Conker

Conkers VR6

Hi,

Its about time I sorted out a thread for my Corrado.

Background: I've owned a Mk2 Golf GTI 16v for the last 3 years and loved it so much I didn't think I would get itchy feet for a very long time. Then on the way home from work a few months ago there was a blue VR6 Corrado behind me and I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I made the decision to get one there and then.

The Hunt For VR6: Over the next few months I went to look at 3 VR6's, all of which were far worse than the seller described. I don't mind mechanical problems, but I was trying to find an example with very, very little rust. The worst one was a 150 mile drive to look at a "minter with zero rust", to then immediately spot rotten arches as I walked up his drive :brickwall:

I finally found this one:

finished1sized.jpg

finished2sized.jpg

Its a VR6 Storm with 130k miles or so. It was a bit rough on the test drive, but the seller had only driven a few hundred miles in it in the last two years according to the MOTs, plus it had been SORN'd, but the bodywork was the best I had seen, not "mint", but good enough. Within a week of owning it the front brakes completely seized (lack of use I guess), so I've replaced everything just to be on the safe side (brand new calipers direct from VW for £50 each, awesome!), and thats all I've done so far.

My job list is absolutely huge, and will easily take a year or two to get through. First on the list is new wheels and tyres as the 17's on there now look good but are evil to drive on anything other than completely smooth roads. I'm on the lookout for some Solitudes or Speedlines (OEM FTW!). Second job on the list is a new alarm system and door locks as the current alarm works well but only has one fob, and the one key I've got for it only opens the boot, LOL!

Overall, I absolutely love the car. Its a good bit quicker than the Mk2, and feels a bit more special - it seems like only petrolheads actually know what the Corrado is!

I'll keep this thread updated with progress!!

Cheers,

Dave

Looks super mint, really like it, nice pics of it lurking about in the bushes :)

P.s, Reckon you should get Solitudes not speedlines, although the Speedlines IMO look nicer you'll forever have people questioning the Storm badges

:wave:

Cheers for the comments guys.

Good point about the solitudes bannawhip. Its a shame because I like the speedlines better too!

In a bid to massively increase the comfort levels for my daily commute, the 17's have been binned, and replaced with solitudes. The reduced wheel size, huge reduction in unsprung weight, and much more tyre "squish", combined with a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos and a session at Imperial Tyres for full 3D four wheel alignment has transformed the car.

I don't think it looks quite as good as before, but I like it, and the way it drives is night vs day - its so much more comfortable over bumps/potholes. The 17's would have been fantastic on a track day or something like that, especially as theres so much more tyre choice at that size (888's etc.), but my journey to work is mostly country lanes.

The Pilot Exaltos are fantastic by the way - wet weather grip is phonomenal and aqua planing has been eliminated, even in fairly deep standing water. There is very little choice for 205/50/15's, so this was the best option I could find. £100 each though (fitted). The 195/45/15's on my Mk2 golf were half that price!!!

newalloys.jpg

:clap: looks good on the solitudes mate! What colour are they?

Oh and out of curiosity, how much do Imperial Tyres charge for the 4-wheel alignment??

Oh and out of curiosity, how much do Imperial Tyres charge for the 4-wheel alignment??

£75 inc VAT. Top quality service, highly recommended. Takes about an hour but theres a decent reception area to wait in. Plus they give you a before and after print out of the all the readings.

The only thing I would say is that with the Corrado suspension there is very little they can change on the rears, and there is only camber and toe at the fronts that they can realistically alter, so in essence the extra £50 on top of a normal alignment check just buys you a camber check. I guess it also makes sure that everything is in order suspension wise, which is no bad thing.

The car feels very stable now though. If I let go of the wheel the car stays straight and true, whereas before it would wander.

COLOUR = Porsche metallic grey apparently. Might go back to silver eventually.

A few new pics taken at the Castle Coombe track day. Quite pleased with how the paintwork buffed up.

vr61.jpg

vr62.jpg

Looking good, solitudes look great! What colour are they? (quite hard to tell from here). Paintwork looks much better than mine, too.

Also, your rear vr6/storm badges seem to be the wrong way round :confused4: Either that or mines wrong :eek:

Looking good, solitudes look great! What colour are they? (quite hard to tell from here). Paintwork looks much better than mine, too.

Also, your rear vr6/storm badges seem to be the wrong way round :confused4: Either that or mines wrong :eek:

Yeah i second that. Fairly sure the brochure for the Storm (and how dealers put the storm badge on) was to place it to the left of the already applied factory VR6 badge.

car looks nice there fella, what is on that long list of things to do? It seems like as you tick things off the list, more are added onto the bottom - well it is in my case anyways :grin:

Cheers for the comments guys.

Just checked, and the badges are definitely the wrong way round:

corradorear.jpg

The rear has seen some spraypaint over the years - maybe the bodyshop put them back on that way :shrug:

As for the solitudes, they are a mettalic grey (a porsche shade apparently). I don't like them personally - I like dark wheels only on lighter coloured cars as a rule, unless your going for a mega-evil stance. As soon as I can justify the £200, I'm getting them refurbed back to silver.

car looks nice there fella, what is on that long list of things to do? It seems like as you tick things off the list, more are added onto the bottom - well it is in my case anyways :grin:

Absolutely! I probably get one job a month done, but add three more to the list. :brickwall:

Main things required are...

1) New alarm (the current one has only got one dodgy fob left)

2) Silver wheels

3) New suspension, wishbones and bushes etc.

4) Rear brakes are getting tired

... At least the engine is currently peachy (touch wood)!

looking good, know what you mean about 1 job forward 3 jobs back :)

seems like a nice finish on the wheels, the photos are misleading, almost seem a bluey colour.

seems like a nice finish on the wheels, the photos are misleading, almost seem a bluey colour.

True. The closest colour I can think of is Atlas Grey.

Moar updates please!

:nuts:

Will get some pics when its back from DG Autotech. I've gone back to standard ride height and a few other bits and bobs.

Time for an update...

Well the biggest change over the last few months has been a return to OEM suspension. I took the plunge and had DG Autotech's full bush pack fitted which replaces everything "rubbery", including R32 wishbones and new top mounts and tie rods and so on, but also the harder to reach bushes like rear beam etc. A lot of money but well worth it in my opinion.

While it was there I had brand new OEM dampers and springs fitted. I've decided to go down the comfort route with my Corrado as most of my driving is on country lanes and I honestly couldn't stand the "sporty" setup I had before - Anyway, I'm sure I can make better B-Road progress with supple suspension as before I was tip-toeing over potholes and scarred tarmac.

Having said that, I really notice a diference on a bypass or roundabout - the OEM setup is much more wallowy. But hey, I'm getting old: Comfort is the new black.

Another long-standing job I've just got round to: Replacing the fuel filter...

Out with the old:

filterbefore.jpg

In with the new, plus refurbed holder, new fuel clips and copper greased bolts:

filterafter.jpg

I've also (controversially!) bought some new "non-storm" wheels. I've been a little skint over the last few months, and my tyres all need replacing, so the search began for some cheap wheels that incuded half decent tyres. After a few weeks I won a set of Polo wheels for £100 - badly kerbed but with almost brand new tyres: Two Uniroyal Rainsports and two Pirrelli 6000's. Result!

This also fitted in with my "comfort plan", in that the new tyres are so much softer than the Michelin Pilot Exaltos I had on before - the sidewall on the exaltos almost have no give in them whatsoever.

So, with the tight budget in mind, a few rattle cans of high build primer and VW Diamond Silver and I had a set of "reasonably" refurbed wheels:

Plus I gave them a really good clean. From...

wheelbefore.jpg

To...

wheelafter.jpg

The new look:

fronttb.jpg

backru.jpg

Edited by Conker

Not sure about those wheels, but I admit I've also resorted to the 'buy a set of wheels because they've got good tyres' method on (more than one) occasion!

Good luck with the sale! As an aside, what did you use to clean the wheels to get them looking like that? Roughly how long did it take too?