Sign in to follow this  
rajarella

help I can't move!

I'm stuck outside work in the vr and it refuses to start. This has been ongoing but this is the worst it has happened. I have checked for loose connections and found nothing. Only thing I can see is a really thin blue wire with a spade connector on the end, should this be attached?

Bit more information!

Is it turning over? Dash lights on? Fuel pump priming? etc

Doesn't turn over, fuel pump primes and dash lights are on. I have a brand new igntion switch I have just plugged in and tried turning directly but nothing. Stupid question but where are the relays?

Could also try fiddling with the loom that runs into the back of the ignition switch (while key is in the start position). Need to remove the surround from the steering wheel.

check the earths, especially the one at the front attached to the starter. put ignition on and see if it gets hot

check the earths, especially the one at the front attached to the starter. put ignition on and see if it gets hot

good call that remember when mine went one minute it worked the next it did not and just seemed to have rusted away :(

Checked the earth last weekend when I reconditioned my starter so done both those things :D

When I did the starter it was near perfect inside, just a slight bit of carbon build up. I didn't touch the solenoid but when I do have the problem I don't get the usual click linked to a dodgy solenoid.

if you dont get a click then its either the solenoid thats fauty of the feed to it, take a piece of wire with you and next time it happends connect one end to your batt + and the other end to the starter motor feed, if it does not turn the car over then you know its the starter

Could also be a weak battery maybe??

Yes, I've had everything from the uzi-like rattle of solenoid engaging and disengaging right the way down to the total and utter silence, all caused by low battery charge. You need about 11.8 volts at the battery to start a VR.

if you dont get a click then its either the solenoid thats fauty of the feed to it, take a piece of wire with you and next time it happends connect one end to your batt + and the other end to the starter motor feed, if it does not turn the car over then you know its the starter

You need a thick piece of cable to do this, use a decent quality jump lead or similar gauge cable.

You need a thick piece of cable to do this, use a decent quality jump lead or similar gauge cable.

No kidding, this needs to carry close to 200 amps. Bell wire will burn through before you've had time to drop the cable, shout "christ that's hot", and jump up and down blowing on your fingers.

No kidding, this needs to carry close to 200 amps. Bell wire will burn through before you've had time to drop the cable, shout "christ that's hot", and jump up and down blowing on your fingers.

I am starting to think I would rather keep doing my shoulder in bump starting it!!

I am starting to think I would rather keep doing my shoulder in bump starting it!!

Heavy duty jump lead should be fine ..... :)

This is of course assuming that's what the fault is. It might make no difference ..

sorry i think i worded this slightly wrong , i didnt mean the main power feed to the motor but to the solenoid, mine is around 2.5-3mm thick, if the starter works when you do this , then there is something wrong with your feed , if the starter still does not engage then you probably have a faulty solenoid/starter, sorry for the missunderstanding