Sign in to follow this  
pimp

HELP. VR won't start.

My '93' Vr won't start. The car is turning over but there is no spark. I've tested the HT leads and they're working fine.

Question. Are the coil packs (no dizzy) a problem area and does anyone have wiring diagrams for the ignition I could have a look at so I can see if I have a short anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Got to get it B4 Xmas.

As far as I'm aware the immobiliser only cuts out the starter motor. I'll get it looked at on Mon hopefully. Any other ideas??

a couple of things you could try

get someone to turn the ignition key on, a with you at the back of the car listen for the fuel pump priming? it could be that or the ignition switch?another thing is check all the relays are pushed right in correctly

regards

nigwell

I found out it's my crank postion sensor. Anyone know where I can get one or if there is any simple tests I can use to check the loom?

I found out it's my crank postion sensor. Anyone know where I can get one or if there is any simple tests I can use to check the loom?

Look in this this thread - try a Ford Dealer and get the part from a Galaxy V6 (uses the VW VR6 engine) - save yourself mega pounds apparently...

I've heard rumors about part sharing with the galaxy. thanx stormseeker I'll shall try that.

Remove the CPS and clean it, and clean the blcok up where it seats too. then refit it, with NO grease. Worked for me. New one is about £130!!

I've managed to find a friend with ford discount, (I do live in Dagenham). A Galaxy one costs in region of £60. At that price I'll change it for piece of mind. Do these sensors have a habit of failing or are they generally quite good. I mean could there be a reason for this sensor and my cam sensor about 12 months ago giving up the ghost? Or is it just bad luck?

Generally, the Cam sensor goes before the Crank sensor does. I had a new Cam sensor at 75K and a new Crank sensor at 81K.....both were replacing the original ones AFAIK.

All they are is a large scale record player pick up cartridge.....magnetic pulses create a tiny voltage which is amplified by the ECU and translated into a timing map. When the magnets lose their magnetism (as they do with age and constant heat soak and also know as 'loss of resolution'), the voltage output drops so low, the ECU throws a code, usually "Implausible" signal.....

So it's just old age that kills them......however, being magnets, they do attract engine swarf (especially the crank one being near the sump) so a periodic clean might be an idea.

K

Cheers will keep that in mind. I still can't belive how easy most things are to replace on these cars though. Nothing like my 205 or 309.

For future reference, it would be useful if you can post up the Ford part numbers you use - this could save a lot of people a lot of cash! :)

Thnx.