Sign in to follow this  
yorkshireone

Massive overhaul - What would it cost?

Hey everyone. Its been a while.

The last time I drove the car in anger was on the legendary CF Nurburgring trip back in 2008! Since then she has laid dormant in a dark corner of a friends bodyshop, collecting dust whilst I did my RAF basic training.

Well, the time has come to look for a new car and I've more or less decided on a MkIV R32. However, I can't get rid of this niggling though which is telling me to spend my money overhauling the Corrado. It just seems to make sense. I could spend the best part of £10,000 on a decent R32, and have a good looking, practical performance V6. It just won't be the Corrado though and that's where I come to the point of these ramblings.

I had looked at getting the VR refurbed, but when you're looking at £1200-£3000 for a solid rebuild you are soon into engine conversion territory. This got me thinking. What could you do to a Corrado for £10000? Mine has 150,000 on the clock now, however the bodywork is solid, and the interior is in excellent condition.

I priced up estimated costs for stuff I could find on the PSI website, however some of these prices don't include labour, and some are uneducated guesses. Here's what I have so far;

PSI Tuning

2.8/3.2 24v Engine conversion £5000

Clutch £500

Quaife LSD £643

Eibach anti roll bar kit £225.43

ECS Stage 3 brake kit Frint £1500

ECS Stage 1 brake kit Rear £480

Suspension Overhaul (Bushings) £300

Audio + Alarm refit £800

Paint £600

BBS LM reps + Tyres £600

TOTAL ~£10500

So and eyewatering £10000. But when you consider that at the end of it you would have a very well sorted R32/2.8 24v rado it kind of seems worth it.

I don't know. What are your thoughts? Are these costs realistic? I'm going to ring PSI tomorrow if they are open and have a chat.

I'll leave it with you.

Jay :?

seems a little shy to be honest. bump up with labour costs to £2-3000

add a grand on to paint and your more likely to be there.

shame you missed the 4wd r32 corrado £7500 a few months ago. FUC*ING BARGAIN!!!!!

If you did the work yourself you'd save yourself a fortune!

do a 312 brake conversion up front, and leave the rears standard, just make them good, that'll save you a 1.5k,

Do the mechanicals of the engine conversion (which is quite easy tbh) and get VAG doctor to do the electrics, 3-4k for a good engine conversion.

£500 for a clutch!! Just use the standard VR one, it's fine for 250 hp

Saves you a total of 3-4k, which will account for all the bits we've missed!

like you say, some of those prices dont include labour, but there's also some also overlap and therefore you dont need to count them twice.

for example though, theres no point in buying new brakes (for 1500) when you can do a 2nd hand brembo set up for 800, but overall cost, incl fitting, brake lines, bearings, rears etc will end up being £2k yes

paint is obviously down to how much it needs, bushes you seem to already have in your sig but replacing them all will cost more in parts and labour than 300. clutches dont cost 500 but fitted they do, but then if the engines being replaced thats covered already. if you're putting in a quaife and a new engine though you might as well get a gearbox rebuild as well, and that put those hundreds back.

so in short, 10k will very likely get you what you want, but it will still be a car thats 10 years older than the r32 with other bits still wearing out or going rusty (switches, interior, subframes/beams etc.)

but if you're not driving it millions of miles though then you dont need to do a full restore so its down to what you're happy with. personally would want something more than "just" a 24v if i was spending 5k though. are you just wanting to hand it over to someone and them do everything or could you take a bit more of a role in it?

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The problem is that due to the nature of my work, I don't have a garage, or indeed the time to do anything myself which is a pain in the arse. I'm just trying to weigh up the cost of R32 vs. the possibilities of a drive in drive out conversion with £10k.

You mention the 4x4 Corrado, there is the option of just buying someone elses hard labour and using my car for spares...

Personlly i'd buy an R32. At least it'll be worth something after you've bought it. Once you've spent 10k on your Corrado, it'll still only be worth 5!

You want to contact ACR based in near Croft Circuit in Durham, will be a lot lot cheaper than PSI, there work is perfect too. Would basically do a full overhaul to your own spec. Have a look at this for an example of their work http://www.section-5.net/showthread.php?t=2941

I would definately want a Corrado over an R32 but I have to say though if I had that much money I think I'd just buy a mint low mileage Storm for around 5k and add a few tasty extra's.

Is the idea of asking the forum for people to carryout specific mods for you feasible? Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a company.

Unless you love your Corrado, like I do :luvlove: forget it. It's a money pit!! :lol:

As the man said:-

by KipVR » 06.02.2010, 22:50

Personlly i'd buy an R32. At least it'll be worth something after you've bought it. Once you've spent 10k on your Corrado, it'll still only be worth 5!

Do yourself a favour. Get rid and get an R32.

keep the dream alive Jamie!! :D

what is actually wrong with your C?

Brakes you can sort for £500. And that is using 4 pot Brembos (I have a spare pair of Aston Martin DB9s) with Seat CR 323 discs which will be plenty of stopping power 8)

To be honest I think you would be a lot happier with really nice 300bhp Mk5 Gti :ignore: And if you can find a lock up for the Corrado for weekend use then even better.

Dont really want to say that, but I think it is the sensible option and that you would be just as happy. Car wise and bank balance wise! :grin:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

The problem is that due to the nature of my work, I don't have a garage, or indeed the time to do anything myself which is a pain in the arse. I'm just trying to weigh up the cost of R32 vs. the possibilities of a drive in drive out conversion with £10k.

You mention the 4x4 Corrado, there is the option of just buying someone elses hard labour and using my car for spares...

Get down to the SIF wherever you are based and get your name on the garage rental list.

For 5 grand you should really be able to get a 12v VR block rebuilt and turboed, Stealth do some kits now.

Full rebuild, then a Stealth VR-Turbo conversion... as well as rebuild the suspension, rebush everything, gearbox rebuild, etc... you'd be comfortably within your 10k budget and have a 360BHP car which would trash most stuff in a straight line :)

Get down to the SIF wherever you are based and get your name on the garage rental list.

What's the SIF?

Work related thing for us RAF types, they look after any garages on the unit and rent them out.

What's the SIF?

Work related thing for us RAF types, they look after any garages on the unit and rent them out.

Do you know how much they usually rent for? Not sure how many there are at Cranditz but it's worth a crack!!

Saw a lovely R32 this morning. Going for another look on Tues. However, it's not all doom and gloom. The corrado is getting MOT'd on Wednesday then into the bodyshop next week for a touch up. Hopefully I can get a garage at Cranwell to keep her in :D

keep the dream alive Jamie!! :D

what is actually wrong with your C?

Brakes you can sort for £500. And that is using 4 pot Brembos (I have a spare pair of Aston Martin DB9s) with Seat CR 323 discs which will be plenty of stopping power 8)

Nothing wrong with it old boy. It's just been sat doing bugger all for a year in the shitty weather. No doubt something will be broken for the MOT!

Full rebuild, then a Stealth VR-Turbo conversion... as well as rebuild the suspension, rebush everything, gearbox rebuild, etc... you'd be comfortably within your 10k budget and have a 360BHP car which would trash most stuff in a straight line :)

Even if I didnt have the time to lift a spanner? Work is pretty intense for the next 3 years so doing anything myself is out of the question! :(

The Stealth stage 1 turbo kit is around £4,400... factor in some upgrades as well such as a better clutch, getting the gearbox rebuilt, getting the engine rebuilt whilst it's all apart... would save on labour getting stuff done at the same time, and I'm sure it'd comfortably come in under £10,000 which would leave you money for a suspension rebush and some decent coilovers perhaps.

Thanks for the input gents. After much deliberation I've decided to keep the Corrado and give her the TLC she deserves.

The battery is in my kitchen charging as we speak and tomorrow I will attempt to start it for the first time in almost a year! Are there any things I should do, apart from turning the key and hoping for the best? I was considering putting some redex in the first tank of juice to clean her out.

Jay

Missed this thread over the weekend but you have made the right choice although I wouldnt put 10k into a Corrado, not at once anyway. I would think carefully about engine choice at the moment. If there is nothing wrong with the one you have at the moment then dont worry too much about engine conversions. Your car sounds like it is good condition as it is so a simple brake upgrade would be good. If your going 24v route get an R32 engine if you can. Remapped ones seem to be close to 260-270bhp where as remapped 2.8 like mine is 220bhp ish. Ive got a sachs standard clutch and it fine.

Be careful with firms that do conversions and do a lot of homework. Im a little dissapointed with the finishing touches and some aspect of my PSI conversion that I know I would have taken more care of it I had done it myself.

Would also agree with the comment of the Mk5 Gti over the Mk4 R32 or how about the 4mo like mine and keep the Corrado as well if you do want a change.

What you looking to do in the RAF? Ive been down to Cranwell a few times when I was looking at becoming an engineering officer but decided it wasnt for me.

Missed this thread over the weekend but you have made the right choice although I wouldnt put 10k into a Corrado, not at once anyway. I would think carefully about engine choice at the moment. If there is nothing wrong with the one you have at the moment then dont worry too much about engine conversions. Your car sounds like it is good condition as it is so a simple brake upgrade would be good. If your going 24v route get an R32 engine if you can. Remapped ones seem to be close to 260-270bhp where as remapped 2.8 like mine is 220bhp ish. Ive got a sachs standard clutch and it fine.

Be careful with firms that do conversions and do a lot of homework. Im a little dissapointed with the finishing touches and some aspect of my PSI conversion that I know I would have taken more care of it I had done it myself.

Would also agree with the comment of the Mk5 Gti over the Mk4 R32 or how about the 4mo like mine and keep the Corrado as well if you do want a change.

What you looking to do in the RAF? Ive been down to Cranwell a few times when I was looking at becoming an engineering officer but decided it wasnt for me.

Hey, cheers for your thoughts.

I graduated from Cranwell in November and I'm due to start flying training on March 1st. It certainly isn't for everyone and IOT was a ballache to say the least!!

Yeah my Corrado is in good condition if I'm honest. Needless to say there are a few little bits that I'm not happy with but it's always like that. There a little rust spot just appeared around the filler cap and a tiny bit on the O/S front arch but I'm going to get those seen to in the next couple of weeks. Are you running a 312mm brake upgrade?

The idea of an engine conversion is appealing, although like I've mentioned before I simply don't have the time or expertise to tackle something on that scale. Flying training is going to be pretty intense so I won't have much time for anything in the next year or two. I'm tempted to just run the VR until it dies. Never had a problem with the engine in 3yrs, it's just a bit tappety now and it pisses me off to listen to it.

Need to get some nice audio in there too, just sold my head unit in my passat! Where about's in Scotland are you? I've lived in Aberdeen the last five years but had to move away for work now. Just spent 2 months at Leuchars too.

Flight training, good luck with that. Always wanted to be a pilot hence why I didnt want to end up fixing them for a living.

Funnily enough Im in Aberdeen and have been for the last 5 years.