Just to let you all know how I got on.

Saturday just gone i got a shot of the compressor. Gritting went well but as many mentioned, It would have taken me an age to do the panel I had. The grit media was quite soft and the gun didn't have a large area of effect.

Collecting the grit wasn't a problem in the end, Just stuck the bit I was blasting in a clear plastic bag

:thumbleft:

The compressor was good enough to get it going though and for things like calipers or something small I'd say it was a good buy for £15

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45836[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45837[/ATTACH]

However, this panel is going to need more than just a little light tickle of grit.

yeah well it works so thats good, try phoning up some local blacksmiths they will have blasting equipment.

I found out that the chaps i'm going to get to galvanize the parts actually do grit blasting.... :lol:

I'm an idiot!

Finished the car!!

well... not my car! I've been helping my pal on and off for 2 months now with his oak green mk2 golf (16v gti)

Went in for it's MOT today and we'll find out if it's passed tonight. I hope it is! This bumming car has monopolized my time for too long! :lol: would be nice to fix my OWN car at some point.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45883[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45884[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45885[/ATTACH]

EDIT: It didn't pass... I should have expected as much with me conducting the work but hey ho!

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

Interior is looking good mate, nice bit of work has gone into this one :D

Hello all!

Been quite productive the last few days I suppose :smug:

First off I made a sandwich

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45973[/ATTACH]

Chicken, cirozo, peperoni, hummus, cheddar cheese, lettice and peri peri sauce... FOR THE WIN! :thumbleft:

Then I went about fixing my door card.

With a little fiberglass I just applied it to the card backing and built up the layers a few at a time. from this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45974[/ATTACH] to this [ATTACH=CONFIG]45975[/ATTACH] to this [ATTACH=CONFIG]45976[/ATTACH]

Doesn't look pretty but it is ALLOT stronger and will stop the card from getting any worse. It will also help i hope with my loose fitting door handle.

Next here is an image of the sun i took on my iphone...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45977[/ATTACH] pretty isn't it. :o

Next job was to get the bumper cleaned up. I took it over to my mates garage and got the bumper iron off the plastic but it still needs a VERY good clean, re-weld and then sand blasting. Don't have any pictures of that so here is a picture of some ladies with loose morals...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45978[/ATTACH]

Another you say??? oh go on then...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45982[/ATTACH]

Nice...:afro:

Finally, for those who have been reading the thread form earlier in the year you may remember that I got a very cheep sun roof from a chap in Aberdeen but he didn't know if it works or not.

Well, the proof is in the pudding! Got a battery and some wire and tested her last night.

closed [ATTACH=CONFIG]45979[/ATTACH]

tilt[ATTACH=CONFIG]45980[/ATTACH]

slide [ATTACH=CONFIG]45981[/ATTACH]

Not bad for less than £10!!! :dance:

And wait!!! One last thing, for those who care I got some custom centre caps made up for my wheels!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45983[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45984[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]45985[/ATTACH]

gel overlays used on modern car badges (like Ford bonnet badges). Look the buisness and totally unique!

Ciao for now!

xx

Quality random updateyness.

Which is nice given I have spent the morning staring at the wiring diagrams working out how to plumb in my new alarm and get all the bits to work!

Although it will be an easy install given the lack of carpet, underlay, interior trim, dashboard etc that is currently in the car....

Just trying to work out how to get the full closure to work and then hopefully get the sidelight to stay on for a while after locking like all the new cars do.

Badges are good, liking the colour matching - you will need to get the same red on the car now! :)

Quality random updateyness.

Which is nice given I have spent the morning staring at the wiring diagrams working out how to plumb in my new alarm and get all the bits to work!

Although it will be an easy install given the lack of carpet, underlay, interior trim, dashboard etc that is currently in the car....

Just trying to work out how to get the full closure to work and then hopefully get the sidelight to stay on for a while after locking like all the new cars do.

Badges are good, liking the colour matching - you will need to get the same red on the car now! :)

wish i could help yan, those wiring diagrams scare the be-jebus out off me... Good luck with getting all that in! Definitely easier with the interior out and you can do what the auto electricians never do... A good job!

as for getting red in the car somewhere.... I used to be really tempted to get red trim here and there... but I eventually decided on getting her re-sprayed in black magic so I might just leave her standard on the outside, the inside internal trim is going grey and red suede/leather and the under bonnet is going black and purple... to match the Kw's im getting. Like sexy purple undies...

lovin those centre caps mate . never really liked the compo ones on the wheels we bought .

Edited by robrado974

Got down to preparing my centre caps for their big destiny with my new overlays this evening.

I'll spare you the nitty gritty and just give you the pictures...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45996[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]45997[/ATTACH] before

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45998[/ATTACH] hub cap separates from the bolt cover. This doesn't need to get sprayed as it will be hidden by the overlay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45999[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]46000[/ATTACH] rubbed down

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46001[/ATTACH] primed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46002[/ATTACH] and sprayed... This is done in reflex silver to match the colour I'm doing my alloys in. Still needs to be rubbed down and given a few coats of lacquer but i'm quite happy with the way it's turning out. Left the overlays at work though so can't fit them tonight and i can't find my wet and dry either to rub down to a high finish... :(

I did get some help from a friend of mine though...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46003[/ATTACH]

NO WAIT!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46004[/ATTACH]

despite the ferret i managed to wrestle one of the caps off her and brought it to work this morning.

And the results...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46013[/ATTACH]

I'm missing a centre cap though so if anyone knows where i can buy one please let me know!

If people wont to help out with part numbers then please do so. In the next week or so i'm gunna go to the stealer's and order a few bits and bobs.

1. sunroof grease - G 000 450 02
  2. Sunroof gassket - 321877209A
  3. Internal trim screws - N 902 412 03
  4. door card screws - N 90157501
  5. heater matrix -1H2819031A
  6. front suspension mounts -
  7. Non stretch crank bolt - N 040 106 4 (VAG) & Washer - 068 105 193 A (VAG)
  8. suspension bolt - N 10174002 & Nut - N 90323704
  9. Fueltank straps - 1H0201654C
  10. Retaining clip for tank straps - 191201661
  11. 6 x tank strap bolts- N 01024222

Finished! :cheers:

Total cost was about £12 + some left over spray paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46028[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46029[/ATTACH]

and then went for a walk...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46030[/ATTACH]

Been improving my head light wiring loom last night.

Kurly did a great job on the loom and did allot of extra stuff for nothing so top marks to him for sorting this out for me! :thumbleft:

There was a few horror stories I heard however that made me want to water proof the loom I have, making it a little more reliable hopefully!

Here is how it used to look

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46182[/ATTACH]

Very good job considering the price but some niggling little details to work out to make me happy with it. First, the relays where in a IP65 rated enclosure I provided Kurly but the fuses where still left outside the box. Ideally I would have liked to have them in the same box but trying to rearrange the wiring now would require allot of work so i got a new small box for the fuses.

Also, noticed a little movement in the cables coming from the base of the box and decided to fit a grommet to stop chafing and splashing water. So from this....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46183[/ATTACH] to this [ATTACH=CONFIG]46184[/ATTACH]

Was a bugger to fit and had to cut it to get it over the existing wiring but i think it was worth the effort.:geek:

Next the fuses.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46185[/ATTACH] new box... not IP rated but better than nothing.

and again, all cables got grommets[ATTACH=CONFIG]46186[/ATTACH]

Also the fuse lid got a strip of self adhesive foam to stop the fuses moving around too much

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46188[/ATTACH]

Then to finish off the enclosure got a coat of paint to make it less conspicuous...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46189[/ATTACH]

And that's it... I wish i could do more important things like fitting new suspension but with my sisters wedding and my other car needing fixing The C, as always will have to take a back seat.

pencil.png

Decided to rip the front of my car off... didn't spend long on it and came to the conclusion that I don't have the proper tools to be doing these things on my drive...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46467[/ATTACH]

First I had to rip off the drivers side light as the centre screw had seized and rounded off...

Then i loosed the slam panel and tried to get the frount bumper off.... no joy. Of the four 18mm bolts that go through the front cross member 2 where rounded off and my Irwin bolt removers are not a complete set so i don't have the correct size to remove them as of yet.

So with the bumper not coming off i tried to remove the skirt so I could repair it... It seems it's more than just cracked however, the damage goes as far as bending the fixings off the plastic. :(

So I'm stuck until i can get the bumper off. This is all to try and remove the radiator... it desperately needs replacing.

Bought the following parts today.

sunroof grease - G 000 450 02

Non stretch crank bolt - N 040 106 4 (VAG) & Washer - 068 105 193 A (VAG)

Fueltank straps - 1H0201654C

Retaining clip for tank straps - 1912016616 x tank strap bolts- N 01024222

and a ava radiator... maybe cheep comparison to a VW one but I can afford little else

I also need to get a few replacement bolts for the front and rear bumpers but they can wait.

Howdy folks,

Nice weather this weekend so I decided to take the time to remove the front of the car.

There seems to be alot more wrong than I first envisaged... :(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46550[/ATTACH] started by removing the head lights and the fogs. The screws that hold the glass fogs in are fudged and so was the drives side head light centre screw so it took a while to get to the picture above. Ended putting a screw driver through the back of the drivers side head light in order to get it off... :rolleyes: I've got a spare though so its all good! :)

Anywho, next came the bumper revealing the problems that i already knew about.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46552[/ATTACH]

The pas pipes and and the radiator support panel are monkeyed, will need replacements.

I have a spare power steering rack but the rad panel I have is from a early 16v. I think it will fit on to my front cross member but I don't think it has the holes for the pas pipes to fit through so I'll have to drill a few holes but that's no big deal. So long as the radiator and stuff fit I'm happy! (advice would be welcome!)

Anywho, I carried on removing things....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46553[/ATTACH]

The radiator is leaking badly so i'm getting a pattern replacement. I was going to buy a brand new one from VW classic parts but at £260 ish I could buy 2 pattern replacements for £100 each and still have money to spare! So who cares if it only lasts half as long! I'll get something sorted when it does!

Regardless of the new radiator though I thought i had already diagnosed the reason for the radiator fan not working

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46554[/ATTACH] very bad corroded connections. But in the process of removing the rad I saw something rather shocking...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46555[/ATTACH]

It's difficult to see from this photo but i've highlighted the problem in a red circle. The fan is touching the fan cover preventing it from turning, after removing the radiator i find that this is because the fan cove has been bent, as if it's been pulled towards the fan at some point. Now... the fan worked when I first got the car and apart from this weekend the only time the radiator has been out was when my subframe collapsed and i had it fixed by my local garage. SOoo.. either it was damaged when the subframe broke and was never spotted OR they damaged it when removing the engine to repair the subframe. Either way, I'm not particularly chuffed.

And to top it off when jacking up the car i noticed that the engine moved quite a bit... And here's why!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46556[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46558[/ATTACH]

That's the front engine mount. :bonk:

OH WELL! onwards and up wards!

Christ... that's a LOT of rust!

The PG and KR/9A radiator support crossmembers have different part numbers so quite likely they'll be different :(

They're not THAT different. They have different suffix letters to denote trim level, and I seem to have had most of them in my hunt for the right one for a Corrado!

The mk2 ones will be the same as yours Alex, as we're both early Raddo boyz. Here's a spare one I have, it's not PAS (so you'd need to cut the cooler pipe holes and mount it) but I'll let you have it super cheap!

mk2golfnonpasradsupport.jpg

mk2golfnonpasradsupport.jpg

Apart from the extra apron section and the 2 square holes for the PAS cooler bar, I think they're the same part.

Christ... that's a LOT of rust!

The PG and KR/9A radiator support cross members have different part numbers so quite likely they'll be different :(

rust is very bad on that panel but the front cross member and the rest of the car look ok tbh

Yeah, they do but they are very similar looking. Was interested to see what the differences were on early models. If It's just a few holes then i could live with that! I know the g60 rad is a very particular size for the g60 so it could be the same for the rad support panel... But if i can make it fit then that would be ace! I think the thing to do is to lift the Engine up and get the panel out and compare it to the one I have... See the differences.

The mk2 ones will be the same as yours Alex, as we're both early Raddo boyz. Here's a spare one I have, it's not PAS (so you'd need to cut the cooler pipe holes and mount it) but I'll let you have it super cheap!

Apart from the extra apron section and the 2 square holes for the PAS cooler bar, I think they're the same part.

You might be right there... The apron bit is what worries me the most though boost. I need that to fit the spliter too! I'll keep your kind offer in mind though, If the 16v one i have in the shed doesn't fit I may well be in touch! :) Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

Blimey, Alex- good job you're sorting it now, before it totally falls apart! Will be so satisfying once it's all finished though ;)

Blimey, Alex- good job you're sorting it now, before it totally falls apart! Will be so satisfying once it's all finished though ;)

Indeed! funny to think that if this had been found on the cills or something important it might well have written off the car! but as it happens all the rust seems to be just on this panel! :D