Sign in to follow this  
Erny

Power steering, yes or no

Does or has anyone on ere drive or drove there corrado without powersteering? If so how is or was it?

It's been talked about before and was universally regarded as a terrible idea. Even if you were to remove the PAS rack, even with standard 15" alloys I think the steering would be WAY too heavy. If you had bigger alloys fitted, I think it'd be undrivable

Yeh I was also gunna ask what size wheels people had used if they had, I've seen show rados were it's been removed to tidy the bays, but that isn't why i'm intrested, more about gaining alittle extra room at the tunnel entrance

I drove a G60 Corrado with no PAS or supercharger for a few weeks and it was OK on the move, like Kev says it wasn't very easy to park!

I wouldn't recommend removing it all together.

Yeah PAS is only really useful at low speeds for parking, once you are moving then the wheel turns easily enough.

My old mk2 didn't have power steering and even with a 280 steering wheel was fine, parkin was a bit of a ballache but I generally try not to park any were difficult anyways invade some other pratts havin a hard time parkin n dings ya, I do plan to keep my power steering but I'm intreste in syncro, and squeezing an exuast in the tunel with the propshaft is gunna be a tight squeeze, I'm simply tryin to find out as much as possible to help prepare me for the headaches and help with the shoppin list,

The Americans seem to do this a fair bit, and I really don't understand why :shrug:

I have a mk2 with manual steering, and although it has a little more feedback than the Corrado it is a slower rack so it is less direct, and less stable at speed. It feels a lot less 'planted' than the Corrado does. They have the same size tyres, and the same suspension.

The other way is just running a power rack with no power assistance, but that is horrible to live with in a daily driver, as its just so heavy.

I don't think a manual rack will save you any space in the tunnel anyway - its pretty much the same size & shape as the power rack, but without the pipes, and they're on the end or front of the rack anyway.

Removing the powersteering rack and using a low spec mk3 subframe(no powersteering) would gain me about an inch an half in height and maybe ten across, I should have wrote all my measurements wen I was sat were the engine usually is.

Drove today with no powersteering belt, and the corrado realy is heavy to drive, I know comparing to a mk2 without powersteering isn't ideal, but the handling of the two cars is drastically different, the mk2 without powersteering wasn't all that bad to park, but the rado was real heavy on easy simple turns, a three point turn was a work out, at higher speeds it wasn't noticeable. That's with 16x6.5 wheels up front

James A friend of mine has a mk2vr from up your neck of the woods, that also dunt have powersteering. It is a bit of effort to manuver incomparison to the mk2vr I had with power steering and my old mk2 valver without, after driving my valver rado without today ied hate to imagine what a vr rado without is like.

Drove today with no powersteering belt, and the corrado realy is heavy to drive, I know comparing to a mk2 without powersteering isn't ideal, but the handling of the two cars is drastically different, the mk2 without powersteering wasn't all that bad to park, but the rado was real heavy on easy simple turns, a three point turn was a work out, at higher speeds it wasn't noticeable. That's with 16x6.5 wheels up front

James A friend of mine has a mk2vr from up your neck of the woods, that also dunt have powersteering. It is a bit of effort to manuver incomparison to the mk2vr I had with power steering and my old mk2 valver without, after driving my valver rado without today ied hate to imagine what a vr rado without is like.

By doing this you are pushing cold hydraulic fluid around manually with no pump assistance - no wonder it's heavy!

That's a lot different than driving a car with a manual rack...

I think the PAS on Corrado's is just setup perfect, would never remove it, especially on a G60 or VR!

Yeah, a manual rack is no where near as heavy as a PAS rack with no pump assistance.

Disconnected PAS racks seem to turn in notches too, feels very weird!

The Americans seem to do this a fair bit, and I really don't understand why :shrug:

they rarely have to drive around corners :lol:

Haha, ied not thought about the p.s rack being heavier anyways cause of the fluid, learn something new everyday,

You can't compair a car with the PAS disconnected to a car with a manual rack,

the 1 with PAS disconnected is by far heavier dan 1 with a manaul rack.

My corrado track car has a manual rack out of a mk2 and is not that heavy,

and it has 17" with 205 tyres.