Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

This project is so exciting! Really enjoyed watching it come together.

I had a Devils Own kit when I was going to go Rotrex and it was a very good bit of kit. The support forum is also really good,with some well-informed people.

Good luck getting it mapped on Monday, will be interested to hear a few sound clips once done, as I've not really heard a Rotrex VR for a while!

Rams,

When on the rollers next week, keep an eye on the flexible inlet pipe running across the front, if it starts to 'shorten' under acceleration, your'll be creating a flow restriction. If it doesn't then your ok. just something to bear in mind to extract the most performance from your charger.

Matt

Thanks for the tip, I haven't actually picked up the car yet. I went to watch the Micky Flanagan show at the BIC tonight, he's one funny guy! During the interval I check my phone and its' a message saying she's ready dude! So tomorrow I can have my first test drive.

Also a good friend of mine told me that he's got 2 weeks starting Monday so he's going to saddle up with me.

Tyres ordered from Nigel, top man for sorting that for me and next week I can get them fitted.

---------- Post added at 1:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:21 AM ----------

This project is so exciting! Really enjoyed watching it come together.

I had a Devils Own kit when I was going to go Rotrex and it was a very good bit of kit. The support forum is also really good,with some well-informed people.

Good luck getting it mapped on Monday, will be interested to hear a few sound clips once done, as I've not really heard a Rotrex VR for a while!

Cheers mate, I will take a few videos but the sound may not be so good.

I need to call the insurance company tomorrow and get the charger added, I will be wearing a tight belt! Lol

Craig thinks when it's mapped it will probably be around 330/340 BHP? Time will tell but really I don't care, I just want to have some fun driving it. It's what I've always wanted. Worked like an Egyptian donkey to pay for it all! Which reminds me, I don't know how much my bill is yet for all that work?!?! I should probably spend most of tomorrow morning sat down!

Edited by Rams

Well, I picked her up today, went for a drive to TPS and picked up a new expansion tank as mine was faulty, that's fixed the low level light issue as when we linked the plug wires the light went off so we knew it was the tank at fault.

It's been raining and therefore I have planted my foot at all, I'm kind of driving it like I'm running it in and it feels like it just wants to go, i mean really go! I should probably take it easy as the injectors are standard and the meth fuse pulled till I arrive at Stealth on Monday.

The horn doesn't sound right, I kept pressing it and then the fuse blew. So maybe when the horns were repositioned there's been a fault. Had to move them for the filter. Hopefully it's something simple.

I've got a fog light bulb out.

Plus the alarm keeps going off. Hopefully something I can resolve tomorrow. Must be one of the switches?

Need to get the stereo gear back in and give the car a good wash. Here's a pic of the install. Overall neat and tidy.

This is the chap that's done all the hard work, Chubby.. He's done a great job and wants drive it when it's mapped.

Good tidy install, what power are you expecting?

I had a new tank fitted by VW and not long after the water light started to flash in the car every so often. Is this what yours was doing?

It started ages ago, off and on and then stayed on constantly and it's quite annoying. So if you link a wire between the plug connections and then see if the light stops flashing then its probably the tank itself as its cured it for me today. I even bought a new temp sensor switch just incase and my guy said trust me its the tank and we replaced it and light stopped.

I'm not really expecting too much, when I change the engine and the way it's cooled etc then I will be looking at the 400's, till then, 300 plus will do nicely.

Which flavour Rotrex you running Rams? Have you done any GB work yet to aid traction too? Very nice install by the way, look forward to seeing the Dyno Plots!

It's the c30 94 Rotrex with a 90mm pulley. I will take along the 80mm one just Incase we can use it. I do have a Quaife box but its not installed yet, wanted to get everything running first and see how it goes and then look at traction. I'm really considering what to do here, I may just keep things sensible or go the whole 9 yards, bit like my personality. Lol

There are a few things I'd like to change with pipe work and need to remove the cable tie holding the meth controller but generally its all nicely in place. I think re locating the battery for more space will be on the cards.

Going to try and fit the boost gauge this afternoon, be interesting to see what's its running now.

Noticed today that the thin plastic tube that runs from the washer tank to the inlet for the meth was deformed and split. It's deformed with the heat so replaced the pipe with new and routed it behind the heat wrap in the bulk head and so far so good. Before it came across and into the inlet and looked to be quite a tight fit so have left some excess so its not under tension.

I've got a length of heat wrap that came off my old my lambda sensor so will use that as an extra measure. There is quite a bit of heat being given off the 6 Branch, even though its wrapped.

Stereo re fitted and sound deadened the boot floor, the stuff was quite easy to use and will be doing the doors next.

Thanks buddy, just giving her a clean and vac and last few checks and setting off early, looking forward to the trip!

Will give you a shout next week for a curry.

Good luck today! You're in good hands with Vince!

Edited by poll250

I'm loving reading this thread, I'm so anxious to get mine on and running just wish I had all the money now :(.

I would love to see and hear this in person when it's done!!

Hey, here at Stealth an Vince said my MAF is faulty, its only reading upto a certain figure on the first run . He's tried getting a new one but none available till tomorrow. Would anyone be near and have a working obd2 MAF I could buy?? Long shot but would save me a return journey.

Cheers

Rams

Funnily enough I was there on Saturday and Vince said to me he had a chap coming in with a Corrado and a Rotrex charger - and immediately thought it must be you. The bizarre thing that means ANOTHER Storm in the workshop! When I was there on Saturday there were four Corrado's in there, ALL were Storms (3 Mystic Blue, 1 Classic Green) and you've only added to that now making it 5 Storms. Never seen that before!! :)

There are a few VW dealers in the area - Listers VW in Banbury, Listers VW in Coventry and I think Spirit in Leamington Spa - might be worth ringing around. You never know - they might just have one on the shelf?

Edited by Jim

Called up and there's no where close enough branch wise. But thanks for heads up.

I called my local place and they checked everywhere.

I've seen a few storms here, Corrado land

Can they not use one of the MAFs from the other storms in the workshop until a new one turns up tomorrow? Id imagine all Storms would be late CP ECU type so will have the 4-pin MAF that's interchangeable?

Funnily enough I was there on Saturday

Funnily enough, I'm there this Saturday :D

Yeah, using a MAF from the other storms is a good plan. Vince would have already thought of that though, so maybe they're not compatible as the CP ECU is kind of OBD1.1 service pack 3, and not the full OBD2.

Mines an obd2 MAF so unless one of them has been converted to obd2?

Looks like today was a bit of bad luck, the obd port wouldn't communicate with his computer so he rigged up his own wires to my fuse board and that sorted it. I almost had to come home when he said he's sorted a way to do it and i was happy but I have a fault somewhere with my wiring from board to obd2 port.

Then I thought I was home and dry and once he showed me he can't get re full MAF reading and therefore he can't complete the map. He had 312 bhp at .9 boost which is 13 psi I believe. So he said once the new MAF is fitted and we start the meth we should see a bigger increase in BHP. Maybe somewhere around 340?

The next date available is re 11th April. Once I replace the MAF it may not run so well as its been mapped on the existing which one of the sensors is bent. Or he said if its runs ok then fair enough but I've got to stay off boost and cruise home. So my plan of pushing it a bit is out the window. Oh well.

Have been impressed with Vince so far.

That's a shame about the MAF, but those are still strong figures.

Are you running the 90mm pulley for 13psi aswell?? I was planning to use 80mm on the same charger!!

Funnily enough I was there on Saturday and Vince said to me he had a chap coming in with a Corrado and a Rotrex charger - and immediately thought it must be you. The bizarre thing that means ANOTHER Storm in the workshop! When I was there on Saturday there were four Corrado's in there, ALL were Storms (3 Mystic Blue, 1 Classic Green) and you've only added to that now making it 5 Storms. Never seen that before!! :)

There are a few VW dealers in the area - Listers VW in Banbury, Listers VW in Coventry and I think Spirit in Leamington Spa - might be worth ringing around. You never know - they might just have one on the shelf?

How did mine look Jim?

Yeah mine being one of them how was mine looking?

She's looking good, they were all looking good to be fair.

I'm telling you, I was actually bricking it when I heard it roaring away on the rollers! I was right next to it winding up and had to walk away.

Booked in again for the 11th so need to buy a new bosch MAF sensor and explore my wiring for the OBD reader. I haven't got far to trace.

She's looking good, they were all looking good to be fair.

I'm telling you, I was actually bricking it when I heard it roaring away on the rollers! I was right next to it winding up and had to walk away.

Booked in again for the 11th so need to buy a new bosch MAF sensor and explore my wiring for the OBD reader. I haven't got far to trace.

Cool was it still in bits eg engine out etc?

New MAF and you should be laughing by the sounds of it mate

That's a shame about the MAF, but those are still strong figures.

Are you running the 90mm pulley for 13psi aswell?? I was planning to use 80mm on the same charger!!

80 mm will probably be too much but it depends on your mods and cooling. I bought a new 90 mm pulley as my charger came with an 80mm to lower the boost.

Once he knew I had change the rod bolts and head bolts and the engine spacer he felt more comfortable. I could do with some extra forms of cooling.

The sound today was just incredible, it was ridiculously loud!