Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

good idea craig lets have a mini meet before the weather turns crappy im always free and about:)

Those seats look very well done! I've some recaro a8s that I'd like trimming after Xmas could I have details for the person who did them please?

Hey

The chap is called Tim, I've just texting him asking if he's fine with me putting his number down... Sure it will be but would like to ask first...

I warn you now, you will get the bug! Even spoke to him about a customer who called their company asking to trim alloy wheels and that someone he knows who's a trimmer has re trimmed most of his house including banister and spindles etc!

A meet definitely sounds like a good idea, once Craig has his beast sorted we should rendezvous. Be a perfect opportunity to see and feel what the R32 is like.

Tim just text back saying he's not allowed to advertise in effect so I am able to pass his number via pm. Please PM me if you would like it.

I'm always thinking about the next stage with my car and I think that I'm still not sure what direction to take? Always like the VR sound and always leaned more towards a VR Turbo. I have a spare engine and box from obd2 golf 2.8 as recommended due to bore thickness but don't know where to start with engine spacer or low comp pistons and what ratio they should be so then I started to think, charged VR would be easy enough to get it on and running properly and now with all the r32 boys doing the conversion - makes it seem more modern and sensible and a stronger building point if you want more and more out of the engine.

If anyone has any advice re engines or a good way forward I would appreciate hearing them. Also taking into consideration that I would like to make it 4 wheel drive eventually.

Are there any advantages that I have OBD2 with the supercharger or Turbo route? Are they easier to map/setup?

Ultimately a reliable fast 4 wheel drive car C is my ultimate goal.

Ok mate I'll pm you in a second....

Yeah a little meet with a few of us could be cool, always good to see what others have done/are up to!

Got to say I'm pretty impressed with the r32, I had wanted to do the conversion on my old vr, but plans changed and actually buying one already done especially by Kev and Stealth has certainly saved me a ton of hassle and I expect money also! The thing that is so impressive is that it is smooth and can be driven quite sedately in traffic etc, then when desired its really very rapid indeed!! Oh and it also sounds pretty epic!

I personally think its the way forward as you basically get a nice fairly new modern engine without any internal ware issues as you do in now ageing vr's (well unless fully rebuilt at great expense) and even better is that it replaces almost all of the rados old dodgy electrics/sensors etc which was where my old vr was struggling!

Think you will like it if ya go out for a spin.... There is of course the potential to take it further but right now I am very happy to have a car that's just an update on what was always a fun little car, it's stopped me buying a 911 for now so I can focus on saving for a house!!

Hoping my rado is sorted in the next 2 weeks and a mini meet would be great!

Rams we'll have a chat about charginf etc, i personally thinik turbo would be better in the long run and ive heard obd2 is better for mapping! be good to have a catch up soon :)

Hoping my rado is sorted in the next 2 weeks and a mini meet would be great!

Rams we'll have a chat about charginf etc, i personally thinik turbo would be better in the long run and ive heard obd2 is better for mapping! be good to have a catch up soon :)

Mini meet sounds good. I'm sure I can muster 5 or 6 other rados

Quick update

Picked up new plug for seat and sunroof clip and wire kit and the factory wiring loom arrived from Germany to make the seats electric. Happy days so this weekend I can have them all rigged up and to fit my seat belt stalks.

Edited by Rams

Just seen this, looks the nuts! Good job! Your seats are getting me thinking ;)

What did I tell you mate! You've got the bug well and truly. Lol

There's not 1 piece of plastic apart from the rear speaker shelves, Oh and the steering cowling and drivers side foot plastics but watch this space.

The dash under trays are being re done... I want the insides re trimmed in alcantara so it nicer than the flocked internals. My door pockets have been trimmed in alcantara to not scratch the leather.

A chap on here has taken his Recaros to be trimmed by Tim so you'll be seeing another set to lure you in I'm sure.

This weekend I will finish the polishing on the RH's and buy 4 new tyres Monday for them and should be able to rig up seats this Saturday so it's a Corrado weekend. Plus I'm meeting the buyer of my old seats in Dorchester.

The supersprint 6 branch arrived today and they guys in the shop laughed! He's chopped the end off and then I dropped it off today to be blasted and when it's ready it will go back to have a new flexi and flange stainless welded and offered up to the car. Then I need to have it coated and then wrapped or I may go for a ceramic coating?

Will post up asking peoples opinion about ceramic coating as I heard the drag cars coat the inside too.....

HI Craig, I've been putting off having my recaros re-trimmed until I found someone local who could replicate the VW trimming nicely and I reckon yours is the best I've ever seen. I'd also be up for a meet once I've got mine up and running again....I'm just down the road near Ringwood. Your cars getting better by the day pal, looks spot on now and the re-trim just looks awesome.

Could you pm me his number?

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

By the way if you want the connectors without the yellow wiring (so you can crimp straight to the wire) I have a few you can have.

I wonder how difficult this little part will be to replace? Anyone done this before?

It holds the guide arms for the sunroof deflector and its plastic.

Cheers

Where do you start? I was hoping it might just pop out but perhaps I need to somehow get underneath it? Any tips gratefully received. Cheers For that

It was ages ago i had it out, but i think you start by sliding the roof until its half way, the pop the liner off and push it all the way back exposing the innards,then it's a whole load of jiggery pokery but it doesn't take too long.

Edited by KipVR

Thank you KipVR, legend.

Just got home after rigging up the new loom for the seats and all done. The passenger back rest is not adjusting electrically but it's going up and down so hoping it just needs a new switch but it was dark by the time we got them in. Will check tomorrow. I think these are still available for ARZ and the likes...

Fitted seat belt stalks but fitted them over the covers and thinking they should be inside the covers but will check again how it goes.

Really need to take my OBD2 loom out and get rid of some excess wiring that's not needed so there's less mess behind the fuse board.

Wheels are taking a bit longer and my good friend Kev has been giving them a final wet and dry and polish and painted the rim inside and will build them back up so hopefully wheels on in a week or so. Got to have them fitted to see what they look like even though the winter is here!

Quick update, replaced the 2 small bolts that slide the window up and down and now the door is closing nicely and with a good sound.

Had the Supersprint Manifold blasted and the end chopped off and on Monday the car will go in to have the new end stainless welded and will probably install a flexi to cope with any flex. Will have a new flange and all new bolts.

Gave the mani 2 good coats of High Temp paint to protect it. Just need to start wrapping it and a friend lent me a special tool and some stainless wire instead of the stainless clips as he said they are not as good as what he gave me.

Also managed to file down the plastic handle pull part so the chrome pulls don't catch and worked out where I needed to shave it and it doesn't touch at all. Just need to do the passenger side. Might do it Tom.

Edited by Rams

[ATTACH]70614[/ATTACH]

Had the manifold done today, so just need to finish wrap and paint the new end but its a perfect made to measure fit.

[ATTACH]70615[/ATTACH][ATTACH]70616[/ATTACH]

That's how it looked when I bought it....

Edited by Rams

i was going to say mate that welding is awful and i know youre standards but then i read thats the before pic! let us know how the install goes, and hopefull get out fpr a drive before xmas gritters get out on the roads ;)

What did I tell you mate! You've got the bug well and truly. Lol

There's not 1 piece of plastic apart from the rear speaker shelves, Oh and the steering cowling and drivers side foot plastics but watch this space.

The dash under trays are being re done... I want the insides re trimmed in alcantara so it nicer than the flocked internals. My door pockets have been trimmed in alcantara to not scratch the leather.

A chap on here has taken his Recaros to be trimmed by Tim so you'll be seeing another set to lure you in I'm sure.

This weekend I will finish the polishing on the RH's and buy 4 new tyres Monday for them and should be able to rig up seats this Saturday so it's a Corrado weekend. Plus I'm meeting the buyer of my old seats in Dorchester.

The supersprint 6 branch arrived today and they guys in the shop laughed! He's chopped the end off and then I dropped it off today to be blasted and when it's ready it will go back to have a new flexi and flange stainless welded and offered up to the car. Then I need to have it coated and then wrapped or I may go for a ceramic coating?

Will post up asking peoples opinion about ceramic coating as I heard the drag cars coat the inside too.....

Hi mate,

Sorry just seen this reply! Your leather everything is looking great, especially in black as it is a lot more subtle. I think if I were to go down the same route in beige it would be totally overkill! One downside to all the freshness I've found is that I always have to make sure i'm clean and hopefully not wearing jeans for fear of damage! Just got some rims I've been searching years for, so that'll be sorted next

Nick

Having just looked through the entire thread this car is superb..

You must be over the moon with it...

Thanks buddy, its getting there!!

I'm currently sat in Bobbys garage whilst he's removing the supercharger kit, I woke up at 6 this morning, girlfriend saying your mad! Checked oil etc and topped up tyres and off I went!

To say I got here rather quickly would be accurate, great drive with eyes like a hawk looking for 5 0....

Just need to organise a few parts to complete my setup but it will include, Supersprint mani, big valve head, quaife diff, rebuilt box, spacer gasket and ARP bolts. Lightened flywheel and a few other bits here and there.

I have got 2 more engines 1 of which is OBD2 and speaking to Bobby he said the obd1 and 2 heads are slightly different and the 2 allows more lubrication to the chains.

He's seems like a really decent chap and you can tell he loves this setup and I've heard the machine running and it sounds just fantastic!

Will update things soon!

Love it rams you're mad for it!! im going to have the slowest vr in b'mth... good luck pal..

Well I couldn't have mine being the slowest!! Lol

---------- Post added at 4:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:11 PM ----------

Bobby is a good guy,

Good luck with the installation

To be honest, he came across so well and passionate about this setup and that really aided the whole transaction.

I'm enjoying the research and have learned so much, thanks to Craig for advise and information and I guess I'm going to need to meet this chap 'Vince'.