOH!

Keep up the good work as it's looking spot on.

Fitted the rear strut brace recently. Maybe should have driven the car without it first to feel the difference it makes, but handling is really nice atm, perhaps a bit too hard for me, if i'm honest, then again i've been on the wallowy standard suspension for almost 5 years now! Might get some 16" rims...

just fitted the shift weight, bloody hell it makes a difference to the gearchange. :D

just had a quick read through and must say that its a great build. really want your interior now! Will be on the lookout for a beige setup now.

Paint looks lurvley too.

Lovely car bro... Good to see it lowered now, looks alot better!! Did u get the paint sorted??

just a few stats from yesterdays drive. 300 mile round trip, MFA said 32.7 mpg, good long runs on the M1, good few blasts of full throttle, not just pootling around. gernally running at around 80-85. Oil never went above 96 until i came into town when it went up to 100, driving at around at 20-30 mph, very stop start. A bit noisy at speed, i need to see to my front windscreen seal trim. Plus needs some MLV sheets on the floor and in the door cards. New springs ahve arrived (Nothelle) which should raise it a little - will get them blasted and re-powdercoated, maybe in red, dont really like them in yellow :pukeright:

Why do u want to raise it bro? Looks ace as is! How difficult is the strut brace to fit? I need to pop round sometime...

Why do u want to raise it bro? Looks ace as is! How difficult is the strut brace to fit? I need to pop round sometime...

You're more than welcome Abdul. Its a bit too low for me tbh, plus we have so many speed bumps around here i just end up going over them at 1mph and even then the splitter getrs a scrape :( It'll only go up by about 10mm max. I was in dukest's car not so long ago and the ride was absolutely superb, with a slightly higher ride height. He also has the same shocks as me, but slightly higher springs.

Cool sounds good. You thought about getting a 50 mm splitter? What is this gearbox shift weight u speak of?

You're more than welcome Abdul. Its a bit too low for me tbh, plus we have so many speed bumps around here i just end up going over them at 1mph and even then the splitter getrs a scrape :( It'll only go up by about 10mm max. I was in dukest's car not so long ago and the ride was absolutely superb, with a slightly higher ride height. He also has the same shocks as me, but slightly higher springs.

I was in his car a couple of months ago and I agree with your statement. It certainly beats my car's lofty feel (old standard suspensions, standard speedlines plus crap tyres). Don't get me wrong, my car's handling & ride ain't bad at all, but it's at the age where it could do with a few parts replacing/renewing.

With the rear struct fitted, can you actually feel any real-world on-road benefit?

Cheers!

With the rear struct fitted, can you actually feel any real-world on-road benefit?

Cheers!

Prob not... but it does look good :)

Have to say man, the car looks superb :notworthy: