big ben

Big Ben's VRT

yep, wilkinsons for the draws, cost about £20 for 2, then B&Q for the shelves, about £18 or something... you can get both of them at places like argos to

better than giving your car a good once over

i agree mate, love getting it nice and clean, but love getting it dirty to :D

where did you get the cg bucket

here mate, http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/category_s/1.htm i love chemical guys stuff as you can tell!! i use 2 bucket method yeah, but only 1 with a grit guard at the minute... would the surfex degreaser get that tar off the wheels then??

think a pressure washer with some snow foam might have to be a future purchase

foam is awesome, and good fun to, would definately recommend... plus it makes you get the pressure washer out so you do the wheels and arches better than you would normally as i was too lazy to get it out sometimes

Really could not have gone to a nicer home. :clap:

I gather you fk1000p the Brembos for the winter too? LOL

Are you still pondering on changing the wheel colour mate, I still maintain they look great, suit the car when clean and the sun hits them.

cheers Marcus, i will look after it dont you worry!! and i didnt to the brembos actually, i will do them tomorrow as im off work because autoglass are coming out...

and yeah im on about keeping the colour of the wheels, theygo to well to change them like you say 8)

i foind the surfex hd is good at getting most things off, literally spray it on agitate it with a brush or cloth and then rinse off, worth a try.. tho the clay bar should remove the tarr..

im a big fan of cg stuff too and have a simliar collection to youors, though ive just bought the jetseal 109 and am looking forward to using it, wasnt cheap tho!

deffinately get yourself another gritguard, can be expensive but so much cheaper then scrathing the paint with stones and debris lodged in the cleaning mitt..

really love the colour of the wheels..

Well today I have had the Autoglass man out and not good news, some rust underneath the windscreen, so it will have to come out again next year and be done at the body shop. Its not that bad really but has got to be done…

that’s better

windscreen.jpg

anyway, today I received some bits in the post to get rid of some of the swirls in the paintwork. Decided just to do a bit on the bonnet as I cant wait to get stuck in!!

Quick detailer wipe down

step1.jpg

Clay bar, not a lot come off it actually

step2.jpg

This is what I was left with

swirl3.jpg

Now the fun bit, the MAC and new hex logic pads, me like!!

step3.jpg

After starting with the white pad and super resin polish, buffed off

step4.jpg

This was the result of the first pass

step5.jpg

The second pass

step6.jpg

Changed pad for more cut

step7.jpg

After 1 pass

step8.jpg

After second pass

step9.jpg

Was a lot better but thought I would try my new polish on white pad again

step10.jpg

So after 1 pass

step11.jpg

And again changed to the green pad

step12.jpg

After the final pass and wipe down

step13.jpg

As you could see a put a bit of tape there for comparison, here is the result, the top part is where I was working obviously

step14.jpg

Not the best results but a lot better. Need to get some better cutting polish and maybe an extra cutting pad for the deeper scratches…

ben have you tried the menzerna polishes they are top notch

autoglym super resin polish only fills the scratches it does not get rid of them

but looking good :D so far

autoglym super resin polish only fills the scratches it does not get rid of them

not tried them yet mate, think thats what i will buy though. And the SRP is ok at correcting paintwork, i have been reading a lot about how under rated it is so thought i would give it a shot!!

not tried them yet mate, think thats what i will buy though. And the SRP is ok at correcting paintwork, i have been reading a lot about how under rated it is so thought i would give it a shot!!

Agreed SRP is very underated imo, it's my fav polish. Even after using the Menzerna polishes on a machine I will always give it a once over with the SRP to fill any left over swirls etc in.

What wax did you use after?

didnt put any wax on. Will be putting 2 layers of fk1000p at the wkend when i have done the whole car :grin:

as i was using only speeds 1 and 3 on the MAC (it has 9 speeds), i will up the speed and apparently i will get the finish im after with what i have already. So looking forward to giving it another go!! and like you say, i will give it a go over with the SRP still, after using the pro polish i have

keep it going ben there is a differance :clap: . I would like to get into valeting when I get out of the mob but wife keeps telling me I would probably lose money as I wouldn't know when to say thats it :epicfail:

hi mate just wondering were abouts you get that snow foam from am very interested and seems to have done a very good job on yours looking extremely clean btw 8)

keep it going ben there is a differance :clap: . I would like to get into valeting when I get out of the mob but wife keeps telling me I would probably lose money as I wouldn't know when to say thats it :epicfail:

it would be a good job, dont know about in the winter unless you have a heated unit to work in. And i would be exactly the same, i cant do a quick clean :lol:

Top Job Ben! Will have to have a good look if you're over at the Nomads meet Sunday...

Mine could do with a damn good polishing session too! (hint :norty: )

hi mate just wondering were abouts you get that snow foam from am very interested and seems to have done a very good job on yours looking extremely clean btw 8)

i use this karcher pressure washer

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... ARCHER.htm

the snow lance is this

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... d_371.html

snow foam is this

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/S ... _5L_1.html

if you look at the picture i have with the snow lance, there is 2 bits of tape on it, i fill to the top of the first bit with snow foam and then up to the 2nd bit of tape with turtle waz shampoo to bulk it out (it was £3 for 5 litres at asda)

it is very good foam though and you dont really need the shampoo to be fair.

Top Job Ben! Will have to have a good look if you're over at the Nomads meet Sunday...

Mine could do with a damn good polishing session too! (hint :norty: )

:lol:

not sure if im going to be there yet though mate, will see nearer the time!!

just a quick update, nothing special, just had a race a couple days ago with one of these;

merc.JPG[/attachment:354kenj1]

the guy was on his own and i had the mrs and her brother, and this thing could barely pull away :grin:

so i obviously come home and googled them, the 2006 Merc CLS55 AMG is 470bhp :shock: i would of easily kept up if i was on my own to, so was pretty chuffed!! its the only car to pull away from me so far, and that was only slightly :)

He he, good skills :D It's fun giving the current batch of powerful cars a hard time!

The technical nerd in me feels compelled to point out the CLS55's 2 tonne mass though, giving it a power to weight ratio of 'only' 239hp/tonne :D

Assuming your car is 1300kg (VW's weight of 1210-1240kg is optimistic) then you only need 320hp to match it :D

Those figures obviously don't take driver / passenger mass into account. So assuming 150kg between you two boys and 60kg for your missus (using average weights), giving approx 1510kg total vechicle weight, you'd need 370hp to match it :D

So yeah, your engine seems to be on the money mate and good skills :D

What a geek I am :lol:

I did the same thing to an S5 once, only driver weight in both and I was toying with it. Wish I had a 6th gear though because that's where mine comes unstuck. Past 140 it's begging for more gearing. Probably a good thing tbh because it feels like it would smash past 170 easily and that's jail fodder!

Yeah, its good fun having a fight with £50k+ cars....I had a play with a SL Black the other week in Crawley, 500+hp, but he didn't pull away from me that much either. Though I have to say his looked effortless whilst my wheel was torque steering all over the place! They sound amazing on full chat, more like a prop-plane than a car.

edit - it was an SL, not a bargey CL!

I've driven and older SL55 which is about 2 tonnes aswell, and around town and pulling away etc, they are stupidly rapid..... but at motorway speeds, the slush box auto and it's weight do it no favours and it doesn't accelerate with anything like as much vigour. Bit like an R32, everything down low, not much past 4K :D

Not knocking a boosted VR6 of course. They can't beat everything. I got comprehensively wasted by a current shape 911 turbo :D

all good fun, and your maths seem spot on Kev :grin: and driving 170 on our roads just isnt realistic im sure you would agree, be good fun though!! i know what you mean about getting to 140ish and it slowing down a bit, be nice to pull hard all the way to 160 wouldnt it

bet that 911 was awesome, would like to of seen that little race!!

all good fun, and your maths seem spot on Kev :grin: and driving 170 on our roads just isnt realistic im sure you would agree, be good fun though!! i know what you mean about getting to 140ish and it slowing down a bit, be nice to pull hard all the way to 160 wouldnt it

bet that 911 was awesome, would like to of seen that little race!!

All of Kev's Testing is done on his own private roads and not the Queens Highways! Honest! :lol:

I was doing all the nerdy workings out the other night with my mate and it's quite surprising how little HP you need in such a lighter car to have similar power/weight as some of the real big boys.

Kev, your calculations are on crank bhp as well remember. That 470bhp would probs be more like 370bhp at the wheels on that thing being RWD and having HUGE wheels and brakes etc etc! So would be more like approximately 185bhp/tonne at the wheels. My rado for example, only 280bhp but it's still 240 at the wheels, so mine would work out to be (assuming its 1300kg) 184bhp/tonne at the wheels 8)

If going on your car being about 1500kg 3's up then you'd need about 275 WHEEL horsepower to keep with that thing, so yeah yours is on good power indeed!

sounds good to me!! dont get me wrong he did pull away a bit, but barely, he must of looked in his mirror and thought WTF? :lol: thats what having a corrado VRT is all about, cant beat it

Nice you see you using the power to show up a few bits of exotica there guys, can't wait to get mine back on the road in the new year now!

As for fast cars, had a drive out in a Bentley Continental GT Speed the other day (with the boss) and all I can say is it was exactly as good as I imagined a 6L twinturbo charged W12 602bhp and 750lb/ft of torque and 4WD car would be. Shame they're huge and not that handsome a car, any of you VRT boys come up against one yet?

Not sure people that buy Bentley's are really interested in racing us middle classes! :lol: