Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

Which wax to use in winter

At the moment I'm using Megs NXT tech wax 2 Its easy to apply and brings the car up nice and I'm happy with the result. However with winter fast approaching I'm wondering is there a more "heavy duty" wax which I should be using? The car is used as a daily and I'm thinking the Megs may be a little light for winter use. Or am I wrong and the Megs will be ok. Any comments will be appreciated and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who may be thinking the same.

Cheers Alan

yep, collinite 476 or the 915, they do an even heavier duty wax, more for fleet/industry vehicles but i image its hard work to apply/remove

I've been using the new Autoglym carnuba wax and it seems really durable and gives a really nice shine - would highly reccommend it! :)

Would highly recommend the Zaino range - using the ZFX Accelerator allows three coats to be applied in one day, 20ml is more than enough to do three coats ona Corrado, no need to wax on top but you can if you want - will last at least 4 - 6 months before needing to do anymore to it

Just Zaino'd a Porsche 993 that I don't think had been cleaned properly for 2 years, the Zaino has brought it back superbly after some decent prep, justr topping it off with two layers of Glasur, won't need to see it again until Spring

collinite 915 gets my vote, i applied 2 coats of back in february and the car is still beading nicely. 2-3 coats in winter will be more then suffcient, elite do a kit which includes some microfibres and the wax for circa £25//

915 is better than 476 for lustre but not as durable as 476 and zaino z2 zfx'd lasts ages as said and is normally what i use as it lasts so long but you could also put a nice coat of 915 over it for real sparkle :D

Thanks guys. looks like there are plenty of products out there which will do the job nicely. I've never tried the collinite range before. I'll give it ago. Is this wax avaiable via retail or is the internet the best bet?

Cheers Alan

Alan,

my vote goes with the Colinite 915.. been using for just over a year, very durable wax, I've read reports of over 6 months and still beading... mine's currently 2 months since last application and still going Strong... Bear in mind I recenly moved from within 1/4 mile of City Airport in Lodon so it's having to deal with a LOT of air-bourne pollutants (kerosene mostly), and always come back good and shiney!

It also dealt with last winter's cold snap really impressivly, no loss of beading or shine even after a week of being frozen.

Buy from Alex at Elite... http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/collinite ... p?cPath=67

Oh and as it's a "Hard Wax" the tub lasts ages (mines not even 1/4 gone yet!)

Finish Kare FK1000P is suppose to be "the" wax sealant to use on bodywork and wheels, buy it here

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Pro ... w_402.html

also collinite 915 as said is suppose to be as good, never used it...

i would clean the car, use a polish (zaino's is suppose to be very good but again havent used yet), then a glaze, then this stuff over the top, 1 coat lasts weeks and weeks, so a simple wash will bring the shine back up 8)

Some good advice I was given was "If your prep is right then any wax will look good and last adecent amount of time", if you just slap some wax on unprepared bodywork then its finish / durability will be compromised

Very good advice that!

Wax does not give the shine...it does add a little to it but it's mostly for prtection, the shine well, it's down to prep work...

Wash/clay/wash/polish/seal/wax etc...

Sealers on their own will only last a couple months, they tend to get broken down by UV, which is why it's advisable to add a layer or two of wax over the top...

And as no one's mentioned if it's a Tornado (pink) Red car.. that opens a whole new canf worms up! :lol:

And as no one's mentioned if it's a Tornado (pink) Red car.. that opens a whole new canf worms up! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: classic

I quite like my Tornado Pink car I'll have you know.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf2387207.jpg[/attachment:pqzhrg4m]

DSC_7951_Js_Car_medium.jpg[/attachment:pqzhrg4m]

it does take a lot of spit and polish to make it look like that.

Possibly where you're going wrong! :lol:

You'll be surprised :) To be honest I only use good old fashioned tripple wax shampoo and coloured polish at the moment. I will be taking notes from this thread though for future use.

basic clean to get you started then, other people can add to it obviously...

clean wheels and arches

snow foam or just wet the bodywork with water to remove loose dirt

shampoo with wool mitt (duragloss shampoo is what im buying next, apparently good)

then you can clay bar it

polish

glaze (optional)

sealant as discussed already (put on both wheels and paintwork)

that should do it i reckon!! but i would get some better car wash and polish, even the autoglym stuff is better... chemical guys, megs or zaino are very good...

Another vote for the Collinite stuff. A nice layer or 2 of 476 plus a layer of 915 will bead for a year easily. Well, I applied just 2 layers of 476 18 months ago and it was still beading on the roof and bonnet prior to applying the new layers a few weeks ago. Only the bumpers and stopped beading for some reason. Must be because they're plastic or something :shrug:

Only the bumpers and stopped beading for some reason. Must be because they're plastic or something :shrug:

Or the fact that the wax had worn with turbulance... ?

When Using Colinite need to leave it overnight between coats to allow the first to "go off" and harden properly as well

Really? I just wiped it on and wiped it off again :lol:

Yeah I thought that too about the bumpers. They flex more than steel in the turbulence as you say and the wax must get 'shaken' off for want of a better explanation? :D

basic clean to get you started then, other people can add to it obviously...

clean wheels and arches

snow foam or just wet the bodywork with water to remove loose dirt

shampoo with wool mitt (duragloss shampoo is what im buying next, apparently good)

then you can clay bar it

polish

glaze (optional)

sealant as discussed already (put on both wheels and paintwork)

that should do it i reckon!! but i would get some better car wash and polish, even the autoglym stuff is better... chemical guys, megs or zaino are very good...

BEN if your doing it proper like you should wash after claying then dry with megs last touch or simular then polish (glaze) is only any good for non clearcoat paint finishes as it adds oils to the paint and then your sealant /wax combo :D

As always with these type of questions it does open up a can of worms but it was something I was expecting. There is great advice out there and I've never been one for really getting the best look out of a car until I bought the C. I try to keep it looking good. Preperation is key to a good finish so I shall be buying more than just wax - clay bar and polish ect. Thanks again to all who have helped and supplied links I'll get round to having a proper look soon when I get time :D

Alan