Sign in to follow this  
Rambo

VR6 power

Guys what do you think is needed to make the corrado vr6 500bhp, what would the quater mile be with that. Just wondering if 12v vr6 has any potential. Recently brought a corrado vr6, but was upset with the lack of power.

You were disapointed with the 190bhp so now you want to make it 500bhp, thats a big jump! LOL

It is certainly possible, but it would probably be easier and as fun to go for circa 350-400bhp. Check out the forced induction thread on here for details.

Matt

If your corrado upsets you why did you buy it?

Probably cos as he says he thought it would be faster than it was. Really isnt a quick car the VR6 considering its capacity. I know what he is saying.

Big turbo 20vt swap would be best option. If its purely about power rather than the love the Rado's good points then you'd probably be better served with a different car.

500hp is pushing it a bit obviously.

But I just want to know the potential the vr6 has, like im guessing putting a turbo or supercharger will give i think about 350hp and cost around 5k. P.s. What turbo do you guys normally use, i see from the forum you use the Gt35, if you wanted 500hp would you still use the gt35 or would you go up to a gt40 or something.

What next, after a turbo, or is the turbo the be all and end all for increasing performance in a vr6.

P.S. I want to spend about 5 - 10k on the corrado, trying to make it into a performance car, but right now im a little disappointed. I dont want to spend 10k and then realise I was better off buying an RS4 and putting a bigger turbo in that.

I think you would be better off going for a jap car or some america muscle if quarter miles are your thing.

but I still want the handling of the corrado. And I definatly do not want a jap toy car.

If your corrado upsets you why did you buy it?

Probably cos as he says he thought it would be faster than it was. Really isnt a quick car the VR6 considering its capacity. I know what he is saying.

Don't people test drive cars any more? Also what else car you get for this money thats this good?

But I just want to know the potential the vr6 has, like im guessing putting a turbo or supercharger will give i think about 350hp and cost around 5k. P.s. What turbo do you guys normally use, i see from the forum you use the Gt35, if you wanted 500hp would you still use the gt35 or would you go up to a gt40 or something.

What next, after a turbo, or is the turbo the be all and end all for increasing performance in a vr6.

P.S. I want to spend about 5 - 10k on the corrado, trying to make it into a performance car, but right now im a little disappointed. I dont want to spend 10k and then realise I was better off buying an RS4 and putting a bigger turbo in that.

Buy a RS4 and bigger turbo.

Big turbo 20vt swap would be best option. If its purely about power rather than the love the Rado's good points then you'd probably be better served with a different car.

I love the corrado looks and the vr6 noise, I think only an american muscle car can compete with the vr6 noise. And there is no way Im buying a golf or audi a3, why would i want to go from a corrado to a golf, thats a step down in life lol.

Personally, i think the vr6 has more potential than the 20vt. Put a turbo on a vr6 and your faster than the 20vt anyway (so i think).

Buy a RS4 and bigger turbo.

Anyone want to buy a corrado vr6, lol.

Joking, seriously though, whats the potential of the vr6. I want to keep the corrado vr6, because of its looks and the vr6 noise.

So what would I need to do to it to make it 500bhp, is it even possible?

Another off topic comment, but that photo on the top, with the two corrados. The darker corrado looks much nicer, it looks like an beast and the other lighter one looks like a sheep about to be eaten, lol.

Why is one so much bigger than the other.

Joking, seriously though, whats the potential of the vr6. I want to keep the corrado vr6, because of its looks and the vr6 noise.

So what would I need to do to it to make it 500bhp, is it even possible?

You can go to 500bhp if you want, do you really want a 500bhp fwd car though :confused4: :

http://www.schimmelperformance.com/

I think you would be better off going for a jap car or some america muscle if quarter miles are your thing.

but I still want the handling of the corrado. And I definatly do not want a jap toy car.

It good to hear you have big plans for the car. What about something like a bi turbo vr6 or a vr6 turbo engine in the back and one in the front. You will get the power you want.

If handling is something you want, I think a 20vt will handle much better.

Most people on here are more interested in refining their corrado rather than sheer perfornamce. I think thats why we we dont mind that the engine is 190hp (small compared to the like of RS4)

Another off topic comment, but that photo on the top, with the two corrados. The darker corrado looks much nicer, it looks like an beast and the other lighter one looks like a sheep about to be eaten, lol.

Why is one so much bigger than the other.

You really need to get things in perspective :lol:

This is such a random off the wall post.......comparing RS4 with VR6 :cuckoo:

sorry dont mean to offend but it all seems a little odd :scratch:

if your serious about getting big BHP out of a VR just use the search feature, there are loads of threads on big turbo conversions.....whatever you do good luck though :)

The money you're going to spend on getting a VR6 reliably to that kind of power, you might as well just buy a second hand RS6. It'll save you a lot of time and money.

Welcome, John "First Boost" Rambo :D Sorry, couldn't resist that one :lol:

OK, now for the technical answers you wanted, instead of the judgemental ones :wink:

500 horse is far from pushing it. The only thing stopping you achieving 1000hp, if you want it, is budget.

The GT35R will bash out 500 shetlands all day long on a VR6. A GT40 will be a bit laggy unless you fit the biggest valves possible and open out the head ports as far as they'll go.

Nope, far from it. You can bi-turbo as already mentioned, or add a Supercharger, or just Supercharge it with a Vortech, Rotrex, Eaton.... the options are endless.

Why not go RWD? You can buy engine mount and gearbox conversion kits to mount the VR6 'north-south' like an Audi engine and use BMW 1 series running gear. No one has done that. Be the first mate. It'll earn you 4 billion scene points. Maybe another 400,000 points if you chrome the prop shaft!

Why not go RWD? You can buy engine mount and gearbox conversion kits to mount the VR6 'north-south' like an Audi engine and use BMW 1 series running gear. No one has done that. Be the first mate. It'll earn you 4 billion scene points. Maybe another 400,000 points if you chrome the prop shaft!

:lol: :lol:

Recently brought a corrado vr6, but was upset with the lack of power.

Some outside-the-box alternatives...

You could do some of the milder/cheaper engine mods (zorst,cams,intake, that kind of thing) to boost power a little, and then spend a chunk of money on weight reduction: carbon bonnet, lighter interior, race alloy wheels etc. etc.

Or... You could spend the money on putting the power on the road better i.e. very good suspension, brakes, top-spec tyres etc.

Or... How about the obvious - an R32's 24v? (Has that already been suggested?).

I've only had my VR6 a few weeks, and I can't see why you need much more power - its awesome as standard. There hasn't been a single situation yet where I've thought "I wish this was a bit faster". Overtaking is a breeze when required, and an open road is a lot of fun. With that much more power I would be risking my licence just to enjoy the upper limits of the car. Maybe your into track days or something?? :confused4:

I've only had my VR6 a few weeks, and I can't see why you need much more power - its awesome as standard. There hasn't been a single situation yet where I've thought "I wish this was a bit faster". Overtaking is a breeze when required, and an open road is a lot of fun. With that much more power I would be risking my licence just to enjoy the upper limits of the car. Maybe your into track days or something?? :confused4:

You appear to be in the minority then as I'm losing count of the amount of VR6 Corrados which are receiving R32 engines or turbos / Superchargers etc.

It's not necessarily about enjoying the upper limits of the car, but rather giving the engine a fatter, more usable torque curve because they're pretty gutless below 4000rpm as standard.

speed = fun

and wiping the grin off some peoples faces is prcieless!!

and if you put a turbo on the VR, it wont sound the same either, mine certainly doesnt!!!! i would start off like everyone else and go for 350-400, that should be fast enough to be fair, otherwise why the :censored: did you buy a Corrado VR6 :lol:

It all comes down to personal preference/experience though doesn't it? And its all comparative (e.g if you're used to a 1.0l Micra then I expect a VR6 would feel like a rocket!)

Standard VR6's are perfectly powerful enough for me, i'm no speed demon and i'm not interested in track days or racing people on the roads etc so 190bhp is more than enough power to effortlessly cruise at 80mph. Having said that, I can fully understand the thrill people get from taking their Corrados to 400bhp and being able to play with cars that cost 10 times as much, if that's your thing then go for it!

Also, whenever I've had quick cars before, they feel awesome for the first few months, but inevitably they start to feel slower once you're used to the power, same goes for handling etc - hence so many people start off saying "I'm going to keep this standard" yet bit by bit the mods start appearing :lol:

Not everyone is interested in Corrados for the same reasons :camp: