Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Not getting rid of the 'rado... Well OK I have!

I have no idea what car I'd want next! Bearing in mind the C won't last forever, and is only one shunt from a 4x4 away from being a write-off on any given day, I like to have in the back of my mind what I'd get next.

Bearing in mind my budget will be about 5k max, I'm stumped. It'd have to be a daily driver, so has to be fairly practical. Things I'm considering:

* Mk2 Golf GTI - had a 16v before the Corrado and loved it, just a case of finding a really good unmolested one that doesn't need loads of work

* Seat Leon Cupra/Cupra R - not impressed with Seat build quality at all, mate's had 2 Leons and they both had loads of problems

* Civic Type R (53/54 plate shape) - look good but not sure I could live with the VTEC. Ultra reliable though.

* Porsche 944 S2 - probably wouldn't find a decent one for 5k, been warned off them by a mechanic mate

* Peugeot 205 GTI - bet they're tons of fun, but the build quality is allegedly crap, and it's French!

* Fiat Coupe 20VT - ultra rapid, but a bit small, expensive to fix

* Alfa GTV V6 - again, it WILL go wrong and be expensive to keep on the road

* Another Corrado! Might try out a VR6, but not sure if it would excite me as much as the G60 I have now, and if I got another G60 I'd have to spend a fortune getting it as good as this one.

Obviously all cars have plus and minus points, but what else am I missing?

S3 yeah, but stay away from Phase 1 model 1999 - 2001 (early). Factory re-call on rear axle joint, also they weigh a tonne and the 210bhp can be a bit of a dog at times, all just IMO obviously :shrug: .

The later model with 225bhp is lighter and has the face lift chrome mirrors and rear lights.

Personally, if not a C, then I'd be all over a 1995/96 Audi S2 Coupe with low milage. Stunning car.

S3 yeah, but stay away from Phase 1 model 1999 - 2001 (early). Factory re-call on rear axle joint, also they weigh a tonne and the 210bhp can be a bit of a dog at times, all just IMO obviously :shrug: .

The later model with 225bhp is lighter and has the face lift chrome mirrors and rear lights.

Personally, if not a C, then I'd be all over a 1995/96 Audi S2 Coupe with low milage. Stunning car.

I deffo agree with this one, was it the S2 that was AWD and a 5 pot turbo roughly 240 hp? Looks beautiful, and a lot like a corrado to be fair (I mistook one for a C having just seen the top half).

Nice one guys! Yeah forgot about an S3, budget might stretch to that - Audi build quality, with plenty of speed, loads of boot space and the facelift ones look rather sexy.

Off to google to have a look at that S2 now :)

Nice one guys! Yeah forgot about an S3, budget might stretch to that - Audi build quality, with plenty of speed, loads of boot space and the facelift ones look rather sexy.

No chance of getting an S2 for 5k. I was looking at them as I think they are brill but they hold their price so well. With 5k I'd throw in the two Skodas, I own a Octavia VRS and its very practical, very reliable, and the dealers ( well Fish Brothers Swindon) are fantastic. With 500 pounds chip upgrade gives it some serious torque. Or the little Fabia VRS same quality but with the added advantage of MPG.

i run through this in my head most days, should i sell corrado, what would i get. the only answer i come up with is another corrado. Then i realise mine is just as good as what i would end up with on my budget.

i'd definatly run two cars, has worked out cheaper in the long run then using the corrado everyday. Even adding both cars together + expenses its less than most people i know running 1 car

No chance of getting an S2 for 5k. I was looking at them as I think they are brill but they hold their price so well. With 5k I'd throw in the two Skodas, I own a Octavia VRS and its very practical, very reliable, and the dealers ( well Fish Brothers Swindon) are fantastic. With 500 pounds chip upgrade gives it some serious torque. Or the little Fabia VRS same quality but with the added advantage of MPG.

if only they made a 3dr fabia, they would of sold so many more

if only they made a 3dr fabia, they would of sold so many more

Yep probably agree with that; although I think I would only go for the original one, new shape not that good :nono:

i dont think any of the cars above would satisfy you enough after owning a corrado. I would like a A3, but as a daily, then my corrado for weekends :wink:

I would just do what i have done... use to drive a VR daily, someone smashed into the back of me and wrote my car off, so i brought a better corrado, and a golf to drive daily so hopefully it wont happen again, finger crossed

I don't really have the space to keep another car really, we're a two car family already and I sometimes use the wife's Polo to buzz about to the shops, or if I'm going out of town and have to park somewhere dodgy ;)

Keeping *three* cars on the go would be a bit too much for my wallet to take!

Also for similar reasons, not too keen on a conversion etc. as I don't have the mechanical know-how to troubleshoot it myself and keep garage bills down.

I went from a Corrado Vr6 to an Audi TT 225 Coupe.

Not as practical as a corrado (useless rear seat and boot space), but faster and much more comfortable.

Handling is very good but can be improved with the addition of defcon front wishbone upgrade bushes.

30ie00l.jpg

Now if only i could get the damn oil pressure warning to stop going off all the time when the pressure is fine :mad2:

No chance of getting an S2 for 5k. I was looking at them as I think they are brill but they hold their price so well. With 5k I'd throw in the two Skodas, I own a Octavia VRS and its very practical, very reliable, and the dealers ( well Fish Brothers Swindon) are fantastic. With 500 pounds chip upgrade gives it some serious torque. Or the little Fabia VRS same quality but with the added advantage of MPG

For a very good straight one yeah, prob 5k be a little biddy low, or you could try and bargin the living sh!t out've this one!

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1176411.htm

I think attempt at above link might be... :epicfail:

Of that list I'd go for the FIAT Coupe 20V T.

Like a Corrado it has enough of a personality and depth of character to keep you both amused and occupied in the long term. Not to mention looks, rarity, performance & handling that elevate it way above the other cars in the list.

I certainly wouldn't spend more than a grand on a Pug 205. Once the initial excitement of a lightweight nimble french hatch wears off, you're left with the dreadfully tinny bodywork and ghastly interior to live with.

Another car to consider is perhaps a high mileage Audi S4, which is doable in your budget. Plenty of trouble free 100K+ biturbos out there.

Empty your head of potential problems. ALL cars have potential problems and none of them are insurmountable. Yeah the 20V T Coupe has it's engine out cambelt expense, but do some research and you'll find it's not as bad as it sounds and it's certainly no worse than a VR and it's chains or a G60 and it's fragile charger.

In terms of running costs a 3 litre GTV is about the same as a VR although the engine is probably stronger and an absolute peach to boot. I was in one on the trip to Le Mans this year and it wasn't far behind our mate's 996 GT3. So much creamy torque right to the red line.

I'd go 968 Sport, Z4 3.0 or S2000. I couldn't live with the looks of a Fiat Coupe :gag: and I'd place a well sorted G60 and its 'fragile' charger ahead of the Fiat's 20v T any day in the reliability stakes.

Weird, Im having naughty thoughts about Audi S4's and e46 M3's just now :wink:

e46 M3's = Chav Mobil!

Audi S4's = Understated exec power, but very bland.

Corrado wins!

Dare I say Skooby Doo.......... or early EVO both turbo practical, probably expensive to maintain but should bring a smile. Cossie or Williams Clio or 172 all fun and easy on the wallet. Alfa 156 V6 24V has the Corrado VR6 covered in speed and imo doesn't look to bad either

Nothing about an A4 really does it for me - bit too much of a motorway cruiser in looks at least, and practically, can't have anything longer than the 'rado as it won't fit on my drive with the wife's car!

I did briefly consider a Scooby, but the chav implications are just too strong, and they don't last, so the ones I'd be able to afford would be about to explode. Evo is a classier option but a bit too fussy, and a bit too shouty. Beemers have such negative connotations in my mind thanks to the stereotypical BMW driver I'd be cringing whenever I "forgot" to indicate on a roundabout etc!

Ooh, the people I used to bore with this sort of conversation, "the C is just so damned good but I will probably have to replace it. But with what?"

Two cars, as a solution, just sort of fell on me. And to ensure there were different experiences involved, I went soft top with a Honda S2000. Only really works with the hood down and the C is the wet weather car. So for the C, I bought some rear speakers to replace those that had perished and it all sort of 'reintroduced' me to the car. Since then, I have spent a silly fortune on sorting it out with paint jobs, wheel refurbs, ABS, windscreen, steering wheel, gear knob, handbrake, loads of deep cleaning and once again, I Really love it.

Two cars is definitely the way to go.

btw, I also considered the TT, but this would probably have been as a replacement...

I did briefly consider a Scooby, but the chav implications are just too strong, and they don't last, so the ones I'd be able to afford would be about to explode.

Can't really argue the chav comment too strongly but Subaru have a well deserved reputation for being ultra reliable. I spent a long time looking at various cars with a similar budget to yourself that offered a good mix of reliability and performance and eventually bought an '02 WRX with FSH and 50K on the clock, done 4K miles so far and there are no faults whatsoever with it, it drives perfectly and went through an MOT without so much as an advisory. For the most part the only ones you hear about with problems have been badly modified or poorly maintained. They're also not that chavvy with the small spoiler in standard form.

Insurance and petrol are the main costs, it will do about 30mpg when driven gently but that takes a lot of self control to achieve. Normal driving on a mix of a-roads, b-roads and motorways with the occasional blast will see low 20's.

Second choice was a late GTV V6 but I was eventually put off by the many tales of shocking reliability and awful dealers, also considered similar age e46 3-series and a4's but they were either a lot more money, had stratospheric mileage and with the exception of the S4 and M3, slower.

I do miss having a Corrado though :( Going to have to get a VR as a second car as soon as I've got the time and space

Thanks Steve, always good to hear first hand how some of these cars are like to live with. I'm sure I heard that Imprezas don't last much beyond 70k miles, but that could have just been "bloke down the pub" style wisdom. And that MPG isn't much less than I get out of the C to be honest - I average about 27mpg!

I couldn't live with the looks of a Fiat Coupe :gag: and I'd place a well sorted G60 and its 'fragile' charger ahead of the Fiat's 20v T any day in the reliability stakes.

In defense of the FIAT, I know someone who has a 175K old 20V T and it's all original, even the clutch and turbo. Doesn't use any oil or water, sounds well and goes well.

I know someone who has a 60K old G60 that one day stopped working and hasn't run since, despite the experts looking at it.

The 20VT is fast, the G60 isn't. And if we're talking reliability, on balance, I'd rather take the 20VT with it's charismatic 5 pot motor, Brembo 4 pots, Suretrak LSD, nice leather etc etc over the Corrado with it's flimsy sunrooves, flimsy door handles, flimsy charger, crap brakes, soggy suspension and candle powered headlights any day.