Sign in to follow this  
anndy

whats a corrado like to drive compared to a 79 golf gti?

Hi all,

I want a Corrado but don't know which one to go for. Is the VR6 the one to go for or is it the 2l 16v, also how does it compare to driving a 79 mk1 gti? I have driven a 79 and 1982 golf gti for about 12 years and getting too old. How smooth is a corrado to drive and would you class the engines as moden?

andy

Well do I opt for a G60,VR6, 1800 8v, 2000 8v, 2000 16v?

Come on help me out girls/guys?

I've got 4k to spend

The only way to tell is to take one for a test drive :D . The two cars are of different breeding and probably both as enjoyable to drive. The Corrado has more creature comforts and will give a more comfortabler drive on longer journeys. I run a MK2 GTI which I enjoy just as much as the Corrado but it all depends what sort of mood I am in.

Ok, forget the golf gti's I really hate them now, they are like driving a go kart.

I can't really test drive the complete range of corrados without wasting peoples time, i was hoping for someone would give me a brief description of each model :clap:

1.8 16v - needs it's neck wrung but fun all the same

2.0 8v - flexible, but not scintilating

2.0 16v - a little torquier than the 1.8 but still needs neck wrung

G60 - very capable, further gains are cheap and quick

vr6 - probably the most refined in standard form

they all have point and shoot handling

beyond that try the search function and you'll come across some age old debates :D

I would describe them like so for around town driving:

Vr6 = laid back cruiser wanting to stretch it's legs.

G60 = Highly strung nutcase, wanting to scream at everyone and everything.

Valvers = Happy medium, but like to be wound up.

2.0 8v = Good gearing and revvy enough around town.

Neil.

The others have summed them up well, sounds like you want a VR6 really if you want maximum refinement.

Get summing up by all, cheers.

Still not sure which one to go for. I've herd that the VR6 is too heavy and that the G60 is the one to go for?

are you going to be modifying if not definatly the vr6 if you are then depends how much money you want to chuck at it

If you're not gonna be modding the lump then the VR is gonna be the one to go for, if you want cheap bang for your buck then get a G60...

Good luck either way, and choose carefully. Plenty of dogs out there!

If you want to detach yourself from Golf GTIs, get the VR6.

I've had MK1 and MK2 GTIs myself and the VR6 drives nothing like them. It is better in every way, imo of course.

If you still want one foot in the past, then any of the 4 pot Corrados have a certain MK2 Golfishness about them.

how does it compare to driving a 79 mk1 gti? ...

well the Corrado is not far off twice the weight, so none of them are like go-carts, but they are much more forgiving if you enter a corner wrong :)

In fact you have to be pretty stupid to get into trouble cornering in a Corrado.

Lots of soundproofing too also contributes to the feeling of solidity in a C, the different type of gearbox and shifting mechanism also feels a fair bit different to the mk1/2 golf, all c's have power steering and of course the brakes work on Corrados :)

A VR6 feels quite different to the other corrados as the v6 engine is so much smoother but also heavier and mounted quite far forward in the engine bay, with all the minor differences a VR6 is about 100kg heavier than most of the 4 pot corrado's (A g60 is slightly heavier than a 16v), to compensate for this the VR6 has a wider track which also helps contribute to it feeling like a different car from the 4 pots. A standard 16v engine doesn't suit the C very well, but they are quite nimble nonetheless.

If the MK1 GTI was a fun car, it was mainly because the power/weight and handling was so well balanced (or on the edge!), the Corrado chassis is capable of way more power than any of them had from the factory so it's not like the mk1 in that sense, but as a fine handling FWD car the Corrado is probably on a par with the mk1 for their respective ages and competition from their eras

We had a mk1 Gti Before the Corrado,

its the Only car she would have and let go of her golf.

we got a 16v one,its had a battery and serviced every year,apart from that not much has gone wrong with it.

Compared to the scrap they make today its pretty faultless and 20 years old.

Would I buy another?

Based on this one yes.

Vr6's I would think Love petrol stations as do G60's

if you can afford the Petrol go for a VR6 as 4K gets a lot of Nice car 8)

errr... :wave: last question if you don't mind, how does the corrado compare to a mk3 Golf. I believe the mk3 Golf is regarded as a modern engine.

andy

The VR6 is the one to go for, and if you have £4k, you should be able to find a very good one. The MK3 is no comparison at all. Out of the box the Corrado is in a completely different league, especially in terms of handling and, of course, looks.