G-Lad

VR6 Blue temp sensor - removal and fitting?

I've just been to buy one to fit, as suggested by my garage (C&R Enterprises).

Part no 025 906 041 A

Does it just push in? It has no thread or clips visible... I thought I'd better ask before ripping things to bits and disabling the car!!

It didn't come with any kind of retainer or seal or anything, but I understand from a search that I need an O-ring N 903 168 02 as well

Any advice on removal of the old blue sensor and o-ring?

Ok, water temp sensors are all a push fit into the front of the thermostat housing. You'll need to wait until the car is cold, remove the retaining clip, pullout the old sensor and stuff a rag in the hole to stop losing as much coolant as possible. Note- if the old O-ring doesn't come out attached to the sensor then a little fiddling to get it out may be required. Then put new O-ring on new sensor, remove rag and quickly re-insert new sensor/O-ring combo, replace retaining clip, top up coolant with appropriate mix of G12++ and water.

All in it should take about 5 mins, maybe less. Remove the plastic top fan cover to give yourself a bit of extra room.

Let us know how you get on.

Cold engine (leave it overnight!) and remove exp tank cap

Use pliers if you can't just twist and pull it, use a new O ring and clip

Part Number for the wee clip is 032121142

If you search eBay for 025 906 041 A (the PN of the Sensor) you'll find kits with all three items from £7 to £22 in price.

Top tip. Dont drop it, it will go somewhere totally inaccessible!Tie a piece of cotton around it before you try to extract/re-insert it.

RB

Thanks for the top tip ;)

changed mine over today - took longer to get access to it. As i have aircon the pipes were also restricting space. I removed the cable support bracket too which routes in front of the sensors. This had a 10mm hex head and a 5mm allen screw, although on hindsight i realised the allen screw did not need to be removed!

As above take the clip out of the top, gradually wiggle the sensor out with one hand keeping the other ready in the other hand. As you remove the old sensor quickly refit the new one. The vacuum in the system will prevent coolant just flooding out, you will lose maybe 100ml tops of coolant.

Refill as necessary, start and check for leaks. Haven't driven mine again as yet so dont know if its sorted the long cranking when warm..

I remember doing mine , I left an '0' ring in by mistake. A mile up the road , the temp light is flashing it blew the sensor out of the block ! . Lesson learned.