MOT tomorrow... Finally!

The guy who has my car is starting to **** me off... I was planning on driving my car down to bristol next weekend... I may not be able to at this rate!

STILL NOT BEEN FOR AN MOT!!

:censored:

Very disappointed at the moment... got the car back from the garage after it not going to the MOT because the fan wasn't kicking in. So I spent the weekend trying to do some work myself seeing as it has been dry...

Turned into a productive weekend right up until for some unknown reason the alternator tensioner pulley got seized and when i went to start the car the belt MELTED the pulley... Now I can't drive the car back to the garage or the MOT centre, there is melted plastic all over the belt and other pulleys and it's just one big mess..

I have pictures but that will have to wait until monday now, Im a little to p*ssed off to post any pictures just now :(

Sounds like a nightmare , chin up though mate . Leave it for a few days then start again . Its not like the melted pulley can get any worse .

The luck your having has got to change soon !

Have you thought of human sacrifice to try and please the Gods ?

If I had been around anyone when it happened I would have killed tbh! I was in such a rotten mood!

Thing is I was hoping to get the car MOT'd this week to drive south next week.... Oh well! If the parts get here quick enough I might be able to do something after work but it depends on the weather.

I did get lots done and there is loads more to see so stay tuned. Photo's will follow shortly

---

- Sent from my iPhone you lemon!

Feel for you mate. Pretty soul destroying. All sounds sortable though- hang in there, it'll be worth it ;)

Genius sun roof fix, by the way! :lol:

In a driveway far far away....

CORRADO

WARS

Chapter One: A New Hope

got the car back from the garage with the intention of fixing the following things so i could test for an MOT:

1. Rear cill needed welding
  2. Idle speed needing reducing
  3. Rad fan needing fixing

I got my friend Ali-one to help with the welding and I have to say he did a GREAT job! The weld is strong with him...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48759[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]48760[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48761[/ATTACH]

While he was prattling round the back of the car I went to have a look at fixing the fan... Turned out to be a dodgy earth so reconnected that and bingo! job done!

Next the idle speed... I cleaned the ISV out and gave it a good scrub... Was still really high though so I may yet need a new one... hope not though, not at a tone each!

When I had finished doing that I got a wink from Ali-one and he pointed out a problem...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48762[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]48763[/ATTACH]

Not good at all! no idea why they are rubbing but they are! against the inside of the tyre wall. Happily I had a simple fix in mind for this...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48764[/ATTACH]

BOOM 20mm spacers..... Weapon!

Then Ali-one went home and I finished off the day by tidying up my bonnet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48766[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48767[/ATTACH]

And thus the first chapter ended...

Chapter Two: The Engine-Fire Strikes Back

The next day I decided to take the car round the block and get a feel for her and listen out for any noises... knocking, misfiring ect. There was a rubbing at the rear wheels... Looks like 20mm may have been a little optimistic without arch rolling!!

So I decided to head back home but before I made it I got a nasty fright... Horrid burning smell from the engine bay, and then the car cut out. I had an engine fire!!! :suprised:

Jumped out opened the bonnet... It was lucky I had recently wrapped my loom in new tape because i think that's all the stopped it going up in flames.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48765[/ATTACH]

That's the part of the loom that goes up to the ISV and stuff, gutted. It looks like it was sitting on that metal water pipe. I reckon after it got warm it was enough to slowly melt the plastic, cause a short and start a smouldering fire.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48768[/ATTACH] SO I exposed the wiring loom and remade that loom with some new wire, re-connected the wires and then wrapped it back up. This time ensuring the wiring didn't go anywhere near that pipe!

Now here's the fun part....

Went to start the car to check the ISV and I saw (yet more!) smoke coming from the open bonnet and a sound like a loose fan belt... left the car running and went to have a look and I saw pools of molten plastic dripping off the fan belt! ARGGGGHHH! What! :suprised:

stopped the car but by this point it was to late... For some reason the tensioner pulley had seized and the fan belt had melted it into a half moon shape... no way was I getting that to a garage now...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48771[/ATTACH]

I'm so gutted... Thing is I don't think I'll get that pulley off without the tensioner coming off and the tensioner damper looks like It's about to fall off...

Tried sourcing a new pulley and damper...

037145299 - Belt tensioner damper - £81.65 + VAT

074145278E - Tensioner roller pulley - £26.71 + VAT

037145933B - Ribbed v-belt - £19.80 +VAT

So that's £155 before I even get to the MOT centre.... And that's if I do the work myself! :( (if I could find a crying smile I'd be using it...)

BTW... I've tried every VW garage for 50 miles no one will give me a discount... :(

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

some good news

Mimjed on here has agreed to give me a second hand damper and roller for £15... It's in better nick than mine so lets hope it does the buisness!

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

And I thought I had bad luck!! You have such bad luck Alex.... Good luck with it mate, all I can say is sorry you live so far away, I would be up to help in a heartbeat!

The force is strong with this one :)

And I thought I had bad luck!! You have such bad luck Alex.... Good luck with it mate, all I can say is sorry you live so far away, I would be up to help in a heartbeat!

The force is strong with this one :)

hows about I fly you up! :lol:

It's OK, got a few good pals on Scottish VAG that I can call on Ali-one being ... one of them

Hey if your at the dealers you might be able to get a discount , the last time I was at an Edinburgh branch the guy gave me a discount. He thought I would be a part of a car club. aperently all you have to say the magic words of "I am a member of scottis V.A.G "

Bingo it saved me a bundle!

Shame you can't bring it down for me, would love to help you out. We can fix anything at SMVW

whey, you have a new tensioner. Get in. Let me know if you need a hand. I'm supposed to be plastering the morn, but give me a shout if you need anything, back rub, moral support, etc.

Oh and for the record I don't "prattle" about, I precision bodge on your behalf. I was going t o post up some pic's for you but you're on it already.

I dunno if you had a "before" one though.

DSC00741.jpg

As and aside http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bump-steer-kits-Golf-Mk1-2-3-Corrado-s-Vw-/170672850652?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bce506dc Cheeky fecker.

Cheeky indeed, shame you only just spotted those... they look identical :(

I'm going to be removing the alternator and tensioner tonight when I get back from work (5:30ish), I also need to think about getting my new sunroof in as I noticed that my sunroof seal is falling off... But that means painting the roof, needs another coat of primer and then paint and lacquer. Loads to do! I'm expecting to have the parts Wednesday so when ever you can help would be great! :)

has to be said that i admire the dedication your showing ...... i think allot of people would have just had enough by now and that would be another G60 gone :'(

good work mate

has to be said that i admire the dedication your showing ...... i think allot of people would have just had enough by now and that would be another G60 gone :'(

good work mate

I dunno.. most of the stuff I've changed would need to be changed on any car at some point... It's not like I've had to take the head off or got a knackered shell. The interior is in OK nick, the gearbox is OK, got good boost from the charger, all told shes not a bad ol'girl. I couldn't bring myself to ever break her...

I'm weeping over dundee cake for you.... Alex.....Alleeeeexxxx....

Seriously though, if you need any more generic 4-pot parts drop me a line.

I'm weeping over dundee cake for you.... Alex.....Alleeeeexxxx....

Seriously though, if you need any more generic 4-pot parts drop me a line.

cheers dude, just keep in mind i still want to meet up for a pint when I'm next Oxford way!

I'll get you a fresh cake to weep over... That one you have must be getting ripe by now...