Sign in to follow this  
vagman

Day 2 day life with a your corrado!

Mine's a daily workhorse I'm afraid. Used by me, and when she demands, by the missus. I've used Volkswagens of various flavours from about 1980 and have found thet if you treat them precious they get annoyed and just want more attention. Use them every day and, like a happy little pussycat they just keep on going. A little care and attention in advance saves bigger problems later. Bought the C about 10 years go and done over 12,000 miles and never been off the road for more than a couple of days.

On that note, it's a 1990 1.8 16 v without a sunroof or any other frills like MAF's or superchargers or factory immobilisers or coilpacks or any of the other complicated stuff that came later, so there is lot's less to go wrong. Simple, straightforward and goes quick enough to keep me happy. I love my little Corrado, and it doesn't have a name.

Mines a daily, I like to drive her too much to leave her tucked up and use anything else. Added to the fact that I don't actually have a garage to keep her in!

Vera gets it, no matter what the weather. Wind rain or shine!

Its a car, so it gets driven :)

My wife uses it for work, not 'daily' as such as she works from home but she uses it to go to meetings etc, I try to take it out once a week for a spin just to remind me why we bother with a 15 year old VW!

Having said that, the paintwork on mine is far from perfect and it was an all round cheap VR6 bought for daily use so I suppose that makes a difference. We're considering getting a low mileage minter so maybe I wouldn't be as care free with that? but I'm not sure that owning a drivers car like a Corrado and not using it regularly wouldn't sit right with me :shrug:

Mines an everyday car, done nearly 50k in the last 5/6 years, not really put a foot wrong. They're incredibly tough cars imo. Mine gets used on some seriously bad roads, gets some serious spanking when the roads are clear and did amazingly well in the recent snow and ice. Loads of good clean oil every 6k miles and regular use really seems to help, although the bodywork is going to need some attention after the recent weather.

Mine's been my daily for almost a yr now, and he loves it! (no plate ends in HUW - Huey). No garage tho, so he stays out in the cold unfortunately, I'd like one for the night time tho. There's also little brats around here and non-respecting neighbours. (The kid's used my Dusty Mauve mk3's (Dave) bonnet once as a chalkboard!! And not just normal chalk, LUMPS of chalk rock from the Westbury White Horse!!) So I would keep him inside if I had the opportunity, but during all weather he's out and about!

Unfortunately got made redundant end of Jan, so this past month he's been sat on the driveway, but I'll take him out every other day to warm him up, take him for a good spin (and the fact I can't wait to get behind the wheel!! :nuts:). Besides, it's not as though I've got much on!? :norty:

Dont know about you guys, but as mine is in a heated garage over the bad months its all ready to roll :grin:

I've been pondering on that. Is your garage attached to the house and is it insulated? I've been thinking about insulating the roof and and running an radiator off the central heating in there :D Working on cars in winter is horrible, but a heated garage would soon restore the motivation!

but i would like to say this to you guys and girls that run yours all year round, i take my hat off to you all :notworthy: I sit here and read all the problems whether it be breakdowns, stolen C's, vandalisim, genral wear and tear, accidents.

Law of averages. The more it's on the road, the greater chance of theft, accidents and wear and tear! Hence why insurance for daily drivers is more than classic car schemes. Over 7 years and 110K, I've had one very minor non-fault prang and 4 break downs. And of those 4 break downs, 4 were all caused by me :D I'd say that's pretty good going. No car park dings, vandalism, nothing. It's as much as being careful as it is luck.

So who else only plays out in the sunshine! And who of you drive come rain or shine???

Every day, all year round. No offense, but I just can't see the point of locking a car away half it's life. It's built to be driven and drive it I do :D It's not like it's a festering old Morris Minor that will crumble to dust at the first sign of water.

Garage is built on side of house! Breaze block internal walls, stone on out side. New build house so radiator was fitted incase another room was needed.

Like this thread !

My Corrado lives outside & gets driven daily (when its working LOL) in any & all weathers i bought it as a daily runner & its get used for everythng from ferry family about, towing friends cars transporting skis & bikes and getting a good blast down a favourite b road !

I am lucky enough to have a garage but 'Corine the Corrado' LOL only gets in there when shes getting fixed or polished as my weekend-warrior a classic Mini lives in there now after i drove it for 6 years doing all the same things & more in worse weather that the Corrado now does !

Thats the main reason i bought the Corrado, to have something slightly more practical and almost as much fun otherwise the daily commute is just to boring ! LOL

Graeme

This is my daily drive! 1.0 litre 123000 on the clock! FSH runs like a new'un :luvlove: lol. Got a lot of time off in march so "BUD'C" will be out and about. To be honest i thought there was more of you out there with daily runners and your corrados tucked away. I only bought this to keep the C a bit more preserved.

I just couldn't leave my Corrado in a garage for all those months without using it. I run the original as a daily and the VRT tends to be used as and when. It did get covered when I used to go away as the missus complained about trying to juggle using 3 cars. I am now at home for the forseeable future so they will both be used. In fact took the VRT up to N.Wales last week. It a :luvlove: thing :grin:

I just couldn't leave my Corrado in a garage for all those months without using it. I run the original as a daily and the VRT tends to be used as and when. It did get covered when I used to go away as the missus complained about trying to juggle using 3 cars. I am now at home for the forseeable future so they will both be used. In fact took the VRT up to N.Wales last week. It a :luvlove: thing :grin:

Well thats sort of my plan... run the polo for a few years and build up the second car NCD then buy a second corrado, something i wont mind too much about, i mean how cool would that be! :grin: But who knows prices might have shot up buy then.

buy a second corrado, something i wont mind too much about, i mean how cool would that be!

I can tell you something. You will always care about the Corrado whether it be your daily or garaged one. The problem is with 2 you have to split your funds which is hard going. My original needs a bit of a tidy and this year was going to be that year but the VRT came along and took all its funds on some new brakes and little tweeks so now its 2011 b4 the original gets its just deserts

The problem is with 2 you have to split your funds which is hard going.

Which is why i spend on my daily as then i get to enjoy the fruits of my labour and hard earned folding. Oh and the fact that a rusty bay camper absorbs the rest of my money :D

I bought it thinking I would use it only in good weather, being a classic and all sorts of stuff running through my head.

But then I got to the stage where I thought I can't do it anymore, I used to limit the miles that I'd put on per week, but now I don't care. Its my daily car now anyway, for that reason that I wasn't going to keep it locked up for any reason.

So whatever the weather, it comes out to play! In fact, half of the time, I enjoy it more when its raining or when the conditions are more challenging rather than dry cos you can have more of a play.

The car is solid, its taken a HELL of a lot of abuse from me and its still standing strong. The car does need attention in terms of needing a really good wash but thats my own fault.

Use it everyday mate, you know you want to! :wink: :norty:

I juggled with the idea of a 2nd car - but just couldn't see the sense of double raod tax / insurance / MOT etc.

Then, after owning the Storm for a few months now, found it to be a bloody solid car (god, I bet it's little ears are burning :lol: ) starts everytime and flew through the recent snowy weather, passing newer cars stuck in ditches etc.

Mileage is 129,000 now, but I don't drive much during the working week :gag: , but love it and live on the weekends or when the long weekends come back around.

Even my 4min drive to the Station is great fun / just sitting in it, looking round the cabin :notworthy:

Use it everyday mate, you know you want to! :wink: :norty:

LOL mmmm i must admit i am getting sick of looking at it in the garage.

Bought mine as a daily in Jan, and then started tinkering, started replacing the stereo and got carried away, and its still not back on the road.

So day to day Im using my van, the Mrs XC90 and if the suns out my old C2-2.5 Alpina but to be honest, thats likely to get used less than the Storm

Its my second rado, previous being a 90 16v, and Im smitten by it, I just wish I was happy to start using it, rather than thinking I'll just do this, then something else, such that I've changed everything before I drive it. Guess I just like tinkering, I dunno