Sign in to follow this  
blue95

Bonnet Vent or scoop?

I know either are not to most ppls tastes......but at the mo when you open the bonnet after a 'normal' run the heat coming from the back of the engine is like a hair dryer! :shock:

Obviously this is a problem when leaving the car parked up, which I will be fixing by replacing with a lower temp thermo time switch on the head.

The other time when stuck in traffic. Basically want to ensure heat is sufficiently vented when in traffic to avoid any long term damage to parts and components.

Does anyone have any tips for stationery cooling or recommendation for bonnet venting?

Cheers

This is what i would do, they did a bonnet for me ages ago was very good

http://www.coollouvres.com/

Gave them a bell already...the will have to remove a section of paint (not a prob), maybe a prob with water ingress tho. Not sure I fancy it dripping onto a hot mani and turbo LOL

Was thinking about astra gte ones LOL they have a rain tray as well.

i have been consiering this too.

Will be interested to see what you do.

Defo have to sort something out......too much not good!

Was looking at vagcat see the G60 came with the lower temp 90c thero time switch on the head (16v comes with 100c or 105c one). Does your fan stay on for longer after a spirited run? Wondered if its overkill if I fit the 90c one?

I just had a thought though.....arent vents like that meant to disperse air, so why over air filter ? :scratch: .....genuine quesiton

this is what i have on mine, its over the air filter :)

n553540507_7227773_8329260.jpg

Rob

OOOooo defo like that!!

Any probs with water on the filter???

I just had a thought though.....arent vents like that meant to disperse air, so why over air filter ? :scratch: .....genuine quesiton

sucks in cool air

this is what i have on mine, its over the air filter :)

n553540507_7227773_8329260.jpg

Rob

OOOooo defo like that!!

Any probs with water on the filter???

nothing to date mate, just be abit more carfull when washing it (dont spray water direct on to it)

Rob

nothing to date mate, just be abit more carfull when washing it (dont spray water direct on to it)

Rob

cheers,

Did you notice any temp drops when in traffic etc?

I would go MK1 Golf style louvres personally, with some kind of water deflector underneath.

Unless things are absolutely roasting, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I know you have a 1.8T (I think) but my turbo is very close to the bonnet and I don't get any heat issues at all. If anything it runs cooler than a stock VR6.

sucks in cool air

doh....of course

Rob

cheers,

nothing at all mate

I would go MK1 Golf style louvres personally, with some kind of water deflector underneath.

I know you have a 1.8T (I think) but my turbo is very close to the bonnet and I don't get any heat issues at all. If anything it runs cooler than a stock VR6.

LOL see what u mean! yep mines the 20vt

Just get some interesting smells...maybe its just because all hose etc are new and things are just settling down yet with the heat.

Water hoses for the heater nozzles are getting very soft...can't remember it doing that with the valver.

Is your downpipe heat wrapped? then again I get alot of heat from the manifold.

Rob

cheers,

nothing at all mate[/quote:uugl91qy]

LOL maybe I don't need vents then

hang on i read it wrong lol i thought u ment up, no its cooler than before

Cool lol....watch this space!

LOL see what u mean! yep mines the 20vt

Just get some interesting smells...maybe its just because all hose etc are new and things are just settling down yet with the heat.

Water hoses for the heater nozzles are getting very soft...can't remember it doing that with the valver.

Is your downpipe heat wrapped? then again I get alot of heat from the manifold.

My 'new install' smells took a good few weeks to fully go, and even now there's still the odd fuel vapour and general heat smells, 2 and a bit years on!

It never gets hot enough to cause alarm bells though.

Yeah the downpipe is lagged and that and my cobbled together heat shield seem to work quite nicely :D

Do you mean the screenwash jet hoses get soft? That will happen if the bulkhead weather seal is missing. I had that problem too, but put a new weather strip on and it's been fine since :D

My missus's standard 1.8T polo gets roasting too. I think it's just the VW mapping which is very very lean in the midrange and cruise, which keeps EGTs very high..... I run mine rich as feck, which runs the motor cooler :D

first time i have seen kev "mr corrado" haywires engine bay actually... VERY NICE!!!!! :D

first time i have seen kev "mr corrado" haywires engine bay actually... VERY NICE!!!!! :D

Didn't mean to hijack the thread btw!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread btw!

would like to know more about your car mate, also some other pics...