Sign in to follow this  
2.9andy

Vr6 6 speed 02S Possible?

Ive bought myself an 02S from a mk5 Golf Fsi to try and fit it to the Vr, but before i pull it all apart and render everything useless....does anyone know whether the VR 02A bellhousing will fit the 02S box? And if it does, will there be anything there that can drive the VR speedo?

I should have asked before i bought it....but im impatient!

I've had this discussion with Vince at Stealth Racing before and apparently 4 cylinder gearboxes won't fit 6 cylinder engines, and vice versa. I was querying using a 4 cylinder O2m from a very late TDI or Audi TT but it won't fit the VR6 bell housing apparently. I assume the same of the MK5 O2S.

BUT..... I didn't ask whether it's possible to take the gearset and end plate out of the O2S and pop it in the VR6 02A's housing. That might work?

Nice plan though, let me know what you come up with!

Someone really needs to work out how to do this conversion and cheaply!

Wish i had the engineering skills, but unfortunately I do not :(

You just need someone with a VR engine on a bench, plus an 02A and 02S and figure it all out :D

I dont even have the bench :lol:

Well i'll let you all know in a couple of weeks, ive bought the thing now so i might as well try and get it to fit! I realise the 4cyl and 6cyl bellhousing patterns are different, thats why i wanted to split both boxes and use the complete bellhousing from the vr6, that way it also gives me the speedo drive part as well, but whether there is anything to drive it off the 02s diff is another matter. The shifter is also designed to be bolted to a flat floor unlike the corrado one that sits up under the tunnel, so that will need a bit of fabricating to fit as well, hopefully it will sit under the tunnel ok.

If it will work i'll be happy. Im fed up with the tall gearing on the vr box, and sticking in a knackered old 16v box seems a bit daft. I paid £260 for this box with the shifter and cables and its very low mileage....should feel like new if it goes in! 6 nice short gears and a light flywheel....mmm

If it all goes pear shaped...anyone got a cheap 16v 02a? Im near colchester in Essex

If it will work i'll be happy. Im fed up with the tall gearing on the vr box,

I put a G60 final drive (3.68) in my VR box to get round that. One of the best mods I did.

Good luck with the O2S! I live just outside Colchester aswell so I'll be round to see you if it works :D

Thats an interesting link, definately looks like an older bellhousing of some kind on that box, shame there isnt any more info.

Well ive just pulled the corrado into the workshop this eve, so i'll be starting to pull it apart now and see what happens

Your welcome to pop round if it works Kev, didnt realise you were so local to me!

Well ive had a day on the car today and got the gearbox out.....and this is what it looks like now:

gearboxparts1.jpg

gearboxcasing1.jpg

Got to admit, in my ignorance of pulling apart gearboxes, i had hoped that i could leave all the shafts and gears in the main casing and just take the bellhousing off. Not so! There is a plate bolted to the bellhousing from the inside of the box so it has to come apart completely. You have to first remove the other end and remove fifth gear, then various other bits and bobs before you can lift the casing off leaving the bellhousing with all the shafts, then pull all that off to lave the bellhousing free for the 02S, and same again for that.

I havent stripped the 02S yet, but things are looking very promising. The 02S has an 02J style diff with bolt in flanges, basically im hoping that vw have left the machined bit of shaft behind the diff bearing to sit the nylon speedo drive gear on (see the 02A one in the pic above) Failing that, i'll have to fit the 02A diff and output shafts but that means swapping the crownwheel and that has huge rivets that will have to be replaced with bolts. Talking of the output shafts....the 02S ones are the same type and size as the VR6 ones.

The other thing is, if you already have a selector and cables in good condition, the selector shaft that bolts into the box can be just swapped over for the corrado one making things really easy. My shifter both box end and gearlever is pretty worn so im probably going to swap it all over anyway.

Next update probably after the weekend. I ought to do some work this week!

A quick update for you...

The gearbox is built and bolted up to the engine complete with speedo drive, and the shifter is mounted as well. Ive got 101 other things to do while its apart so i have yet to see what it goes like. Maybe the end of this weekend?!

So basically yes it is possible but its not particularly straightfoward, a lot more awkward than i was expecting. I'll do a proper write up on what was needed in a while, and hopefully a bit of feedback on what it drives like

Another quick update at last.

Ive driven it! Took it for its MOT yesterday morning. Well it drives brilliantly, ratios seem absolutely spot on, im glad i didnt go for the higher ratio version of the box now. Every change 'sounds' spot on, you know when its just right and hits the sweet spot of torque in the next gear! No nasty noises luckily :grin: The best bit is the shift quality, ive left it standard throw and just filled the squidgy cable ends with a bit of polyurethane. I know my original shifter was knackered but this one seems so refined!

I dont know whether its just psychological, but there seems to be a lot of traction now. Ive read the preload on the 02j diff equates to around a 10% lock so i suppose it must make some difference

Also just bolted on a german ebay buy....weitec tx+ coilovers. First impressions are brilliant, i nkow they are on full soft at the mo but the ride is very nearly as comfy as standard which is saying something!

Proper write up to follow with some pics when ive got a bit more time. Had a few more problems when i finished putting it back together, mainly based around the new shifter and shift tower on the box, they hit bloomin everything! I think i was talking utter rubbish about the 02a shift tower fitting as its a different design inside the box. I wish i had tried it now while i was building it, but im afraid im not too inclined to pull it apart again now. I know how much i hated the old one so the new stuff was going to fit no matter what!

Excellent news!

Looking forward to the pics!

Did the gears in the 02S look any smaller or larger than the 02A ones? Just wondering about it's torque handling for turbo use as they didn't fit the 02S to any of the powerful cars.

Also just bolted on a german ebay buy....weitec tx+ coilovers. First impressions are brilliant, i nkow they are on full soft at the mo but the ride is very nearly as comfy as standard which is saying something!

Do you mind me asking how much they were? (Assuming they were new)

Im afraid structually the box is the same as an 02a so similar power handling capabilities. Ok for me as i dont plan forced induction, but not so great for you i suppose! The shafts in the box are supported by another pair of needle rollers in the end casing outside of 6th, whether that would have any effect on flex of the shafts further back in the box im not sure. Would the teeth break just from sheer loadings or would it be the shafts flexing first causing loads on the wrong part of the teeth?

As for the coilvers, they were second hand im afraid...look almost new though. I was looking at new ultra gt kits on there first but you really dont save much now, they have gone up massively in price. Saw these ones and thought why not!

Another update...

The corrado has just done not far short of a thousand miles to and around the lake district last week, and it was bloody brilliant! The box is just what i hoped for, ideal for the technical roads through yorkshire and cumbria...it really has livened up the character of the car. In 6th on the main roads, 3.5k revs is just over 80, not exactly ticking over but it felt fine and the economy wasnt too bad.

I cant believe how good these weitec coilovers are as well. They are some seriously rough roads around there and it was always composed. Impressed!

I will get around to doing this write up soon, i must get the photos off the computer at work

...it really has livened up the character of the car. In 6th on the main roads, 3.5k revs is just over 80, not exactly ticking over but it felt fine and the economy wasnt too bad.

Yeah that's what you get when fitting the 3.68 final drive into the VR6 02A too and you're right, shorter gearing does definitely liven up the car. I was hoping 6th would be taller than that though, so I think I'll give this a miss. Great mod for others though!

What's the rpm drop from 1st to 2nd like? On the standard gearing it's bloody awful!!

Yeah that's what you get when fitting the 3.68 final drive into the VR6 02A too and you're right, shorter gearing does definitely liven up the car. I was hoping 6th would be taller than that though, so I think I'll give this a miss. Great mod for others though!

I'd imagine that the smaller rolling diameter of the wheels on the Corrado had a lot to do with that :(

[EDIT]What was the gearbox code for he 02S? Was it a GQL or GXV, as they have the highest final drive at 3.94.

do you have a photo of the 6speed box BEFORE you stripped it apart? May be interested in fitting one to my G60, seeing as it used to have VR6 gears in it anyway, this could be the answer to all my gearing issues... :)

Also, you mention that the O2S box hasn't got the speedo take-off point? How does it drive the speedo then, and do you think (having dismantled one) that it's modifiable (is that even a real word?!?) to make it drive a standard G60 (same setup as VR6) speedo?

Great idea trying it on a VR6 though... Gearboxes have always scared me, but I think I may end up doing my own this time around... 8)