Sign in to follow this  
Wendy

996 Test Drive - Poor Jim !!

Someone, please check Jim is still breathing !!!

Sat behind me, chin on knees, completly doubled up in the back of this 911, we went for a Test Drive !!!! :lol: :lol:

I drove for at least 1/2 mile before I started to open her up and drive a litlle more actively - I think I managed to ask just once if my passengers were ok - there were some mumours in the background. :lol: :lol:

Just as Jim was probably getting used to the seating position of the cramped rear seats - I decided to warn my passengers that I wanted to really try the brakes and brake hard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

In case Jim by now was becoming confident nothing else could happen to him, I wanted to check the steering by quick side to side from left to right a few times on the steering wheel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On returning, I left them both sat in their seats for a while - for recovery and to remove any mess !!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Interestingly Jim really commented on the roar of the engine/exhaust - I think I was concentrating hard on testing this car - did it work what I call properly. I have driven a few 993's and 997's , so know I am in love with the sound, it is the most sexy thing ever. :luvlove:

On Sunday, I drove my first 996 and frankly it was not right. Bodywork and Interior aside, it did not feel right to drive, hence this evening's drive was probably harder - good fun too !! :)

And, restored my faith in Porsche's 996's. :D

Actually it wasn't that terrifying Wendy.. I was just winding you up :) It was an absolutely superb car though.. looked absolutely spot on, gripped like sh!t to a blanket and sounded superb. The dealer certainly seemed to come across as a very genuine and decent guy. Reading his website earlier Wendy and you can bump the 3 month warranty up to 2 years for that bit of peace of mind.

You should go for it!

Besides, I want more old women at my block of flats asking it it's my "girlfriend" turning up in a Porsche 911! LOL!

The rear seats were hilarious. With Wendy driving I could just about fit in but turned sideways. With the seats fully back, it would simply be impossible to get in to the rear. And they were literally like a stiff bench - I clambered in expecting to fall into them like you do in the Corrado rear seats but instead just stopped onto firm leather sitting totally upright with no bucket shape to the seats at all! I can only assume the fronts were slightly better ;)

Had to laugh that the dealer was making cracks about you being a spirited driver.. he's only known you for an hour! Whatever gave him that impression!! :D

Besides, I want more old women at my block of flats asking it it's my "girlfriend" turning up in a Porsche 911! LOL!

Yeah but Jim, she did that and I was in my Corrado !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

This was the car - camera phone picture is a bit pants but you get the idea :)

Wendy, I work with someone who has a 996 GT2 Clubsport and is a member of the PureGT forum. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask him then do let me know!

Cheers

John

Wendy, I work with someone who has a 996 GT2 Clubsport and is a member of the PureGT forum. If you have any questions you'd like me to ask him then do let me know!

Cheers

John

How about what's he doing Friday night? :norty:

:lol:

lol! he's married but i'm sure there are many porsche-owning single men he does know..!

That 996 looks fantastic Wendy - I love the areo kit too! Glad it didn't disapoint... so is this the one or do you have more to think about?

Sounds good Wendy. A little unsure about the aero kit myself but there is no denying these are fantastic cars.

It's a genuine full GT3 body kit fitted by Porsche from the factory... it looks superb in the flesh, honestly :)

It's a genuine full GT3 body kit fitted by Porsche from the factory... it looks superb in the flesh, honestly :)

Just looks a bit chavvy in my opinion, if it is not actually a GT3 :wink:

Just looks a bit chavvy in my opinion, if it is not actually a GT3 :wink:

looks like a fella i used to work with car, although his was a c4s with the same kit and wheels, i'm not a huge fan of the rear spoiler but in the flesh they look great! and if its porsche fitted you'd never know that it was an add on :D

those tailpipes am afraid look a bit chavvy on a NB 996,they're Turbo/C4S ones IIRC,also I would avoid the Savannha interior purely from a resale point of view,more important with a 996 due to the fact there are always so many of them for sale,Aerokit/GT3 styling actually suits the 996 as long as the PO hasn't badged it as the real deal

Wendy best get yourself on to here http://www.911uk.com there will be a lot more advice there for you too,btw I'm Rodders on there and Asim is also on there as 993C2S

If you could stretch to it something like this would be nice.

Good colour combo, low miles, facelift 3.6L model etc

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=52

The one thing I would say about buying a Porsche (or any Top Marque) is that it really does pay in the long run to spend a little more getting the RIGHT car, rather than the OK car. As you will always make that money back in the long run, through ease of resale and good residuals.

Guys thanks for all your comments, pointers of advise etc.

It is such a huge decision, as to me, its a rather large sum of money to be spending and i cannot afford to mess it up.

I need to be very careful in ensuring I do not loose too much in depreciation, so getting the right one is mega important

The 996 I saw on Tuesday - with Jim - would not be the one I bought despite it looking beautiful and drove well.

There were a couple of reasons. I want to view quite a few and check the condition and I am not a rush impulse purchaser. I think I viewed about 8 VR's before I bought one !!

I am struggling about the fact that all Porsches have had so many owners, I have only found one with 3 owners and most have 4 - 5. This is on a 8 - 11 year old car !!!!!!

Of course i understand why if i think about it. 80k on a new car - (or thereabouts) means you probabaly have the money to lose masses of depreciation and swap cars reguarly, even going down to the 35 - 40k value range - it appears the same.

I really would prefer a vehicle to have had much fewer owners - i just think it will have been cared for so much more.

On the Porsches - there really does not seem to be much care in getting in and out of the car - is this a case of too much money ? I wonder.

I will look at the websites that have been mentioned, thank for that.

This was the car - camera phone picture is a bit pants but you get the idea :)

Now that`s what I call SEX ON WHEELS.

Really like this Porsche, one day I will own one but until then there will be a sticky mess in my pants every time I see one :grin:

I don't think I would ever want to own a Porsche. In my head I have this picture of a Porsche driver as an 80s stock trader with red braces and a mobile phone the size of a brick. But maybe that's just me :shrug:.

Nice car though. I just don't like the image, if that makes sense.

A 911 is definitely on my "must own one" list but not keen on the 996, I'm old fashioned and think a 911 should be air cooled, not a fan of the fried egg headlights on the 996 either. A good friend of mine has a stunning 993 and to me, it represents the perfect 911 for me - narrow body, standard alloys, subdued colour

Big decision for you Wendy but I'm sure you'll take your time and wait for the car that meets your exact requiremnts to come along

A 911 is definitely on my "must own one" list but not keen on the 996, I'm old fashioned and think a 911 should be air cooled, not a fan of the fried egg headlights on the 996 either. A good friend of mine has a stunning 993 and to me, it represents the perfect 911 for me - narrow body, standard alloys, subdued colour

Big decision for you Wendy but I'm sure you'll take your time and wait for the car that meets your exact requiremnts to come along

.....couldnt agree more, I love the 993 awesome car, not keen on the 996 but hey its still a porsche !!

Gonna buy a 997 next week when I win the lottery on Saturday :D

Wendy best get yourself on to here http://www.911uk.com there will be a lot more advice there for you too,btw I'm Rodders on there and Asim is also on there as 993C2S

Asim's is/was stunning to look at and drive :notworthy:

Wendy

Don't blame you for considering these, especially GT2's - but I did read a review which warned that early 996's had weak crank seals, clutch end, which is a lump-out job - and because sales were slow in 2001/02 a fair few 2001 mftr yr actually masquerade as 2002 regs.

Happy testing!

PS - is a Carrera 2 really worth bothering with when a decent blown C will eat it for breakfast? :lol: