Sign in to follow this  
CIPO

R32 test drive

Very impressed with it in general. Throttle response is brilliant and the pull at low revs is much better than the VR6. It sounds awsome! Once your up above 3000rpm it is not quicker than the VR and in fact because of the 6 speed box I found i was changing up when the Vr would have still been pulling away.

Nice car but it's still a golf underneath and not as exclusive as theVR.

Thats very interesting having not driven one myself from what friends have been saying it sounded like they're the best thing since slice bread!!!!

8)

Thats very interesting having not driven one myself from what friends have been saying it sounded like they're the best thing since slice bread!!!!

8)

thats what i've heard too

glad the VR can still hold its own :)

Does it seriously feel a bit slower than the VR past 3000rpm? The R32 is pretty heavy though......but I would have thought the extra 300cc, 12 extra valves and variable timing would have made up for that and blown the Corrado into the weeds!

K

kevhaywire and the 4WD ...... mind it is a golf and not a mk2....

why can't VW make a newer CORRADO coz it will kick the R32 in the teeth... lol

They should do given the large amount of new Coupes hitting the showrooms at the moment. They obviously got their britches burnt with the Corrado and are too scared to make the same mistake again.....but they'll happily waste millions on developing a W18 engine though, which was a complete flop.

They're missing out on a good oppurtunity to cash in on the Coupe craze at the moment.....idiots.

K

Funny you guys should be discussing this because I had a 'run in' with one last night and although the R32 was quick it couldn't keep up. I kid you not - I was well ahead. :) :) :)

Kev,

I know this is totally OT now but.. i'm interested to know how VW got their hands burned with the Corrado. They said the same on Top Gear ("It was a complete flop!") yet the motoring press raved about the car. Was it that people just didn't buy the car, and only now in its later life its getting some attention?

But the Corrado was around way before I took an interest in cars so I never knew about it / its history :)

The Corrado cost VW an absolute fortune, and never sold in large enough numbers for them to recoup the design and manufacture costs. In fact it was only when they announced it's demise that it really started selling *well*, prior to that it had just ticked over.

Or that's the gist of it, anyway.

why can't VW make a newer CORRADO coz it will kick the R32 in the teeth... lol

I thought that was the leon :roll:

Who knows....if VW had launched the Corrado now, and not back then, it would be a lot more successful. The late 80s/early 90s was a time of recovery after the great boom and bust of the Stock Market during the mid 80s. People just weren't prepared to pay £18K (BMW/Merc money) for a Golf in drag. I think VW's biggest mistake was their timing to be honest.

K

Of course if VW launched the Corrado now it would have had the Golf Mk4 chassis, which would have resulted in it being a lemon...

The motoring press *liked* the handling of the Golf 2, and the Corrado maintained that standard. No-one likes the handling of the Golf 4 at all, so it would just be another Audi TT. An expensive toy for people who don't care so much about their driving experience, but are more interested in playing the numbers game (price, performance) down the pub with their mates.

Sorry TT drivers, but I honestly can't find a lot of appeal in the car..

But I get what you're saying Kev. If they could manage to release an updated version that kept the handling and steering characteristics of the original, yet had modern power, drivetrain and cabin features it would be more competitive I'm sure.

I personally think that the BMW Coupe, Calibra and Rover Coupe stole some (alot) of the Corrado's limelight although the corrado was released abit earlier, around 92/93 all four models were on the market.

The BMW 318is was similar in performance to the MK3 Golf gti (8v) car they should have always been 325 and above but cos of the prestige of the brand they sold like hot cakes.

The g60 should have been RHD right from the start, but generally im gald that Corrado's didnt sell that well cos it makes them so much more exclusive :D

Funny you guys should be discussing this because I had a 'run in' with one last night and although the R32 was quick it couldn't keep up. I kid you not - I was a good 5 metres ahead. :) :) :)

So you telling me next time I come across an R32, i'll be able to kick its a$re (a little bit)!!! Bring it on. That'll wipe the smile of the face of the smug rich git driving it. Yeehaa

Timo (now hunting for an R32 to beat. Only ever seen one on the road, damn!!....)

Funny you guys should be discussing this because I had a 'run in' with one last night and although the R32 was quick it couldn't keep up. I kid you not - I was a good 5 metres ahead. :) :) :)

So you telling me next time I come across an R32, i'll be able to kick its a$re (a little bit)!!! Bring it on. That'll wipe the smile of the face of the smug rich git driving it. Yeehaa

Timo (now hunting for an R32 to beat. Only ever seen one on the road, damn!!....)

Yes mate, to be honest I was further ahead than that but thought people might disbelieve hence the toning down! So i have edited it to 'well ahead' now. :norty:

No one disbelieves you mate, a good VR6 is a very quick car, no question. Evo magazine's official timed figures for a standard VR are 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 146mph Vmax. So very similar to the R32.

In the R32's defence, it is some 250Kg heavier than the VR6!

Whether or not it's fast or slow is academical because it is the most awesome Golf ever to leave Wolfsburg imo.

No one disbelieves you mate, a good VR6 is a very quick car, no question. Evo magazine's official timed figures for a standard VR are 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and 146mph Vmax. So very similar to the R32.

In the R32's defence, it is some 250Kg heavier than the VR6!

Whether or not it's fast or slow is academical because it is the most awesome Golf ever to leave Wolfsburg imo, but it's good to know the original Inline V6 can still cut it against modern machinery :lol:

Looking at vw's brochure for the R32 says 0-62 in 6.6 and top speed of 153 mph and maximum torque of 236 Ibs.ft at 2800rpm. Just wondering but hows the torque compare to the vr :?:

There's more than a Corrado, and it's at lower revs too. But then you'd expect that, the R32 *does* have variable inlet manifolding (a VSR), plus the ubiquitous 24 valves, so it generally breathes a lot better. Add the extra 300cc and you can see where the extra oomph comes from...

But it's a bit heavier (well the equivalent of three fat blokes), and it loses 20bhp to a 4x4 setup in rolling resistance, so it's not necessarily quicker.

That low down torque will make it feel more spritely than it is, however...

Variable valve timing too I believe....on both inlet *and* exhaust cams....unlike VW's first generation inlet only variable rate in the 4Motion.

It's interesting to see that Audi run the same engine at 247bhp and VW at 'only' 237 bhp.

K