Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

UPDATE: Parts needed for clutch change etc?

The clutch has started slipping now. Its a VR6 so people will say do the chains too while your there.

Also its just approaching 180,000miles and the engine isn't perfect, still drives and accelerates fine, but can be a be noisy on startup somedays. So i can see me needing the head rebuilt too.

My mechanic skills began when i got the corrado, i'm no expert but willing to give things a try.

But what do i do? Just rebuild whats there? or would it be cheaper/quicker to source another engine? Or maybe even an R32 upgrade?

Really stuck now as to what i do, or if i carry on at all........i think all the value in my cars is in the bits and pieces on it, not the actual car

There is a good how to on the Wiki for the chains, and apparently isn't too much trouble to do.

As far as quicker/cheaper to replace, then that really is up to you. I shouldn't think it'd be cheaper to replace with say an R32, although if you get someone else to do the hard bit (the loom/ECU) then really it's a piece of p1ss to do.

Head rebuilds again, aren't that difficult, if you are willing to give it a go. The hardest part would be replacing the guides, but there are a few tricks that will allow you to do that yourself too.

Rebuilding the bottom end shouldn't be overly complicated either. New oil pump, bearing shells, rings and a re-hone would set you right, as long as you have got round cylinders, otherwise a machine shop could over bore them a little to sort that out.

Doing all that would set you up very well, for at least another 100k miles.

Depends on what you want really. Fix what you got, or shell out the extra for something more modern.

if you dont want to shell out for a 3.2 you can get a 2.8 for a good £6-800 less. Personally, if you're not in a rush and its not your daily, i'd do a 3.2 conversion.

have a word with D&G about rebuilding, i've heard nothing but good things from them on here. I rebuilt my engine myself and it cost near on £1000 and thats without labour cost obviously, but the engine feels unbelievably smooth.

It really depends what you want out of the car, if you are happy with the power and jus like the VR6 then get it rebuilt, if your looking for more power then maybe time to think about 2.8/3.2 it. I would seriously advise ALOT of research if you are though or ask someone to do conversion for you

Been stood in my garage today wondering what to do still.

Am thinking now, R32 or an engine swap is out of question, unless i found a really good 12v VR6 (rebuilt or low milage) or a VRT ready to drop in. But i don't see that happening.

So really i'm left with taking out the existing engine, doing chains & clutch and putting it back in car. Or take it out and rebuild the whole engine at same time or maybe just the head. I don't really know what condition its in or what work will need doing (knowing me it'll end up being everything)

Sell the car as is, with all the mods and slipping clutch, high miles and not get much money for it. Splitting it would be the most money in my pocket, just adding up 15 items off car i was over £2k, wheels, suspension, interior, all the nearly new engine items, lights, brakes, wipers etc But i know i would

regret it if i split it up.

If i try fixing this myself i will buy an engine crane and an engine stand. But what other major/special tools might i need and what is worth doing while rebuilding it?

Flowed head? better pistons? am i right in thinking people buy a 2.8 head and get that bored out etc?

any friends/family i ask for advice from, they just think i'm crazy and that i should of got rid of it 6months after buying it :brickwall:

At 180k miles I'd be looking at either a new VAG / VEGE exchange engine or the R32 upgrade path...

Critical_mass got a new VEGE engine and from what I've read he is more than happy with it...

thats thousands of pounds though isn't it? £3800 or £3600 am sure are the figures that cropped up while searching around the site

Just replace the clutch! At least inspect the chains before replacing them "for a laugh".

The chains job is far more expensive than just the clutch alone. clutch ~ 3 hrs, chains ~ 8-10 hrs.

buy a 2.8 24v low mileage engine for £700 approx, apparently very easy to fit, with some research and a little bit of help i reckon you could fit it for around 2k... sounds a lot but worth it if your happy with the amount of power you get from the VR engine...

im sure someone will add to this whats needed

Chains really aren't that bad to do yourself. but at that age it would be worth inspecting the bores, and giving the engine a good once over to make sure you don't waste your time.

TBH, the chains really shouldn't take much longer to do than the clutch. It's only a case of whipping the flywheel and cases off to get to them.

must admit at the moment i'm liking the idea of a Vege engine and just swapping things over. Would give me a good chance to clean up the bay with engine out, and check out the steering rack etc.

As a word of warning. If you go down this route, you will spend more money than you predict and take far longer than you intend to. You'll want to give up at some point, but if you hold your reserve you should end up happy....

Vege engine is probably the easiest method.

As a word of warning. If you go down this route, you will spend more money than you predict and take far longer than you intend to. You'll want to give up at some point, but if you hold your reserve you should end up happy....

Vege engine is probably the easiest method.

i know what you mean, i may even just do the clutch and put engine back and see how long it lasts while i save up. Am sure just doing the clutch and taking engine out i will spend a fortune on bits, new mounts etc

i have read some bad things about them engines you buy as well when i was looking into rebuilding/conversions etc... dont know if it was true but maybe worth a few searches

depends how far you want to go on getting bits replaced. its very daunting looking at a full engine in your bay and thinking you need to take it out but its alot easier then you think. once the gearbox is off it is literally a piece of cake to do the chains and there is a guide on how to do it that is absolute perfection on vortex. i reckon you could put a new clutch on it and do the chains for the right side of £6-700 if you did it yourself.

i have read some bad things about them engines you buy as well when i was looking into rebuilding/conversions etc... dont know if it was true but maybe worth a few searches

the vege ones?

the vege ones?

yes mate, pretty sure it was those ones. I was told about them and done some research and some bad stuff came up on other forums, not sure if it was true, maybe have a search on google...

Is the car using oil at the moment or giving any indication of bore wear? If not then to me there is no need to change the engine out.

When you change the engine you will start wanting to change other bits as you go and the costs will soon add up.

yes, it gets through quite a bit of oil, its coming up to 180,000 miles. Sounds a little rough on startup somedays, also a bit smokey when its cold

yes, it gets through quite a bit of oil, its coming up to 180,000 miles. Sounds a little rough on startup somedays, also a bit smokey when its cold

Smokey or steamy? What colour smoke? How much oil?

Up to you, but really it's a big jump from "slipping clutch" to "new engine"! :)