Sign in to follow this  
Ghillie989

Brakes engaged when cold?

Hello, as in title very very cold start this morning, rear brakes are engaged couldn this be down to water ingress into brake fluid causing it to freeze up a bit, OR also the hand brake doesnt engage so is it that the handbrake cable has frozen into place...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! driving in icy conditions with brakes engaged is uncontrollable as i found out this mornong

Hiya mate, i just posted the exact same yesterday, stripped the handbrake down and found it wasnt that. took the rear o/s wheel off and could see the caliper had seized. id advise to check the same.

I used to have this problem with my 16V. Copious amounts of boiling water on the caliper used to do the trick, however you will get the same problem once the temp drops again.

Might well be frozen water in the handbrake cables. Best bet is to replace them.

I concur with toad this happend to me last year

It's damp in the the handbrake cables freezing. If you have the centre tunnel plastics off, you will see the cables staying in the on position when the handbrake is lowered and if you tap them down, the brakes ease off. Try getting some wd40 down them. Also, just leave your car parked in 1st or reverse gear with the handbrake off.

Its really worth doing the MK4 calliper conversion for this very reason!

MK4 calipers don't help this situation in the slightest :lol:

5 winters with MK4 calipers, 5 winters with frozen rear brakes :D

As said already, if it's not frozen handbrake cables, it'll just be a frozen caliper and heat is the only cure, which you just don't get at the rear of a FWD car unfortunately.

I've had this on a 16v. Frozen handbrake cable. Thawed out over the course of the day and cured its self by dinner time.

I've had this on a 16v. Frozen handbrake cable. Thawed out over the course of the day and cured its self by dinner time.

happened to me on saturday, going to replace the cable I think anyway, but it thawed in an hour or so, not great but did sort itself out

I was talking about seizing in general rather than freezing :p

Also, just leave your car parked in 1st or reverse gear with the handbrake off.

thats the best option atm, its what i do on all our cars.

I was talking about seizing in general rather than freezing :p

Ahhhh :p to you an all....

Been leaving the handbrake off now so it doesnt freeze on over night. Got to work and went to put the handbrake on and it was frozen off! :lol: damn thing!

:lol: quality, had to drag my rear wheels for a bit this morning too as my other half pulled on my handbrake too much so it locked them solid over 2 days :( took me 25 mins to get 15 meters :bad-words: wasn't happy then went down a hill with some serious sideways action on every bend. That was quite fun though as i was free wheeling very slowly so was nice and gentle.

Glad I'm not the only one in this position. Had to get a lift to work :mad2:

Hopefully it will be thawed out once I get home - more xmas pressies to get!

If it isn't thawed is it best to just get some hot water on the rear brakes? tired going forwards and backwards on my drive for about 15 mins but it just wasn't freeing up! :(

thought i would add to this seen as my raddo is outside with frozen handbrake cables :( takes me back to my lancia delta days when i use to keep spare cables soaking in oil then swap them over in winter :lol: think i might get the hair dryer on them :clap:

I knew the forum would help. I am sitting in the house watching the corrado hopefully getting hot, my brakes are frozen to had to drive it out this am to let the wife get to work in the skoda. Am contemplating getting the beast out of her cover and just allow 303 to thaw naturally. :brickwall: :brickwall: