robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

I found the leak today Keyo. It is the gasket. I shone a torch into the blower cover and could see the water dripping down inside it . I will be having a good think this week about what I should do regarding the car .

Rob did you stick the gasket to the foliage cover or the scuttle panel first ? Why don't you get some of that waterproof paint and then paint round the foliage housing and then get another gasket and give it another go.

Edited by Keyo

I’ve ordered another gasket . I stuck it to the the blower cover as that’s the advice I had . Knowing what I know about water penetration (I’m in the damp proofing game) it seams ridiculous that we are relying on the force of a clip and two pins to compress the gasket for a water proof seal .

Rob can you get some sort of bitumen paint, there is loads of roof paint out there now as well, just paint the scuttle in that area first. Yes you stick it to the foliage cover.

Just noticed this is up for sale still.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911134315965?radius=1501&model=CORRADO&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&make=VOLKSWAGEN&postcode=b736hg&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

Ah the dampproofing game , biggest cause of damp are vent bricks getting covered up by raised drives and also badly maintained roofs. and gutters. If you ever have damp if you address the water ingress or lack breathing through blocked vents you should not need any wall injection. Also put trickle vents in your windows and leave them open always.

Edited by Keyo

Yep air flow is king . I’ve seen all sorts in my time . Paignton is a small place I’ve never seen that car before .

Edit it was an ad across the page which said jobs in Paignton, not where the car was for sale .

Yep air flow is king . I’ve seen all sorts in my time . Paignton is a small place I’ve never seen that car before .

Edit it was an ad across the page which said jobs in Paignton, not where the car was for sale .

I saw one for sale in my second home town recently, Dartmouth. Think it was on gumtree. Just saying think it was a valve. Very surprised.

Rob try and stick with the present car and get some good advice first.

Edited by delfinis38

Theres a Nothelle G60 only 10 mins up the road from me too. Not that I'm suggesting you should jump ship Rob, I know it's feeling like a big spend roundabout at the moment but hopefully you'll get the leak sorted and it'll ease the frustration bit. Maybe just use it and not worry too much about small patches or issues here and there. Not to let it get out of control, but step back from trying to achieve a perfect car all the time and just enjoy it for what it is mate. Just a suggestion, but I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you mate. :thumbleft:

Only dilemma is these small patches can lead to a MOT failure as they are close enough to the seat belt anchor points and also will just get bigger if not cut out.

100 percent need to think things through though. Sometimes its better to know the devil then devil you don't. However I imagine you would be an expert on the pre inspection on these cars by now.

Sean have you got a link for Nothelle G60 Corrado sounds bloomin cool.

Thanks

Edited by Keyo

I found the leak today Keyo. It is the gasket. I shone a torch into the blower cover and could see the water dripping down inside it . I will be having a good think this week about what I should do regarding the car .

Hi Rob,

sorry to hear your dilemma as regards your Corrado, if it's just the gasket that is letting water through, there's one sealant that is fantastic I know of, and it's called Tiger Seal, it honestly is great stuff, and should sort out your water leak.

I've used it before many times and it's always sorted out my body work leaks, that I had on other cars over the years.

Just to warn you Rob this Tiger Seal is a very strong adhesive/sealant, so once you apply it to both sides of gasket it'll stay bonded on, believe me it's strong stuff. As an extra precaution you could smear the sealant over the gap, between the bulkhead and plastic cowling vent, what I mean is then there's no chance of any water getting in.

Plus you might find you get a smell of the sealant coming through into cab, when you operate the fan blower, but this won't last for long, possibly a few weeks ?

Price wise it's £8 to £13 depending where you purchase from, I think Halfords sell it plus is possibly on eBay.

Hope this helps

Si

Also Rob if your Corrado is outside in all weathers like mine is, have you thought about a decent car cover, I bought one recently from Halfords for my Corrado, and it fits great.

This way your car is kept dry especially if it's one of the breathable covers,

and don't feel pressured to get everything done on your Corrado in one hit,

do a bit here and there and then save up some funds over the next few months, or even over a year.

Rob my Corrado has been of the road since early 2015, I've got loads done on it but have still got a few things left to sort out, that's heading towards 5 years for me that my Corrado has been off the road now.

Rob I hope you make the right decision that's right for you, don't feel pressured either way :thumbleft:

Hope this helps

Si

Edited by vw rule

I saw one for sale in my second home town recently, Dartmouth. Think it was on gumtree. Just saying think it was a valve. Very surprised.

Rob try and stick with the present car and get some good advice first.

Thanks delfinis . I’m taking everyone’s comments on board .

Theres a Nothelle G60 only 10 mins up the road from me too. Not that I'm suggesting you should jump ship Rob, I know it's feeling like a big spend roundabout at the moment but hopefully you'll get the leak sorted and it'll ease the frustration bit. Maybe just use it and not worry too much about small patches or issues here and there. Not to let it get out of control, but step back from trying to achieve a perfect car all the time and just enjoy it for what it is mate. Just a suggestion, but I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you mate. :thumbleft:

Thanks Sean . If I do keep it , the work needs to be done ASAP , the longer I leave it the worse it will get .

Only dilemma is these small patches can lead to a MOT failure as they are close enough to the seat belt anchor points and also will just get bigger if not cut out.

100 percent need to think things through though. Sometimes its better to know the devil then devil you don't. However I imagine you would be an expert on the pre inspection on these cars by now.

Sean have you got a link for Nothelle G60 Corrado sounds bloomin cool.

Thanks

Thanks Keyo . Yeah I would know what to look for now on a Corrado. You don’t have them this long without learning a thing or two .

Also Rob if your Corrado is outside in all weathers like mine is, have you thought about a decent car cover, I bought one recently from Halfords for my Corrado, and it fits great.

This way your car is kept dry especially if it's one of the breathable covers,

and don't feel pressured to get everything done on your Corrado in one hit,

do a bit here and there and then save up some funds over the next few months, or even over a year.

Rob my Corrado has been of the road since early 2015, I've got loads done on it but have still got a few things left to sort out, that's heading towards 5 years for me that my Corrado has been off the road now.

Rob I hope you make the right decision that's right for you, don't feel pressured either way :thumbleft:

Hope this helps

Si

I think I will give the tiger seal a go Si . I’ve used CT1 many times at work and it’s always been good . If I don’t do anything else to the car I need to do this job , I can’t have water coming in . I’ve got a new gasket on it’s way. With regards to the cover , I bought the Halfords all weather cover the other day because water was getting in. It leaked !, the water still got into the car , the body work still got wet . I spoke to Halfords and they said it shouldn’t leak . They swapped it for another one but unfortunately they only had the large cover in stock . I haven’t tried it yet .

I can understand what you are going through, we’ve all been there over the the years. You loose the love when it’s seems it’s one expensive kick in the nuts after another. I think winter makes it worse as well, when there’s so much darkness and rain. What ever you do, I hope it works out for you matey.

As regard the rain cover I think it makes a bit of difference if you put it on upside down, it got a breathable membrane or summet.

Hi Shaun,

Hope all is well

I've noticed that Rado from Northern Ireland that sold last year is now for sale in Sheffield with the rare Recaros leather bolster cloth interior. I bet you would be tempted to do deal if you didnt all ready have a set of leather Recaros.

I've got the gauge pods and Schrick, would really like some front black leather Recaros to finish it off, however I've got to spend the money on the engine I reckon.

Must say though after taking the stock leather seats out my car to do the insulation they weighed a ton which is always a good sign of quality to be fair.

Edited by Keyo

After a lot of thought , ive decided to keep the car . I cant tell you how close i was to selling it or breaking it .

I spoke to Resto shack last week and the car was picked up on thursday . Dave got her in at short notice as it was getting water inside and he had space in the workshop . The plan is to get both the front and rear sills sorted , replace a split gator , the wheels are out of allignment and a few other bits , then she will have a fresh MOT . The leak which i could not fathom out was down to the channel under the three plastic screen scuttle parts , it was full of crap , so the water was going over the channel and getting in to the grill cover . So nothing to do with the new gasket that i fitted . They have fitted another gasket anyway . I went to see Dave this week and both sills have been sorted and were awaiting paint . As the paint shop is so busy the other paint work i wanted doing will have to wait till March . The work includes removing some damaged wax oil and treating these areas . The bonnet some how became seriously scratched after i returned from holiday , i have know idea how this happened , so the bonnet will be stripped back to bare metal and repainted . The sills where the Corrado script sticks to need painting as they are chipped , ive got some mint scripts , theres no point putting these on scruffy sills . I think the OEM door handles i bought will be fitted whilst the MOT work is done . I will fit the new number plate holder when i get the car back ,to replace the colour coded one so the car will be nearly OEM when these bits are added . I hope ive made the right decision !.

Good to hear mate, Your bonnett sounds like a cat has been using it as a scratching matt. pretty common as they like to sit on the warmth of a car that attracts the sun heat.

That’s what other people have said Keyo . I put a cover on the car as we were going on holiday. The last thing I wanted to come home to was crusty bird crap eating the lacquer. I think a cat has been doing that kneeding thing they do with their claws on top of the cover (it was only the breathable cover). Dave said most of it will polish out , which will be good enough till it’s painted. Honestly the bonnet looks awful.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:32 PM, robrado974 said:

That’s what other people have said Keyo . I put a cover on the car as we were going on holiday. The last thing I wanted to come home to was crusty bird crap eating the lacquer. I think a cat has been doing that kneeding thing they do with their claws on top of the cover (it was only the breathable cover). Dave said most of it will polish out , which will be good enough till it’s painted. Honestly the bonnet looks awful.

Maybe this reply will help you login with Tapatalk notifications?