Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

GTR Test drive [Now with pics on page 8]

I just had a test drive in a GTR this friday past, and f00k me, bejesus that thing is a beast of a machine!!!!!!! Supple enough in comfort setting around town, and to be honest, we went on a b-road with the shockers set to Race mode and even then it didnt get upset, I hit 120mph a couple of times without realising it, and even over the bad road surfaces, it simply just does not lose any traction! This thing just piles on the speed!

The gear changes on this thing, man you have to experience it to understand the slickness, the smoothnes, the speed of the changes, upshift, downshift, whatever, you dont feel a thing and its instant (near enough).

You pootle around town at speeds of 35mph and its in 6th gear, plant the foot anad woohoo, it shifts down a few gears and the fun starts! And 34mph, in 6th gear, its perfectly sensible and quiet.

The grip on this thing is phenomenal and the steering, man alive, its so direct, 2.6 lock to lock, everything in this car is just so tight!!! Obviously I didnt take it to any sort of limit so i cant really comment on understeer/oversteer but even at decent speeds around the back roads, the car is just so easy to drive with soooooo much more to give. I thought it would be all electronical and just numb but its not the case, even in comfort mode (which did surprise me) there is enough feedback, put it in race mode and theres a whole lotta feedback, it feels mechanical, it feels real, it feels small, it feels like a toy!

Make no mistakes about it, this car is big, its huge, it absolutely dwarfs the corrado, but the funny thing is it doesnt feel big at all. It feels small, it feels light, now obviously I didnt go around chucking it like I would my corrado so I cant compare exactly but we all know the front end of the VR6 is heavy and its obvious when compared to the G60, this just doesnt feel heavy at all!

And the brakes, even with them cold are amazing, with good feedback also. I dont think I have ever been this excited about a car since when I was going to buy my corrado!

Nothing but praise for it!

So when are you going to get one?

I really like the look of them, they're not trying to be European, or American. It's just so Japanese and all the better for it.

I'd love to have a go.

they're f*cking massive too! there were 2 at castle combe a week ago and they look at least as big as bentley continentals!

20" wheels, brake calipers look like they'd tear the disc off the hub if you tried and overall just a huge car to be able to throw around as quickly as they can be.

So when are you going to get one?

Not too long from now :D

And yeh, they really are a lot of fun. I think to extract the most out of them, need to go tracking at least...

I'm not sure if I should hate your become your best friend :D :norty:

Not jealous at all though... much... :D

You lucky man Mr Forinor :D

It seems Nissan are under specifying the GTR's horsepower! Each engine is hand made and bench tested to deliver a guaranteed 478hp, but the Americans have been dynoing several standard GTRs and they are averaging 550hp!

Interesting article in this month's Evo. GTR versus Veyron! Quite a pointless and unfair comparison you might think, but it made for interesting reading. Obviously in the straights the Veyron pummeled the GTR into the ground, but on challenging Welsh back roads, the Vey had no answer, it just couldn't reel in the GTR at all. Impressive stuff!

Here is me at everyman driving, its a awesome car for the money and the gearbox is immense you dont loose any forward momentum.

It seems Nissan are under specifying the GTR's horsepower! Each engine is hand made and bench tested to deliver a guaranteed 478hp, but the Americans have been dynoing several standard GTRs and they are averaging 550hp!

Its funny you say that Kev cos the minimum I have seen it quoted is at 515bhp.

I put a £3,500 deposit last May , and my initial arrival date was Sept 2009, then for some reason it got pushed to Summer 2010. Then recently I found out the date was 25th Sept, BUT, because I am not working at the moment, I asked them to push it back to Summer 2010 (you can imagine my dissapointment).

I have ordered the Black Edition, (black paint, black wheels, black and red leather, touchscreen satnav - £57,400). I was going over the options with the HPC and for rear parking sensors (which ok, I wouldnt usually agree with, but have you seen the size of the a$$ on that thing :eek: ) its £350, for front parking sensors another £350. For daytime running lights, £1k :eek: :eek: (which I'm not going for, I dont think they are worth £1k, not for me anyway), I did however opt for the tracker, £1k which includes the first year subscription.

And yeh, it doesnt lose any forward momentum at all. Hehe, when I got in the car, the salesman said "you want Auto or Paddleshift", now in my head am thinking "erm, I'm gonna need all my concentration on the road with the speed that this thing flies with", that'll be auto thank you :p

Fair one.

If you dont mind me asking, What do you do when you do work? Rob banks? You look like a terrorist in you avatar.... hmmm, they always seem to have lots of money..

He dishes out pain for a living :lol:

It seems like a huge amount of money to spend on a car when youre out of work Dr, especially buying a new car which will depreciate hugely, but Im sure you know what you're doing! It sounds like an absolute stunner in black :salute:

ziderapple: I'm a dentist mate

Walesy: I'm waiting for a surgery to be up and ready which I will start working in, so its not that I have no job, I'm just in between jobs. But the thing is, when I placed my deposit, I did not see this period of unemployment, hence me pushing it further from this Sept to next year, and cheers :)

Aye tis a shame that its working out the way that it is, I just have to wait longer to get the car, should still be grateful though eh hehe

At the moment I'm just like "nah, I'm not getting it, there was no deposit", makes the wait a whole lot easier if I just try and forget the car, and thats easier said than done ....

Some of us will remember Dr Forinor when he was a student. Well done, man!

Yep, join the tooth fairies, "stick in" at college and there's no stopping you!

Some of us will remember Dr Forinor when he was a student. Well done, man!

Yep, join the tooth fairies, "stick in" at college and there's no stopping you!

Thanks a lot mate :) :grin:

Hey Dr, when you pick up that GTR, get your arse over to St Andrews and give me a whirl 8)

Hey Dr, when you pick up that GTR, get your arse over to St Andrews and give me a whirl 8)

Ooohh, St Andrews eh, nice one, I'm surprised we didnt already organise to meet up...

A guy took me out in his GTR, pushing around 570-ish bhp around some back roads where he lives in Banchory.

FOOK ME that thing is a lethal machine!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm sure some cars might be able to keep up in a straight lines cos of the mods etc, but around the bends, no chance!!!

He said he test drove an R8 and the Gallardo before test driving this and went for this over those 2 cos of how much quicker it was. He was taking some bends at jsut silly speeds and the car just hangs on for dear life! It's totally mind boggling how the hell it does it!!

Pick mine up the 25th of May 8)