Oh to be young and ambitious again!

Well done Alex! - You probably were by Sunday night. Try and get a rest at work!

Thanks for kind words re my car. Good luck with your project - I'll be keeping an eye on it and wishing it was me doing it - - - - not!!

Great to meet you, and lucky you having mates like that to help you.

Cheers for now.

Oh to be young and ambitious again!

Well done Alex! - You probably were by Sunday night. Try and get a rest at work!

Thanks for kind words re my car. Good luck with your project - I'll be keeping an eye on it and wishing it was me doing it - - - - not!!

Great to meet you, and lucky you having mates like that to help you.

Cheers for now.

no problem mate! was great meeting you too.

And your right about my mates, I couldn't have done half the stuff I got done without them.

Wow !

You sure had more than your fair share of rust !

Did you manage to get "new" tank straps ? As my dealer said the long one's were obsolete !

Good write up, for once I think we had your rain this weekend.

Wow !

You sure had more than your fair share of rust !

Did you manage to get "new" tank straps ? As my dealer said the long one's were obsolete !

Good write up, for once I think we had your rain this weekend.

yeah, got both sides no problem. I think they are the same part number as on the golf thou so maybe they used that part number.

The weather was OK, rained first thing Sat morning and started again at 7pm sunday evening so i was quite lucky i think!

EDIT: g60 straps are the same as mk3 straps i think but VR6's have larger tanks and so different straps.

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

The state of that oil filter too!

new oil filter and oil was delivered today from OPIE. The existing filter is 2-3 years old but has only covered 4000 miles. I changed it myself but it does look a little filthy, the whole engine bay needs a degrease. I was going to get it steam cleaned at some point.

good work there alex! looks like you got a fair bit done.

i thought my rad support panel was bad, that thing looks knackered! where has the car been before/since you had it?

Nice one Alex, good to see the wishbones fitted.

If you wanted the wishbones leading edge crud deflectors then the parts numbers are 357 615 447A and 357 615 448A for the L/H and R/H about £5 each inc VAT, you will also need 6 plastic rivet pins to attach them with, 333 867 633 4FB a whopping 20p each (ish).

They look like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47197[/ATTACH]

The 'ears' on the brake caliper are a different part.

Nice one Alex, good to see the wishbones fitted.

If you wanted the wishbones leading edge crud deflectors then the parts numbers are 357 615 447A and 357 615 448A for the L/H and R/H about £5 each inc VAT, you will also need 6 plastic rivet pins to attach them with, 333 867 633 4FB a whopping 20p each (ish).

They look like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47197[/ATTACH]

The 'ears' on the brake caliper are a different part.

They look ideal mate!

Have got a loan of an engine hoist and will be hopefully dropping the sub frame this weekend (so long as the weather holds...) to get the second hand PAS pipes and rack i have fitted. Then it's on with the new hubs and rear suspension.

QUICK QUESTION:

would it be stupid of me to submerse the rusty hubs I have in this stuff? http://www.carnaubawaxshop.co.uk/detailing/89/bilthamber-deoxc-1kg

Am I right in thinking this wont do my baring any good?

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

good work there alex! looks like you got a fair bit done.

i thought my rad support panel was bad, that thing looks knackered! where has the car been before/since you had it?

Ran as a daily in Edinburgh. Did about 70k miles on cold salty town roads, also kept outside next to the sea (firth and forth estuary). Then (as i described to Yan) when my front suspension collapsed due to a broken subframe i don't think the garage i used replaced any of the bushes, track rods, top links,ARB bushes etc... they just slapped the old stuff back on.

And then it sat idle for almost 2 years on my drive (6 months of which was without a car cover). At one point it was under 3 feet of snow.

Sooooo, it's not had the best life so far! :lol:

The state of that oil filter too!

just to keep you happy Supercharged....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47198[/ATTACH] OLD

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47199[/ATTACH] NEW

HAPPY!!!:p

Some more pictures of the front cross memeber. These where taken on my mate Ali's phone and show the TRUE colour of the rad panel and cross member.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47200[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47201[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47202[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47203[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]47204[/ATTACH]

Hey Alex you're really getting stuck into this now, liking the cross member colour :)

Starting my sub frame now too, so will defo keep an eye on this for hints!

Thanks Guys!

It's not been an easy road to travel, but when I sit in the car for the first time in 2 years and drive to mull for my holidays... I'm hoping it will be worth it! :cheers:

Last night was spent fitting the rear suspension. Allot less faffing about than the front but still tricky by yourself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47224[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47225[/ATTACH]

New top mounts went on with these... even though the old ones didn't look to bad to be honest, but better i change them now i reckon. The same however couldn't be said for my rear oem suspension that came off...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47226[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47227[/ATTACH]

Thats right... thats the spring in bits... It just fell apart! I can't believe this wasn't picked up in the last MOT i had, it must have been coming along for a long time. :scratch:

Dunno, wasn't that long ago I had someone look at it. Maybe a year, and they didn't say anything about it being this bad... Oh well! It's out now! nothing but scrap metal!

Got bored at work and decided to check out what this ASD box will do to me gear ratio...

This is my box now

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47229[/ATTACH]

And this is the ASD Box

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47230[/ATTACH]

Should have a VERY health top speed after this! :cheers:

I doubt it, if you look at the first graph the gearbox is geared to allow the peak engine power at roughly 120-130mph road speed, with the ASD box you may find to reach maximum speed you need to be in 4th! 5th will be more of an 'overdrive', quiet and economical but best for lazy flat-ish road cruising.

I doubt it, if you look at the first graph the gearbox is geared to allow the peak engine power at roughly 120-130mph road speed, with the ASD box you may find to reach maximum speed you need to be in 4th! 5th will be more of an 'overdrive', quiet and economical but best for lazy flat-ish road cruising.

don't worry david! I'm not expecting 220mph!!! lol

I may well get up too 150+ though in a straight and when I've got my g60 working better is time to up the power. Then we might get a little more out of her!

True and the same can be said for overtaking, but you can always drop a cog or two and in the current climate and overdrive style fifth is very desirable. Throw in the way a G60 engine likes to build huge heat at sustained motorway speeds due to engine revs on the stock gearbox and the longer legged mk 3 diesel items are a good modification (and you can clear 60mph in 2nd)

Alex you need to remember that springs and under a lot of force hence the big failure with quite a bit of material not corroded on the springs.

get yourself one of these...

Hmm nice... Didn't need it in the end though as the day was nice and dry. However, misfortune struck in other ways, will update thread tomorrow thou as I'm knackered...