coullstar

Winter/Snow tyre discussion thread

Have a look on the kwikfit site, it's the last place I'd ever look but I got a set of Continental winters for about £250 fitted in 195 50 15

Very annoyingly, it looks as if I have no option to get some too.

An inch of snow this morning, reversed out of the garage, turned car around and headed off in first at about 5mph.

Either direction out of my house is quite a steep slope to the main village road, decided to take the lesser steep slope.

Half way down, slipping and sliding then met another vehicle. applied brakes - nothing !!!!!!!!!, handbrake finally pulled me up.

Apparently further down the hill, 2 - 3 cars, one stuck almost in hedge - no getting past.

Selected reverse - managed 5 foot then slipping and sliding. Came to standstill and unable to move - in an inch of Snow !!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately neighbours, threw sand down behind my front wheels and gently weighted the front of the car enabling me to reverse all the way back and into my garage.

That is where the C is now staying - far to risky - not damaging her for the sake of a inch of snow.

Main road through village is almost clear and the main road to Banbury - hardly any snow on it what so ever.

Stunningly beautiful where I live, no chance of flooding ever - just a bit of a problem in the snow. !!!!!

Sadly now into Taxi fares - again, as no way will I either pay over the odds for Winter tyres now, but as Jim wait till Summer

Cor bloody hell, an inch of snow.

Don't know how we're coping here in Caistor with over a foot.

I know what you mean though, I couldn't get off my girlfriends drive without a push, and that only had 1 cm of compacted snow... yet driving from then to work yesterday/today wasn't a problem in about 4-5 inches.

However it snowed all day since I got into work, and the snow is now up to my bonnet, and the churned snow on the roads is about a foot deep, with the untouched snow twice that nearly...

Leaving the car at work until friday, if I manage to get into a hotel I'll be lucky, and if I get a lift home I'll be even luckier... looks like I'm on LFES!

I'm a convert. I will make sure I have a set of winters every year now and use them as a matter of course from Nov to Feb like the Germans do!

:notworthy:

If only everybody else had that sense.

It's so true that until you experience it for yourself, you won't believe just how much of a difference winter tyres make.

Saw this and thought of winter tyres :cuckoo:

150388_10150328247835165_672350164_16057094_5115235_n.jpg

At lest the headlights look brighter than a Corrado's

And you'll always be able to pick it up and tuc it under your arm to carry it to a more drivable road :)

Not been around for a while, Corrado's been hibernating gently bar the odd weekend thrash and I've mostly been driving my Mk2, which is really nice. Anyway, I have some Conti winter tyres on steels fitted to the GiT - got them free, which is a long story, but kind of handy given that I live on the edge of the Peak - and I'll report back.

I got them mostly because as a mountain biker and mountaineer, I kind of resented being wary of, say, driving to the Lakes last winter because I was worried about the roads being snow covered and getting stuck up there. Anyway... not used them in the snow yet, no real reason to go anywhere, but in cold, wet conditions they're ace. Feel glued to the tarmac, brilliant in the wet, very confidence inspiring.

I also like knowing that my pristine BBS alloys are tucked up warm and salt free in a cupboard and as I'm not really a high mileage driver, I should get at least a couple of winter's use out of them. Anyway, coffee to be drunk. Snow to be gawped at. I'll take the Golf out later and let you know how it gets on in the snow. :)

The challange for today after Kip has had his Wednesday 'day off lie in'.

Cracking weather youy've got. Wish we had some of that here :( Colleague of mine was down from Newcastle last Thursday, left Bristol at 3pm for a flight home, delayed 3 hrs, then diverted to Edinburgh, finally got home at 3:45am on Friday morning :shock:

Snow chains by January!

I know how I keep going on about my winter tyres, but they really are amazing! I work in the funeral business and after taking my boss for out for a ride in the Corrado we now have a set of winter tyres on one of the removal vehicles (private ambulance) - he's a convert and says the hearse and limo's will get them soon too :)

Anyway, this morning we had roughly 18" of snow on my drive. With a little bit of effort the Corrado got out and all the way to work through my usual country lane route. I couldn't take the main road because a fallen tree had blocked the way. I couldn't resist stopping for a few pictures:

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

I should add that the amount of snow on the front of the car was impeding airflow to the radiator somewhat, hence the open windows and the heater on full power - the engine works hard in these sort of conditions! I cleared it all out before leaving work this afternoon.

A smaller fallen tree nearly blocked the lane too:

IMAG0004.jpg

Finally made it to work, after stopping on the way to pick up 3 of my colleagues who were walking:

IMAG0005.jpg

And the only other vehicle to make it in to work - slight difference!! The Corrado is fantastic, literally hasn't put a tyre wrong:

IMAG0006.jpg

Winter tyres, oh yes :D

Which tyres did you opt for PurpleTom ?

I am really impressed in the conditions you have driven in.

Have you got a Snow Plough on the front ?? :lol: :lol:

I have spent most of the afternoon searching for Winter Tyres - in 205/50/15 - none in the Country, well not below £80 per corner - I do refuse to be so completly ripped off. And........ £320 will buy me quite alot of taxi fares.

The route from my house out of the village is even getting worse with its one inch of snow, due to that freezing, light snowfall last night and freezing again.

I went for a walk earlier to check it out.

There is absoultely no Grit in any of the grit bins in the village - annoying as this means we - the locals - can't even help ourselves. :roll:

no need to stick to 205s for winters Wendy, you should find a lot more choice in 195s i think (as you do for summers often too)

David - I spotted earlier that people had commented on this - however I am not fully understanding.

Of course I know the 195/205 is the width of the tyre.

But how does this fit on a Standard speedline ?

Does not the tyre get damaged due to being on a wheel of not the same size ?

I did speak to a few fitters when ringing around this afternoon and none of them had heard of this being done or would recommend it.

Another question - are the Corrado's more of a pain in the snow than some other vehicles of say less power, weight - even if driven equally carefully. ?

Technically if you have a 15in tyre it will fit on a Speedline. The 45/50 etc is the profile or sidewall depth. 195/205 is the width in mm. Theres next to no difference between them so dont worry about it.

its only tyre stretch wendy :)

for example its the same as everybody who has 7.5in wide 17in wheels still uses 205s even though their wheels are an inch wider than speedlines

but some valvers and G60 came with 195s on 6.5in wheels anyway so its no issue (and most 195 summer tyres are about 60% of the price too because its a much more common size)

195/50 gives you a LOT more choice!

For summer I would stick to 205/50 though, so 2 sets of Speedlines is handy.

They look a bit skinny from behind but frankly, traction is more important that 'stance' :D

They look fine from the side though.

Img_0101.jpg

Nope, Corrados are no worse than any other car in Winter. Winter rubber utterly transforms them. They find grip you wouldn't believe was possible!

Thanks guys, I will try for 195's tomorrow.

I can't afford to stay at home everyday there is an inch of snow on the ground and besides it plays havoc with my social life !!! :lol:

195/50 gives you a LOT more choice!

For summer I would stick to 205/50 though, so 2 sets of Speedlines is handy.

They look a bit skinny from behind but frankly, traction is more important that 'stance' :D

They look fine from the side though.

Img_0101.jpg

Nope, Corrados are no worse than any other car in Winter. Winter rubber utterly transforms them. They find grip you wouldn't believe was possible!

Kev, your car is lovely but wtf is up with the exhaust tip.....? :lol:

Kev, good to see you got some snow so as to check how good the winter tyres are.

took my G60 BBSs to get the tyres fitted and forgot the right bolts so I'll have to fit them on the drive tomorrow on my day off. :lol: :lol:

:epicfail: