luke w

My 1990 matt black Corrado Valver - New wheels

Bought this back in November to use as my daily after deciding to make my Mk2 a dedicated track car. Had be stood for a while and had only covered 2000 miles in 4 years so it is in need of a bit of attention, but it had 12 months MOT and my offer of £700 was accepted so it was too good to turn down.

The bodywork and interior are a little shabby, but nothing too serious, I'm hoping to get it all cleaned up for not much money. It has a stainless steel exhaust fitted, some rather fetching TSW Hockenheim alloys and I later found out Powerflex rear beam bushes. Other than that it was standard. This is how it looked the day I picked it up.

Photo193.jpg

Photo194.jpg

It drove well, but I just couldn't get along with the soft suspension, so bought a set of Ebay special coilovers and had them fitted, also had to change the wheels as well for a set I had lying around as the tyres were knackered. So within a few weeks this is how it looked.

Photo272.jpg

Photo273.jpg

Then the niggly faults started to happen. Firstly the rear heated screen stopped working (managed to get a new switch for £2 which fixed that). Then I lost all dash lights, the fuel pump has started making a loud buzzing noise and the driver's side door handle has broken, the joys of owning a old car.

Still hasn't put me off the car, I love the way it looks and drives, and I know once I get round to paying it some attention the small problems will be fixed and could be turned into a half decent Corrado for hopefully as close to a grand as I can get it.

That looks mean as mate 8)

You cant really go wrong for 700 smackers.

I reckon the only thing you will have to worry about for a daily is not to get carried away with the modding and constantly improving it :grin:

That looks mean as mate 8)

You cant really go wrong for 700 smackers.

I reckon the only thing you will have to worry about for a daily is not to get carried away with the modding and constantly improving it :grin:

I'm hoping playing about with my Mk2 will distract me from mucking about with this. I've said that all I will do to it is get it sitting right with a decent set of wheels and that's it. Still wouldn't mind a leather interior though.

looks cool on those rims mate, nice :D

Thanks mate :)

There are in need of a rebuild though as they leak air very slowly, so I'll take the opportunity to fit wider dishes, I'm thinking 8" at the front and 8.5" at the rear.

While I'm rebuilding them I'll probably fit a set of these.

th_black.jpg

I've got a set at home that were due to go on my track Mk2, but can't afford the tyres at the moment (225 wide R888s are £125 each!) so they are sitting around doing nothing. I fitted one without the tyre the other weekend, reckon they'll look good. Then hopefully they'll go on my track car and the rebuilt splits will go back onto the Corrado. Although I'm not entirely sure where I'll find the time or money, as I'm in the middle of building and fitting a G60 turbo into my Mk2 which I'll need to do first.

I wasn't sure if they'd suit it or not, but when I tried one the other day it looked really smart. Probably won't be done now until April though, I've decided to get my Mk2 ready for the GTI Spring Festival (albeit with the old engine) so it's going to be another month of neglect for the poor car.

Time for a bit of an update!

After using and abusing the Rado for the best part of a year I decided the car needed a freshen up. Someone deciding to reshape my rear quarter panel when it was parked up, the whole rear arch was caved in. It was at that point that I started to decided to tidy the body and respray it.

A while ago my brother and I managed to get hold of a work shop so the work could begin.

Firstly there were a few rust issues to sort out on the rear arches and I removed the side mouldings. (The pics are a bit crap as they are off my phone).

096.jpg

097.jpg

There was also a crease in the drivers door where my neighbour decided to use it to stop her car door flying open!

098.jpg

Work in progress pics, removed the Corrado badge and filled in the join lines on the rear panel.

107.jpg

Tidied up the rear arch.

108.jpg

And sorted the dent in the door.

109.jpg

I also pinched my bro's old 50mm inlet manifold and decided to do it in gloss black.

103.jpg

I cleaned up the cam cover as well with silver hammerite.

104.jpg

110.jpg

Quickly redone my split rims in gloss black all over, it's only a quick fix, still not sure what to go with long term.

106.jpg

Putting the missues to good use masking up the car [:D]

565.jpg

Her handy work.

566.jpg

I did do a bit of work.

570.jpg

Car all masked up and ready to spray.

567.jpg

568.jpg

569.jpg

And the finished result. Only have crappy phone pics at the moment, will get better pictures this weekend.

113.jpg

112.jpg

809364d9.jpg

Still got loads more to do to it, all the little details like the lights, grill, rear panel, etc.

Thanks mate, still want to do loads more to it. Next on the list is to change the side repeaters, all red rears and then look for a set of 17s so that I can rebuild the 15s I have on there now to 8.5" with polished rims.

bit of an odd question but did you manage to lacquer it?

when we did the mk2 vr6 in matt black, couldnt get anthing to take to it.

matt paint seems to lift easily so it soon started to look a bit rough round the edges.

jeeze.. thats gotta be the laziest respray ever!! front indicators, numberplate & rear lights come off so easily!

Fair play though, the end result looks alright from the pics.. personally i think its so close to being murdered i'd stick with the theme..

bit of an odd question but did you manage to lacquer it?

when we did the mk2 vr6 in matt black, couldnt get anthing to take to it.

matt paint seems to lift easily so it soon started to look a bit rough round the edges.

I haven't lacquered, the matt black is the top coat. I also sprayed my Mk2 track car matt black more than 5 years ago and the paint on that is still good.

Photo102.jpg

jeeze.. thats gotta be the laziest respray ever!! front indicators, numberplate & rear lights come off so easily!

Fair play though, the end result looks alright from the pics.. personally i think its so close to being murdered i'd stick with the theme..

Yeah it was a bit lazy, but I had my reasons! I had to use the car to get to work first thing the next morning and I new I wasn't going to be able to start spraying it until the evening, so it was a hell of a lot quicker to just whip off the masking tap at midnight that start bolting things back on. Plus, the screws for the number plate are rounded, as have a bolt on both rear lights.

Yeah it was a bit lazy, but I had my reasons! I had to use the car to get to work first thing the next morning and I new I wasn't going to be able to start spraying it until the evening, so it was a hell of a lot quicker to just whip off the masking tap at midnight that start bolting things back on. Plus, the screws for the number plate are rounded, as have a bolt on both rear lights.

fair play.. the 300 got anything to do with you?

Yeah, it was my mum's, then I bought it off her while the Corrado was off the road, then sold it back to her when the Corrado went back on the road. It's a very nice car, but I really missed the Corrado so was pretty glad when she offered to buy it back.

It's a twin turbo model, had it about 9 years now. She's not afraid of driving properly, been in the car with her a few times getting the back end out.

Finally got round to taking some decent pictures of the Corrado.

P1020538.jpg

P1020536.jpg

P1020539.jpg

P1020542.jpg

P1020543.jpg

P1020540.jpg

P1020544.jpg

I'm still really unsure what to do with all the small details the lights, grill and wheels.

I'm thinking all red rears, late style grill with a black badge, smoked side repeaters and a nice set of 17" splits? And maybe a 50mm splitter? Or just keep it as it is?

Looks suprinsingly good. How do you manage to drive it that with the spoiler like that?

as above :shock: mine is up in the air compared to most c's n i still cant get it up or down the drive without the dreaded scrapping of the splitter :(

It does scrape quite a bit, but the front spoiler was already mullered when I got it so I wasn't too bothered about it catching. The missus doesn't like it too much though, certainly causes a few heads to turn!

Both me n me mate got the wood saws out and cut our tired old 90mm splitters down to 50, they look like new now, pop your front lights apart and paint all the none reflective parts black, they'll look good againt the black, how did you paint the car? Rattle cans or compressor or roller? You no had too much trouble with it tiger striping, shows real bad on matt black usually

I might look into cutting down the front spoiler.

Yeah it was painted with rattle cans, only on the drivers door can you faintly see it a bit stripy, but only when the sun catches it in a certain way.

I've thought about doing the headlamps, I'm just worried it'll be a bit too much. I'd have to do the indicators to match as well.