Sign in to follow this  
ANDREW 30

VR6 spark plug gap

Can anyone confirm for me the plug gap need as all the info i've found says 0.7mm for ngk, but the pre set gap on the ngk platinums i've got is around 1.6mm!!!!

And it also says that the gap is'nt to be adjusted!

Hoping someone can put me right.

Thanks Andrew

The plugs aren't really "gapped". The plugs don't spark across the gap you can see. The spark travels from the electrode along the insulator and jumps onto the underside of the outer two electodes. The plugs are bought pre-gapped and don't need adjustment. Worn out when about 1/3rd of the underside of the outer two electordes has gone.

0.032" is the standard VR6 plug gap, what ever that is in metric. As RW1 says though, it doesn't really matter. I've never gapped plugs on my VR6. Just out of the packet and into the engine!

I just so happened to be looking at this last night - it is in Bentley, it's in the 93-94 update at the back..... I have to say I'm not entirely sure what it said now (12 hours is a long time for my aged memory!!) but I vaguely recall 0.7mm being mentioned.

- Check it, it's definitely there.

I'm assuming VR's use triple/quadruple electrode plugs like the 4 cylinder engines, if so, how the hell would you measure the gap, the electrodes are curved :scratch:

The last time I checked a spark plug gap was on a 1985 polo, gapping the points at the same time :lol:

I'm assuming VR's use triple/quadruple electrode plugs like the 4 cylinder engines, if so, how the hell would you measure the gap, the electrodes are curved :scratch:

The last time I checked a spark plug gap was on a 1985 polo, gapping the points at the same time :lol:

I use single electrode plugs, but the stock one is a twin if I remember and you're right, not the easiest of plugs to gap.... which is why they come gapped from the factory :D

You can run injector and spark tests on the VR6 ECU (and my standalone) and trust me, if you saw the spark from a VR6 coilpack, you wouldn't bother gapping a plug, you're talking 25-30Kv. it'll have no trouble arcing over 1mm+ gaps.

0.032" is the standard VR6 plug gap, what ever that is in metric. As RW1 says though, it doesn't really matter. I've never gapped plugs on my VR6. Just out of the packet and into the engine!

0.8128mm then :dorky: :D

Yeah that'll do :D

I changed the plugs on Rob's (Herisite's) VR6 before he R32'd it and you could drive a bus through the gaps, but 5 of the 6 still fired just fine!