Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Avoid breakdowns - renew which components first?

Still smarting from breaking down yesterday in our High Street due to a 14-year old fuel pump failing without warning, I wondered what similar experiences - or technical knowledge - has taught you guys?

What are the most important components you would replace - within reason - that could cause your engine to totally fail at an inconvenient or dangerous moment?

11-year old coilpack was thing I first thought of and replaced after testing and finding it had cracks. (2006)

What about sensors, or other things?

Crank sensor and fuel pump are the only "Stop you dead" components.

You've done one, now do the other :D

:) Right, kev, will get to it!

You are such a smarta$$, I bet you replaced all these things and more, years ago! :lol: :wink: :salute:

unlikely to cause a problem whilst driving, but I'd do the ignition switch if you haven't replaced it before.

Only thing that's ever stopped me is the fuel tank sender, still reading 1/4 tank when I ran out :lol:

:) Right, kev, will get to it!

You are such a smarta$$, I bet you replaced all these things and more, years ago! :lol: :wink: :salute:

Indeed I am, LOL, and here's my current car :lol:

Smart+rear+end.png

Seriously though, the crank sensor is an old favourite and at 10 years old, I'd be tempted to replace it.... the ignition switch is another good one as mentioned above!

Threads like this are golden. Can't imagine how embarrassing it would be to break down in the high street!

I'll be doing what ever people list on here, not really knowing older cars, it's all good advice imo.

What about fuel lines? I'm sure I have seen them mentioned quite a lot on this 'ere forum?

Threads like this are golden. Can't imagine how embarrassing it would be to break down in the high street!

I'll be doing what ever people list on here, not really knowing older cars, it's all good advice imo.

What about fuel lines? I'm sure I have seen them mentioned quite a lot on this 'ere forum?

I've broken down in a very public place before and people look at you like you've got 5 d1cks hanging out of your flies. What's the big interest? A car with it's bonnet up and a p1ssed off owner staring into the engine bay, big deal!

You'd think they'd seen all before with a Corrado :lol:

None of them stop and help though, the miserable f'ckers. Or again, that could be down to the "F'ck that, it's a Corrado, I'll be there all day helping him" factor :D

Fuel lines- just keep an eye on the rubber ones for perishing, and that includes the ones on the fuel filter. The plastic hard lines clipped to the floor last forever....

Burst water pipe did me good and proper whilst stuck in traffic on the M1

Yes, hoses have to be good. Watch that TOP one on the VR6! - if its the original (unlikely any still around by now?) REPLACE it now - it is bound to be on the point of going.

A set of Samcos was one of the first upgrades I did.

Another vote for the ignition switch, mine got pretty bad that I had to sit and wait for a couple of mins with the ignition on before it would start. And it wouldn't stay on ignition properly, once when going round a roundabout mine decided to jump out of ignition cutting the engnie off, I just kept coasting round until I could start it again! :brickwall: